Reload this Page >

Tulum Mistake Rate

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tulum Mistake Rate

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22, 2021, 11:36 pm

I suspect they'll refuse the booking if really Tulum, and not one of the all-ins outside of Tulum. Tulum only has independently owned small hotels and the owners are not likely to be accommodating. If high season best have an alternative as most hotels will sell out.
Old Nov 23, 2021, 9:29 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by erik123
I suspect they'll refuse the booking if really Tulum, and not one of the all-ins outside of Tulum. Tulum only has independently owned small hotels and the owners are not likely to be accommodating. If high season best have an alternative as most hotels will sell out.
I actually had the inverse logic. This is indeed one of the ~20 room boutique eco hotels on the beach in the 'zona hotelera' rather than an all-inclusive mega resort a bit north. I assumed that they may be more flexible and if my res hasnt been cancelled by the time I arrive, they are inclined to work with me and have a good guest ambassador vs. a vacant room (unlikely to be booked on such short notice).

My check-in is Feb 10 and I cannot find any (reasonable) hotels with cancellations for Feb 10 (assuming I would start a new reservation at a backup property on the 11th), thus I have a hotel that is refundable through 2/4. If my original reservation hasnt been cancelled at that point, I plan to cancel my refundable reservation and gamble checking in, knowing I may have to book a last minute property on the ground...
Old Nov 23, 2021, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
VD weekend, probably the worst possible time in all first quarter...
Old Nov 24, 2021, 7:54 am

I once got a mistake rate at the One & Only Cape Town through Expedia. Seem to recall I booked refundable as when I came across the rate, plans weren't sure. $67 vs. $670+ at the time. I was fairly nervous checking in but hotel made no point about it when I checked in. Great rate, didn't like the hotel... even at that rate. Caveat, this must be coming up on 10 years...
Old Nov 27, 2021, 1:55 pm

If just you maybe I'd chance it. If you are with others I'd resolve it before going.
Old Dec 13, 2021, 10:18 am

Question

Originally Posted by Eleib1
Just found this forum! Will certainly be a beneficiary and contributor going forward - my apologies!
"Long time lurker, first time poster hoping to benefit from your expertise."

If you are a long time lurker how did you "just find" this forum?
Old Dec 13, 2021, 10:22 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mrdeals805
"Long time lurker, first time poster hoping to benefit from your expertise."

If you are a long time lurker how did you "just find" this forum?
Long time lurker of the site, largely for credit card specific forums…just found this particular forum
Old Jan 28, 2022, 8:24 am
Original Poster

Still no word from the property and date of stay is 2/10 - will keep you all posted!
l0rd likes this.
Old Feb 22, 2022, 12:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Eleib1 - how did it go?
CaroFos likes this.
Old May 12, 2022, 8:18 am
Original Poster

Forgot to update everyone - it worked! They saw that it was fully paid when I arrived!
steveholt and NightlinerVIE like this.
Old May 21, 2022, 11:03 pm

My rec. Do not call . Show them the original documentation if the try charging you more . If they do pay higher rate . Do a chargeback and submit your original documents to cc company .
Old May 25, 2022, 7:28 am

Great! Thanks for keeping us posted.
Old Jun 4, 2022, 4:13 pm

Not a hotel but read the fine print.

Originally Posted by _fx
Do not call. First, it gives them a good opportunity to cancel since you aren't literally standing at the front desk where you could potentially cause a scene in front of other guests. Second, even if they do "confirm" it, you aren't actually guaranteed anything -- some underpaid front desk employee saying "si, you have a reservation" over the phone doesn't mean a manager won't catch it later, say the front desk employee was wrong, and try and cancel the booking anyway.

I agree with the other commenters it's a toss-up ... I've had these types of bookings both honored and denied in equal measure. If you wanted to go to Tulum anyway, book a (semi) refundable backup option. If you are only going because of the deal...get ready to gamble.

EDIT: By the way, I wouldn't beat yourself too much over not choosing the prepaid option. While it would've been the better choice, it still wouldn't have eliminated the possibility of the hotel trying to charge you more on arrival, or claiming Expedia was wrong somehow.
I bought some NFL tickets via a link I think I got from Travel Zoo, club seats for $65. Paid for them and three days later got an email from the TN Titans saying the rate was incorrect and here is your refund. Read the fine print and while crappy they could do it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.