Wiki Posts
Search

Orbitz Puerto Rico $75 Orbucks

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2018, 9:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA, DL, AK, UN, CN
Orbitz Puerto Rico $75 Orbucks

I just booked a hotel in Puerto Rico and got $75 in Orbucks. I had no idea this promotion was going on, and just lucked out. There wasn't anything on the hotel page. Hotel was only $130, so this is a really nice bonus. I have another 6 nights in Puerto Rico, and I was planning to use Citi 4th night free but might have to leverage this promotion if I can redeem multiple times. Seems a bit too good to be true though! Happy Hurricane Season from Puerto Rico!

https://www.orbitz.com/g/pt/ms-dest-...el?langid=1033

Promo link, terms don't have Puerto Rico hotels (Says $75 Savannah looks like boilerplate)

https://www.orbitz.com/rewards/promotions/
Jaimito Cartero likes this.

Last edited by ryandelmundo; Sep 14, 2018 at 9:09 am
Old Sep 14, 2018, 9:05 am
Original Poster

Just made another booking and looks like I will get the bonus again. It also stacks with 10% off BOOKNOW code. Book via Topcashback for another 7% back on prepaid bookings. Wow, this is gonna pay off my next holiday

Terms say one bonus per account, how does Orbitz usually enforce this?
Old Sep 14, 2018, 12:07 pm

You can just make different orbitz accounts by using other email addresses.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 10:50 pm

From T&C:

Earn $75 Orbucks on Select Puerto Rico hotels - Terms & Conditions

To be eligible for this promotion, you must be an existing Orbitz Rewards member signed into your Orbitz Rewards member account at time of booking or, if you are not a member, join Orbitz Rewards at time of booking. Book a qualifying standalone hotel (not booked as part of a package or as an add-on to a standalone flight or car booking) with a total price including taxes and fees of $200 or more, and receive $75 in Orbucks for that hotel booking.
Old Sep 15, 2018, 10:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Does anyone have experience with these promotions? They are definitely not enforcing the $200 minimum. But the bonus $75 in Orbucks supposedly expires 2 months after you book the reservation -- which is how it's displayed on my Orbucks "activity" page. When are you able to use those bonus points (they don't seem to be immediately available in my account)? And what if your stay is this winter, after the bonus points seem to expire?
Old Sep 17, 2018, 2:54 pm
Original Poster

Already got 2 bonuses posted to my account guess they don't care about one per person. I got the points the day after checking in, for a one night stay.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 6:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ryandelmundo
Already got 2 bonuses posted to my account guess they don't care about one per person. I got the points the day after checking in, for a one night stay.
Right -- it seemed to take more than a day, but the $75 Orbucks promo credit did finally hit my account. It does seem to expire in 60 days, though. Does anyone know what happens if you use the credit and then have to cancel your original reservation? Or if you make a reservation with your promo Orbucks credit and then want to change your travel plans (like you need to cancel after the 60 day window)? It would certainly be nice to know how "certain" I should be with my plans.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 10:55 pm

If you cancel your 75$-credit-eligible reservation AFTER the credit has been used, you will be refunded the full amount minus your "credit deficit" created by the cancellation (which won't exist, of course, if you haven't used the 75$ credit yet).
Old Sep 18, 2018, 6:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hopeful_me
If you cancel your 75$-credit-eligible reservation AFTER the credit has been used, you will be refunded the full amount minus your "credit deficit" created by the cancellation (which won't exist, of course, if you haven't used the 75$ credit yet).
Thanks. That makes sense. What about the situation where I need to cancel/change the hotel reservation I make WITH the credit? Like I have the $75 credit, I use it to book a new reservation in the next 60 days (the time limit) but then - after the 60 days -- I need to cancel/change that reservation? Do I just lose the $75 credit, or do I somehow retain it for another reservation? It's useful to know because if it's "not refundable" I'll only use this credit for travel plans that are very firm. And 60 days isn't that long a time for me to book a reservation that I know I won't need to change.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 8:20 am

Originally Posted by iahphx
Thanks. That makes sense. What about the situation where I need to cancel/change the hotel reservation I make WITH the credit? Like I have the $75 credit, I use it to book a new reservation in the next 60 days (the time limit) but then - after the 60 days -- I need to cancel/change that reservation? Do I just lose the $75 credit, or do I somehow retain it for another reservation? It's useful to know because if it's "not refundable" I'll only use this credit for travel plans that are very firm. And 60 days isn't that long a time for me to book a reservation that I know I won't need to change.
In my experience with other promotions, in case of cancellation you won't get back any credit with expiry date in the past.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 9:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hopeful_me
In my experience with other promotions, in case of cancellation you won't get back any credit with expiry date in the past.
Yeah, unless someone can tell us otherwise, that's what I would expect. I guess I need to use these promo Orbucks carefully.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 11:49 pm
Original Poster

Wow best promo ever. Too bad I quit my job Sept 19 and left Puerto Rico. I was switching hotels daily to max this out. Now to cash out the 6 nights of bonus I got, not to mention the Orbucks I legit earned. As for stacking, it looks like terms of TopCashback and friends say that you get the 7% on undiscounted rates. So if you apply the Orbitz 10% off code, you only get 1-3% back. Makes sense....there is only so much money to go around. So you have to choose where you want the bonus.

Thanks to folks for mentioning you can book now and lock-in the credit. I thought I needed to use in 60 days. That would have been OK, but I'm now somewhere where AirBNB is better, so best to save it for some USA travel during ski season.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.