Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotel Deals
Reload this Page >

(FARE GONE) Sheraton South Portland - $19/night (MERGED THREAD)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

(FARE GONE) Sheraton South Portland - $19/night (MERGED THREAD)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2006, 12:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
I've been hassling back and forth with these complete idiots and from my own personal perspective Ellen Calas GM and Jason are morons plain and simple.

This part about everyone being made aware of the changes that no SPG points etc were to be given is new to me and complete Bull.... since that is a flat out lie.

The only way I found out was after the fact through my request to get the points etc.

am I surprised at their response to you ashaboe, heck no

to the SPG and SPG portland maine management

Originally Posted by ashaboe
Stayed one Oct. weekend and wrote to SPG requesting for stay and point credit the week after.

(1) SPG's response:
"I have spoken with the Revenue Manager at the Sheraton South Portland
Hotel trying to clarify why the rate on your reservation had been
changed. Mr. Scott has informed me that when the rates had been loaded
onto the website, they had been loaded incorrectly. When the error has
been discovered, they were then corrected and the incorrect rates were
to be honored. He also advised me that all guests that had been made
aware that because of the hugely discounted rate they were receiving,
there was to be no stay, night or Starpoints credit given."

(2) My response to SPG:
"I have never been made aware that 'there was to be no stay, night or Starpoints credit given.' It is very dishonest for the hotel (Mr. Scott) to claim to the contrary. It would be appreciated if you could request Mr. Scott or the hotel to prove that this was communicated as claimed, how this was communicated, and that they have on record that I have indeed accepted this."

(3) SPG's response:
"I must ask you to direct any further inquiries regarding this matter to
the hotel directly. You may contact the hotel using the information
provided below, please request to speak to Jason Scott Revenue Manager.
The Sheraton South Portland Hotel
Phone: 207-775-6161
Fax: 207-775-0196
Email: [email protected]"

(4) I emailed all the correspondence above plus the following to Jason Scott:
"I would appreciate your clarification to my follow-up question regarding the
hotel's alleged notification of the change in the terms and conditions
of the room rate."

(5) After more than a week of non-response, I forwarded all the above to SPG plus the following:
"Regretfully I must direct this matter back to SPG as the hotel does not
even have the courtesy to respond to my email as you have provided in
your previous email.

I am sure that this hotel has violated one or more terms of its contract
with SPG and therefore it is in SPG's best interest to uphold the
integrity of its program and help me resolve this matter."

(6) SPG final response:
"Stay and night credit posted."

Just to clarify, I was never contacted by the hotel regarding any of my three reservations (two subsequently cancelled).
Old Oct 31, 2006, 1:00 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Platinum & LFT Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Silver, Airmiles Onyx, Aeroplan, Avis President's Club
It is... was a disappointment, not being able to earn Starpoints & stay credit for these stays. I know... 19$, but it was booked on the SPG website and it's not like we're earning a whole bunch of Starpoints with these 19$ rates, for 2 nights in my case. Although I did spend money at the restaurant and got some Starpoints from that, I still think they should give us the Starpoints & stay credit for the stay itself. I mean, they did change the terms & conditions without our approval and that's the issue here. However, I would like to remind everyone that there's a big possibility that we lost our "chance" of earning Starpoints & stay credit because some members booked rooms for weeks and weeks, just to gain platinum status or for just being greedy. Sometimes when you abuse the system, it bites you back and everybody pays... and in this case, I think that's what happened.

Last edited by NBSPGMEMBER; Oct 31, 2006 at 7:35 pm
Old Oct 31, 2006, 7:12 pm

Programs: AS Gold/SPG Gold/Hertz PC
Sorry if my post is a little bit long, but some people may have missed the last part about points and stay credit finally being given by SPG due to (I presume) the non-respone on the part of the hotel. I thought the title of the post was clear, but I guess the point got lost in the back and forth that I posted.
Old Oct 31, 2006, 7:30 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Platinum & LFT Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Silver, Airmiles Onyx, Aeroplan, Avis President's Club
Sorry if my post is a little bit long, but some people may have missed the last part about points and stay credit finally being given by SPG due to (I presume) the non-respone on the part of the hotel. I thought the title of the post was clear, but I guess the point got lost in the back and forth that I posted.
No, it was a great post and all the details were relevant. You handled this matter brilliantly. Way to go! Glad you got the Starpoints & stay credit ^
I don't think most of us here will get the same treatment though...
That Jason dude is still there I heard, this must be one of the worst mistake (not to say something else ) of his career, if the mistake was his... Ellen must be very annoyed by this whole mess also.

Last edited by NBSPGMEMBER; Oct 31, 2006 at 7:44 pm
Old Oct 31, 2006, 7:40 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro 2MM, HH Diamond, WoH Globalist, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by NBSPGMEMBER
Was there last weekend! I really enjoyed my stay & Portland! The staff was very friendly and courteous. No mention of the 19$ rate and I got an early checkin & SPG guestroom on the 4th floor. I was initially given a room on the SPG 8th floor in front of the ice & pop machine, but when I returned to the front desk, they gave me a room on the SPG 4th floor (no ice & pop machine on this floor). I did not want to be difficult with my 19$ rate, but that thing was loud and I was there for 2 nights to relax. Anyone else was there last weekend (October 20-22)? This is it, the Sheraton South Portland is now my only place to stay when in the Portland Maine area. Cheers!
We were there the same weekend, and I think we got the room you moved from! We arrived a little after 6 p.m. on October 20, at the height of the rainstorm and were just happy to get in from the rain. The room was great, and we never noticed any noise from the ice machine.

Our stay was great, and the staff was extremely friendly. No mention at all of the $19 rate. No Starpoints either, except on other charges.
Old Oct 31, 2006, 7:53 pm

Originally Posted by Flying Buccaneer
We were there the same weekend, and I think we got the room you moved from! We arrived a little after 6 p.m. on October 20, at the height of the rainstorm and were just happy to get in from the rain. The room was great, and we never noticed any noise from the ice machine.

Our stay was great, and the staff was extremely friendly. No mention at all of the $19 rate. No Starpoints either, except on other charges.
Maybe my hearing is just too good, I don't know? Or maybe the ice machine was just a little noisier because I'm French, we do complain alot. No really me and my girlfriend are really picky about where we stay and which room we get, yes even for 19$. Sorry you got my leftover room.

Last edited by NBSPGMEMBER; Nov 7, 2006 at 3:27 pm
Old Nov 1, 2006, 3:20 am

Programs: all the big ones.. no LCCs for me
I thought this was a SPG owned hotel. Maybe I'm wrong on that though. Just what I thought I read once.

I am sure that this hotel has violated one or more terms of its contract
with SPG and therefore it is in SPG's best interest to uphold the
integrity of its program and help me resolve this matter."

(6) SPG final response:
"Apologies for not meeting your expectation. Stay and night credit posted."

Just to clarify, I was never contacted by the hotel regarding any of my three reservations (two subsequently cancelled).
Old Nov 7, 2006, 12:45 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro 2MM, HH Diamond, WoH Globalist, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by NBSPGMEMBER
Maybe my hearing is just too good, I don't know? Or maybe the ice machine was just a little noisier because I'm French, we do complain alot. No really me and my girlfriend are really picky about where we stay and which room we get, yes even for 19$. Sorry you got my left over room.
No complaints here! It was a nice room. In fact, for $19/night, it was outstanding!
Old Nov 7, 2006, 6:34 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by JoeBagodonuts
I thought this was a SPG owned hotel. Maybe I'm wrong on that though. Just what I thought I read once.
Someone did mention that earlier in this thread or in a related Starwood forum thread.

There are people who still have stays upcoming on this rate.
Old Nov 7, 2006, 7:52 pm

The Sheraton South Portland Hotel is owned and operated by Starwood Hotels. I noticed the brassy sign on the wall next to the check-in counter a couple of weeks ago.

Last edited by NBSPGMEMBER; Nov 10, 2006 at 1:02 pm
Old Nov 9, 2006, 9:33 am

Programs: United GS, Fairmont Platinum,SPG LTPlat, Hilton Diamond, MarriottGold..like the rest of the world
Yes, this is a corporately owned and operated Starwood Hotel.

The reality, however, is that the land this aging hotel sits on is becoming exceedingly valuable -- probably to the point that, within a few years, this place will get bulldozed and something fabulous built on the same parcel of land.

In recent months, virtually all of the Sheraton's neighbors have been torn down and new big box stuff is going up. (The 8 screen movie theater is gone, the Pizza Hut is about to get pushed over, the IHOP is gone, etc.)

Additionally, there has been a dramatic growth in Portland area high end lodging options in recent years with a new Courtyard and a new Westin coming in the next year.

I strongly suspect that Starwood makes a fair profit on this little hotel, but they must also acknowledge that it has severe limitations (such as meager meeting space and a tiny ballroom) and a dated, cumbersome property.

I predict it'll be a two story Crate and Barrel in under five years!
Old Nov 10, 2006, 12:57 pm

Originally Posted by sbtinme
Yes, this is a corporately owned and operated Starwood Hotel.

The reality, however, is that the land this aging hotel sits on is becoming exceedingly valuable -- probably to the point that, within a few years, this place will get bulldozed and something fabulous built on the same parcel of land.

In recent months, virtually all of the Sheraton's neighbors have been torn down and new big box stuff is going up. (The 8 screen movie theater is gone, the Pizza Hut is about to get pushed over, the IHOP is gone, etc.)

Additionally, there has been a dramatic growth in Portland area high end lodging options in recent years with a new Courtyard and a new Westin coming in the next year.

I strongly suspect that Starwood makes a fair profit on this little hotel, but they must also acknowledge that it has severe limitations (such as meager meeting space and a tiny ballroom) and a dated, cumbersome property.

I predict it'll be a two story Crate and Barrel in under five years!
It's true, we also noticed that the area is changing on the that side of the Maine Mall Road. There's something coming on that spot, that's for sure. However, I did not think there's be a possibility that the hotel could/would/should be demolished. Especially since the Westin downtown is very slow coming... Secondly, a hotel in a mall/big box area does blend in well within that kind of a commercial sector. Usually in zoning by-laws, hotels are permitted and encouraged in business parks, big box areas or commercial power centers as we call them here. It would be a bad decision from Starwood to move from that lucrative area and not build another one on that spot or in the vicinity of the Maine Mall. I also noticed that the vacancy rate in the Maine Mall is particularly high compared to what've seen in the past. A Crate & Barrel would fit nicely in the vacant Filene's Home location. (I wonder what they'll do with the Filene's (department store) and Filene's Home (homegoods) locations? Whether the hotel stays or not, I hope it will, because I really enjoyed my last stay there and hope to have many more.

Last edited by NBSPGMEMBER; Nov 11, 2006 at 10:43 pm
Old Nov 11, 2006, 9:17 pm

Programs: United GS, Fairmont Platinum,SPG LTPlat, Hilton Diamond, MarriottGold..like the rest of the world
NB --

Don't get me wrong, I share your sentiments! Realistically speaking, however, one must acknowledge that much of what makes a modern hotel successful these days are lacking at the existing Sheraton. It's cursed by a very cumbersome design in two towers with precious little meeting space -- and, in full service hotels, large meeting and event revenue is where the substantial operating profit lies. This hotel is hindered substantially in that regard.

Additionally, the very land it sits on has likely jumped ten fold in the past 15 years.

Yes, you see vacancies at the Maine Mall now, but that's largely because the May Corp decided to merge most of their east coast brands into the Macy's brand, which left us with an empty tenant (former Filene's) at the Maine Mall -- and, for that matter, virtually every other regional mall in New England's six states. Any other vacancies this summer are due to the major upscaling of the existing mall space to far better tenants. My business is in retailing real estate and I've seen the master plans for any number of projects immediately all around this area and it's all about to burst from growth.

Starwood has made the decision many times in recent years to simply sell off properties that are still profitable because their land value (or other use value, in the case of so many NYC properties) has become staggering. Keep in mind, this old Sheraton is about to be competing full on with a brand new Courtyard (built in its shadow), the new Residence Inn and TownePlace Suites (1/4 mile away), the full service Marriott above it on the hill, etc. There has been a plethora of better competition that has moved into this turf and the Sheraton is losing its competitive edge. Its cursed architecture prevents them from being able to do much more with the existing plant.

Much of that is the foundation for my prediction that this hotel has a few more years left in her before it's lights out. At some point it becomes a poor business decision to remain in an existing, profitable location if your offer to abandon it is overwhelming.
Old Nov 13, 2006, 2:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
Stayed here twice in past week.

For info there is a 1000 1st stay and 2500 2nd stay "New England" promo on right now.

also this:

https://www.spgpromos.com/quarterly/...=VTY_SPG_promo
Old Nov 13, 2006, 3:34 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
wouldn't you have to earn stay credit to earn the bonus?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.