FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hotel Deals (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hotel-deals-607/)
-   -   Tulum Mistake Rate (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hotel-deals/2057931-tulum-mistake-rate.html)

Eleib1 Nov 5, 2021 11:47 am

Tulum Mistake Rate

Hi all,

Long time lurker, first time poster hoping to benefit from your expertise.

I recently booked a hotel in Tulum for $29/night on Expedia when normal paid rates are $5-600. At the time of booking the rate was ~$500 on the hotel website, however $29 on Expedia. I booked a refundable rate and made the rookie mistake of electing to “pay at property” vs. have my card charged now. Within hours the Expedia rate again matched the hotel site’s rate, however I do have an Expedia confirmation.

Clearly this was an error - should I call the property and attempt to confirm or gamble and try to check in, knowing they either may not have a room available and/or may require I pay BAR?

Thanks!

nk15 Nov 5, 2021 12:32 pm

Originally Posted by Eleib1 (Post 33704946)
I booked a refundable rate and made the rookie mistake of electing to “pay at property” vs. have my card charged now.

See, these are the things that happen when you don't post these rates here...:p

Eleib1 Nov 5, 2021 12:34 pm

Just found this forum! Will certainly be a beneficiary and contributor going forward - my apologies!

tonei Nov 5, 2021 2:53 pm

I wouldn’t call, but would also try to book something refundable at a different property as a backup

Eleib1 Nov 5, 2021 3:01 pm

Agreed - however I’d have to cut the cord on the refundable stay before checking in and gambling on this hotel, no?

Carolina2Cali Nov 5, 2021 3:27 pm

Originally Posted by tonei (Post 33705418)
I wouldn’t call, but would also try to book something refundable at a different property as a backup

Absolutely this. Make sure it is same day refundable or be willing to lose the first night...

Originally Posted by Eleib1 (Post 33705440)
Agreed - however I’d have to cut the cord on the refundable stay before checking in and gambling on this hotel, no?

Your odds, without knowing anything about the property, are maybe 50/50. I did this once in Vegas, 100 bucks instead of 1000, and they honored it, 4 night stay, was awesome. But... often times places don't, sometimes they do... if they DON'T honor it, will you still be going to Tulum? The beaches there are truly incredible. Calling gives you some peace of mind, but allows them a million opportunities to cancel you... I guess it really depends who would end up being out, the hotel, or Expedia... if they do allow you the stay. If I were going to Tulum regardless, I would NOT call. If I were only going because I got a sick deal and now I still have to pay a flight, bring my family, etc... then maybe I would call but I'd say you're better off to not, and then follow the quote above's advice.

Carolina2Cali Nov 5, 2021 3:30 pm

Originally Posted by Eleib1 (Post 33705440)

Alternatively, book something for the SECOND night to the end of the the trip if you can only find rates/options that require you cancel the night before. This way if you have to pay a last minute rate and everywhere is more expensive, it'll only cost you the one night's rate.

_fx Nov 5, 2021 6:09 pm

Do not call. First, it gives them a good opportunity to cancel since you aren't literally standing at the front desk where you could potentially cause a scene in front of other guests. Second, even if they do "confirm" it, you aren't actually guaranteed anything -- some underpaid front desk employee saying "si, you have a reservation" over the phone doesn't mean a manager won't catch it later, say the front desk employee was wrong, and try and cancel the booking anyway.

I agree with the other commenters it's a toss-up ... I've had these types of bookings both honored and denied in equal measure. If you wanted to go to Tulum anyway, book a (semi) refundable backup option. If you are only going because of the deal...get ready to gamble.

EDIT: By the way, I wouldn't beat yourself too much over not choosing the prepaid option. While it would've been the better choice, it still wouldn't have eliminated the possibility of the hotel trying to charge you more on arrival, or claiming Expedia was wrong somehow.

Eleib1 Nov 8, 2021 1:39 pm

Thank you all for the thoughtful responses! I will certainly heed your advice and NOT call and rather book a refundable rate for the second night onward. I was planning to go to Tulum on these dates anyway, however searching through a short list I stumbled across this mistake.

arollins Nov 8, 2021 3:16 pm

The number one rule on errors like this is to never, never, ever, call the provider, OTA, etc. Do not attract attention to the error, and then have them immediately correct the glitch. Always book a refundable back up plan, in case things go south. Just like you found it by mistake, others will, and may notify others as well as call the supplier. This is where things will tend to go south.

At some point, you might receive an email from the provider alerting to the error in rate, and possible cancelation. They may also offer some sort of "special" deal due to error. This is where you need to decide your course of action, as you are still within time. If you never receive such email, and get to destination, the odds of cancelation are minimal, but don't be surprised if there is some pushback. Some years back I got in on a Starwood suite $15 error rate. I had to travel to destination anyway, but also booked a back up accommodation just in case. I arrived at property, check-in clerk hands me the key, and never once mentioned anything about the rate. The room, certainly was not a suite, but I did not complained, normal room rates where around $200 or so. My reservation was for 2 days, and I received full credit, alas, normal room, but still save $$$.

tatterdema Nov 8, 2021 3:50 pm

Score! Great deal. I have had it go both ways, but have never been denied or charged more when I arrived. They have always caught it and emailed me in advance. Make sure you come back and let us know how it turned out.

allbrosca Nov 9, 2021 8:32 am

I too have never been cancelled when I have shown up at the hotel. Lots of times I have been contacted before travelling and cancelled. Best ever was $4 a night for a junior suite in Ottawa with breakfast included. It was mentioned at the front desk. I can't recall if it was at check in or out, but the clerk said something to the effect of "nice rate isn't it" and when I acknowledged it was, he let me know that the person responsible for the mistake was terminated. Another time I had booked 2 weekends and when contacted agreed to pay the full rate for one of the weekends, but in the end I cancelled both because the dates didn't work out. A few other times it was just cancelled outright, but long before arrival.

pseudoswede Nov 10, 2021 1:44 pm

I'm kind of in a similar boat at the moment.

Booking.com accidentally (and it appears for only a few hours) made the fully cancellable base hotel rate of a Cancun hotel as all-inclusive. I took a screenshot a few hours after purchase.

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...d4614d86b5.png

Basically it said the same thing except without the "Non Refundable".

I called the hotel to address a few other matters, and I asked them to confirm that I was booked the all-inclusive rate. They said no, and I would be charged $180 per person per night if we wanted all-inclusive*. The hotel said to contact Booking.com. I called Booking.com, and they escalated it to a supervisor. A few days later, they said their website doesn't show it as being all-inclusive (duh), they would no honor the hotel rate as all-inclusive, and to contact the hotel.

I panicked and booked a new reservation directly with the hotel--at roughly twice the price of my original reservation (but a $1000 less than if I were to walk up with my original reservation).

I've been calling Booking.com and continuing to escalate up the chain, but they continue to refuse to acknowledge that their website was buggy. I cut my losses and asked for a refund and keeping my newer reservation.

* - I thought about just paying that almost-$2k charge then challenging it with my credit card company, but I would most likely lose since my beef is with Booking.com and not the hotel directly.

Lessons learned:
  • Sometimes you do have to call. Being surprised with a $2k upcharge at check-in would've really ruined my vacation.
  • Never use booking.com/Priceline again.

nk15 Nov 10, 2021 3:46 pm

Booking.com has never honored a hotel rate issue, AFAIK. As opposed to the Expedia group, where there is a chance.

divrdrew Nov 11, 2021 11:36 am

Show up with your printed confirmation clearly showing the rate. Have a back up just in case. Have fun. Tulum has some beautiful beaches and a great adventure park nearby.