Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotel Deals
Reload this Page >

Booking (or hotel) cancelled reservation

Old Jun 14, 20, 3:38 pm
Original Poster

Dear friends,

I booked a hotel at Nice for me and my three children because the price was abnormal fantastic - 4 persons, from 2.8.2020 to 9.8.2020, 4 ****, near by the sea and centre of Nice = 237 euro (it was confirmed by email). Now the same stay is for 1.450 euro. The day before yesterday I received a message from Booking, that my reservation was cancelled because my bank card is invalid.

But that is not truth. I have bank card by Unicredit bank, it is valid till 05/21, my day limit is ca. 3750 euro, I can do international payments (I bought the flight Vienna - Nice at the same day I booked the hotel).

Could you advise me what shall I do now? How can I defend of it?

Thanks for your help.
Old Jun 14, 20, 4:36 pm
Company Representative - Autoslash

Booking.com's standard procedure is to give you notice if your card is invalid and give you 24-48 hours to supply a new card. If you don't meet the deadline then they will cancel it. As for you card, it sounds like it's a debit card as opposed to a credit card. While it may have a Visa or Mastercard logo on it, a credit card is not the same as a debit card, and this may be why you ran into problems.

Then again, it sounds like the rate you got was far too low for a 7-day stay, so it was either a mistake rate or it was abnormally low due to COVID-19 and the hotel is probably having seller's remorse now that business is picking back up. You could appeal to the hotel and/or Booking.com, but if they notified you and gave you some time to provide a new card and you did not, then you don't have much of a leg to stand on.

Last edited by AutoSlash; Jun 14, 20 at 5:42 pm
Old Jun 14, 20, 4:56 pm
Original Poster

Yes, I have common bank card (probably debit card) - Mastercard. They gave me 24 h to use new card but I stated number of my card again because I thougth that some mistake happened. I was not informed about type of card that I had to use. My reservation was not cancelled for the type of a card but for invalidity of my card. When I paid the stay at the same moment of booking it would be all right?
Old Jun 14, 20, 5:41 pm

OK so they did give you time, but you let it lapse. Probably zero chance of getting it reinstated. They probably required an actual credit card--not a bank card. There is a difference and just because one is accepted doesn't mean the other always is accepted. Unfortunately, you learned a tough lesson here.
Old Jun 15, 20, 12:31 pm
Original Poster

The cancellation of my booking was grounded on the false reason. Therefore is unlawfull. The obligation to ensure me lodging continues. I am prepare to seek protection of french court. Emergency ruling would help.
Old Jun 15, 20, 12:59 pm

Originally Posted by Guiscard1 View Post
The cancellation of my booking was grounded on the false reason. Therefore is unlawfull. The obligation to ensure me lodging continues. I am prepare to seek protection of french court. Emergency ruling would help.
As always, you are free to pursue all remedies available to you under the law. Good luck!
Old Jun 16, 20, 5:47 am
Original Poster

I visited my bank. My card is valid, I can do international payments. Everything is OK. But The Jay Hotel by HappyCulture on Friday contacted my bank to find the validity of my card and made a claim of reservation the amount 0 €. Yes, the claim was 0 €!!!. After that it cancelled my reservation for invalidity of my card. I will fight, it is not normal!
Old Jun 17, 20, 3:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT GLD, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Guiscard1 View Post
I think the courts in Europe are a bit busy right now dealing with all sorts of serious claims instead of considering an "emergency ruling". I don't think it's unlawful for them when the OTA can't authorize the credit card for whatever reason.

As others mentioned often times Debit Cards (bank cards) don't work properly with online transactions which can be either a POS or bank issue. Unless you can provide them with another (working) card I suggest to move on. You won't win this case and it just costs you time and money to pursue it.
Old Jun 23, 20, 2:56 am
Original Poster

I obtained a message from the hotel. None problem with my bank card, but "a system error". Probably nobody is liable for this situation. It makes a fool of me, I won't tolerate this. The fight is go on..

"We feel sorry about this situation but your booking was part of a system error explaining the extremely low rate you booked for the property. On this period the rates are higher than 200€ and for this reason Booking.com cancelled the booking. This is not an illegal act as the rates are so low that it does not cover the fees for the breakfast. We feel sorry about the situation and this mass issue that happens and we thank you in advance for your understanding."

Search this Thread
Search Engine: