Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotel Deals
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Ziva Los Cabos - mistake rate not honoured - advice?

Old Dec 5, 17, 8:45 am
Original Poster

Two weeks ago I booked a 5-night stay from April 16-21 for 4 adults in an Ocean View Master Double at the Hyatt Ziva in Los Cabos, Mexico for what I believed was either a Black Friday sale of sorts or a mistake rate. My reservation was $1,452USD for 5 nights. I discovered the price through one of the blogs, so never booked any non-refundable items like flights or anything like that. I made my reservation through Booking.com.

Yesterday, I had contacted Hyatt to confirm that everything was alright with my reservation and that they would accept 4 adults in the room (as the website states that it is intended for 2 adults, and 2 children).

This morning I awoke to an e-mail from Booking.com stating that it was an error, but they offered me a compromise price of $2,565USD. It still seems like a reasonable price, but not the deal I had first anticipated.

I was wondering if anyone had any advice in negotiating or seeking mediation to ensure that the original price is honoured in a situation such as this. My e-mail from booking.com is below:

Thank you for choosing Booking.com.
We tried to contact you by telephone to discuss an error in the rates for your booking with Hyatt Ziva Los Cabos - All Inclusive, but it was not the appropriate time.
We apologize on behalf of Booking.com and Hyatt Ziva Los Cabos - All Inclusive for this error. The actual rate for Hyatt Ziva Los Cabos - All Inclusive is $4275, and not $1452.8 as mentioned on your reservation.
We ask for your understanding in reaching a middle ground. The accommodation has confirmed that they would like to offer you rate of $2565.
Please consider this offer, and contact us at your earliest convenience to confirm if you can accept it. We thank you for your understanding and we are available 24 hours a day to help reach an agreeable solution.
Please note the incorrect rates cannot be accepted by the property since is an obvious mistake.
This falls under the Terms and conditions specify on Booking.com webpage, for your convenience we have added the link below.

Thank you again for choosing Booking.com.
Kind regards,
--

Booking.com Customer Service Team
Old Dec 5, 17, 8:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
As you said, you thought that it might be an error and you did not book anything in reliance on the rate.

Your options are: 1. Cancel even though it is non-refundable, for a full refund to your original form of payment, 2. Agree to the offer (which seems reasonable), 3. Try negotiating for something better (but understand that you are working through an intermediary and the longer you delay or keep the balls in the air, the greater the chance that the property simply backs out and you are stuck with the proper high rate.

If you do #2 or #3 , make certain that the 4 adults in 1 room issue is specifically included in the agreement. Do not handle that as a separate matter as it's not just about the room but food, liquor and other matters at an all inclusive.
Old Dec 5, 17, 12:36 pm

Programs: Lots of faux metal
This is crap and you should fight it. How is $290/night an obvious mistake? Booking.com screwed up; they sold the room as 1 adult instead of 4.

Go to Hyatt.com and you can see that the Member Rate for 1 adult is about $300/night for a Master Double and $350/night for Ocean View Master Double
Old Dec 5, 17, 12:51 pm

Check again with Hyatt and ask for the res number so you can pull it up on the website. Reply to the email with a copy of the confirmation and state that you expect it to be honored as it is a confirmed reservation that you have already paid for.

I had a similar issue with booking.com and they reached out to Marriott (in my case) and the hotel confirmed the booking at the given rate.
Old Dec 5, 17, 3:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Be careful of doing this. The property may simply cancel the reservation and there is nothing you can do about it.

So long as your money is refunded, you also have no damages.

What you do is all about risk tolerance.
Old Dec 5, 17, 5:14 pm

I was looking at this rate as well.
It was the same price wether it was one or four people in the room.
Old Dec 6, 17, 7:56 am
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for the advice - I ended up finding some success in the end. Given that I was travelling with 4 people, I really wanted to find a way to make this work, and on the day of my reservation, I had found the same price on both Hyatt.com (which was not responding to my attempted reservation quickly), and Booking.com, so I went with the latter.

I responded to their e-mail, highlighting that 2 weeks had passed and I had also documented exchanges with Booking.com and Hyatt to confirm that my reservation was indeed in good standing. I countered with booking.com saying that I found a room for $3400 and change on their website, although with a Pool View, rather than an Ocean View. Given that this amounted to a $700 difference, I recommended a reduction in price by $700 and a downgrade to a Pool View room and after a few hours they agreed. So I am now confirmed with an $1800USD stay. In the end I am pretty happy with how this all turned out.
Jaimito Cartero, ne52 and trooper like this.
Old Dec 6, 17, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Several years ago, Booking.com had an error rate at the Waldorf Astoria in NYC. They told everyone they were sorry, and blew us off. After several back and forth emails, they put the reservation back in the system so we were able to stay. My advice, escalate this, and be polite about it.

dh
Old Dec 9, 17, 5:32 am

Why would you go with a 3rd party when you could've booked direct at the same price?
Old Dec 9, 17, 5:39 pm

Programs: Skywards Platinum
Originally Posted by jeffandnicole View Post
Why would you go with a 3rd party when you could've booked direct at the same price?
Did you not read his post?

Originally Posted by YOWflyer81 View Post
on the day of my reservation, I had found the same price on both Hyatt.com (which was not responding to my attempted reservation quickly), and Booking.com, so I went with the latter.

Last edited by whimike; Dec 10, 17 at 2:32 am
Old Dec 20, 17, 3:53 pm

Programs: UA/AA
FYI...........

https://www.dansdeals.com/points-tra...rice-mistakes/
Old Dec 22, 17, 7:16 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, IHG Gold Ambassador, Marriott Gold
Out of curiosity, how many of us here actually got this deal? I was very surprised there wasn’t a thread on this until now.

Presumably, the OP couldn’t book it because Hyatt.com actually took the hotel offline for a bit to correct this error but booking directly was definitely a way to go since it was not prepaid and, at least for me, they are honoring the deal:

We recently experienced a system error that resulted in the display of incorrect room rates at our hotel. This was our mistake, and we have addressed it.

While the Hyatt.com terms and conditions permit the Hyatt Ziva Los Cabos to cancel reservations in this situation, the Hyatt Ziva Los Cabos has decided to honor the rate, date(s), name(s) and number of person(s) for which your reservation was originally booked*. We look forward to welcoming you to our Los Cabos resort, but please do note that any change to the date(s), name(s) or number of person (s) on your reservation will affect the rate.
Old Dec 23, 17, 10:36 am

Is it possible for someone who received the email from the GM to forward to me as proof? I have a reservation via booking.com and they are asking for proof of the GM email.

PM me for my email address. Much thanks and happy holidays!
Old Dec 26, 17, 7:35 pm

Hyatt Email?

I’d also appreciate a copy of the email. Hyatt’s site kept timing out, so I booked with booking(dot)com. They cancelled the reservation but are willing to reconsider if I can provide a copy of the email. A forward or pdf copy would be great! please PM for email address.
Old Jan 1, 18, 1:34 pm

Programs: Hyatt
I got my rate got honored.
I booked this hotel when there was an error in their system as per above. The booking itself was made and confirmed November 22, 2017.

My stay is for 4 nights in May, 2018
Price: 290.56$ / night
Room: Presidential Suite
Booked: Using the Hyatt App

About three weeks after my booking, more specific December 15, I got this email from the general manager at the property;
(let me know with a pm if you need a copy of gm:s email. I'd be happy to send you one)

Dear Mr. Andaz,

Thank you for making your reservation at the Hyatt Ziva Los Cabos under confirmation number XXXXXXXX.
We recently experienced a system error that resulted in the display of incorrect room rates at our hotel. This was our mistake, and we have addressed it.

While the Hyatt.com terms and conditions permit the Hyatt Ziva Los Cabos to cancel reservations in this situation, the Hyatt Ziva Los Cabos has decided to honor the rate, date(s) and name(s) for which your reservation was originally booked*. We look forward to welcoming you to our Los Cabos resort, but please do note that any change to the date(s) or name(s) on your reservation will affect the rate.

Additionally, we would like to share with you the exciting news that whale watching season has commenced in beautiful Los Cabos. We encourage all of our valued guests to witness this natural spectacle from our oceanfront restaurants, the binoculars in our lobby, or even from the guestroom balconies , April is probably the last month for seeing these magnificent animals until it all starts again in the fall.

Mr. Andaz, we thank you in advance for your understanding and we look forward to welcoming you to the Hyatt Ziva Los Cabos!

Best regards,

Last edited by Andaz; Jan 1, 18 at 2:35 pm

Search this Thread