Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotel Deals
Reload this Page >

Can AAA member get Canadian AAA Rate?

Old Jul 1, 16, 12:56 am
Original Poster

I am an AAA member and I booked a local hotel through aaa.com. It is an independent hotel, not a chain. When I got my confirmation email, it said this:

CANADIAN AAA MEMBERSHIP RATE VALID AAA ID REQUIRED AT CHECK-IN. VALID AAA ID REQUIRED AT CHECK-IN. MAX. OF TWO ROOMS PER STAY.

Uh oh, I am not a Canadian AAA member, I am an AAA member in California! Do you think I will have any problems at check-in? Also I thought "Canadian AAA" was actually called CAA - not sure why they aren't calling it that. Wondering if they will honor the rate? I noticed on the hotel website, the AAA rate was about $20 more than the rate on the AAA site, which is why I booked it on the AAA site. So it seems the "Canadian AAA" rate is $20 cheaper.
Old Jul 1, 16, 8:32 am

I doubt you will have any problems. I think maybe once out of 50 stays using AAA rates at various hotels have I ever been asked to produce a card. You have to figure these hotels have different corporate, executive, promo, etc rates, for the most part they aren't going to give you the 3rd degree over the rate you booked. And even if they do ask I doubt the front desk clerk will make a distinction over where your AAA card was issued.
Old Jul 1, 16, 11:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: statusless these days
Originally Posted by dixie626 View Post
I noticed on the hotel website, the AAA rate was about $20 more than the rate on the AAA site, which is why I booked it on the AAA site. So it seems the "Canadian AAA" rate is $20 cheaper.
Exchange rate perhaps?
Old Jul 1, 16, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Most chains have a universal rate for all North American clubs. I don't see why an žndependent company would be anyp different.
Old Jul 1, 16, 2:06 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Elite, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by dixie626 View Post
I am an AAA member and I booked a local hotel through aaa.com. It is an independent hotel, not a chain. When I got my confirmation email, it said this:

CANADIAN AAA MEMBERSHIP RATE VALID AAA ID REQUIRED AT CHECK-IN. VALID AAA ID REQUIRED AT CHECK-IN. MAX. OF TWO ROOMS PER STAY.

Uh oh, I am not a Canadian AAA member, I am an AAA member in California! Do you think I will have any problems at check-in? Also I thought "Canadian AAA" was actually called CAA - not sure why they aren't calling it that. Wondering if they will honor the rate? I noticed on the hotel website, the AAA rate was about $20 more than the rate on the AAA site, which is why I booked it on the AAA site. So it seems the "Canadian AAA" rate is $20 cheaper.
It's actually AAA and CAA. There is no such thing as the Canadian AAA. http://www.caa.ca AAA and CAA are affiliated with each other and you get the CAA/AAA rate regardless of which of their clubs you belong to.

I imagine the Canadian hotel website quoted in Canadian dollars. What about the AAA website? US or Canadian dollars?
Old Jul 1, 16, 2:37 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CalItalian View Post
It's actually AAA and CAA. There is no such thing as the Canadian AAA. http://www.caa.ca AAA and CAA are affiliated with each other and you get the CAA/AAA rate regardless of which of their clubs you belong to.

I imagine the Canadian hotel website quoted in Canadian dollars. What about the AAA website? US or Canadian dollars?
I booked through the US AAA website. The hotel is a California hotel and I live in California too. Strange!
Old Jul 1, 16, 3:05 pm
Original Poster

Thanks All. Everything was in US dollars because I was just using US websites - and the hotel is a US hotel. Nothing "Canadian" at all about it, until I saw the confirmation email!
Old Jul 3, 16, 8:44 pm

Worth a try
Old Jul 5, 16, 6:28 pm

Programs: SPG LT Plat, Hilton G,Priorty Club G, AC E
No problem whatsoever....have used my CAA card in both countries....

....and my folks have used their AAA card in both. Totally interchangeable.
Old Jul 5, 16, 6:43 pm

Programs: AC E50K, Flying Blue, Accor Gold, ANA, Avios
You will have zero problems, and as others stated there actually is no Canadian AAA. It is CAA only, but they are all affiliated and you can use your US AAA card to get the discount.

(and in fact you could get discounts overseas as well via affiliated clubs)
Old Jul 7, 16, 10:32 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
IIRC we had Alberta Automobile Association, don't recall if it just used CAA emblem.
Old Jul 7, 16, 11:31 am

I've never had anyone check and since you do have a AAA card the odds of the staff insisting on a Canadian AAA card is really low.
Old Jul 7, 16, 4:48 pm

Programs: AC E50K, Flying Blue, Accor Gold, ANA, Avios
Originally Posted by Zooter View Post
I've never had anyone check and since you do have a AAA card the odds of the staff insisting on a Canadian AAA card is really low.
It would be zero.
Old Jul 7, 16, 5:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Yes Yes Yes

Here are three chain's policies

http://www3.hilton.com/en/portals/aaa/index.html

http://m.hyatt.com/mt/www.hyatt.com/hyatt/help.jsp

http://deals.lemeridien.com/Le-Parke...S&categoryId=6
Old Jul 7, 16, 8:25 pm

I was able to use my AAA card in Australia a few years ago to get Australian Auto Assoc rates. I called the hotel in advance, asked their policy, got an e-mail confirming that they accept the US card, and bingo! Rarely hurts to ask (if it doesn't spoil it for others).

Have a great time in Canada.

Search this Thread