Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotel Deals
Reload this Page >

Is Hotels.com "free night" better than rewards program?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is Hotels.com "free night" better than rewards program?

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2018, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by vincewy
Correct, this is what I have heard and been told. In addition, there's frequent incidents of ecards getting hacked with $$ getting drained out before you get to use them, given the risk involved I would just find portals that gives additional discounts on top of Secret Price and still gives you credit nights toward free night.

Another option is Capital One Venture Rewards credit cards for additional 10 points for each dollar spent, but this is only going until 2020.
Thanks for your information
Old Jun 5, 2018, 3:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by tentseller
clarification:
So you will not get the credit towards the free night if you pay for your stay with Hotels.com giftcards?
Correct, this is what I have heard and been told.
My experience as a frequent user of Hotels.com gift cards directly contradicts this: I have ALWAYS gotten free night credit with Hotels.com after using a Hotels.com gift card.

Oh, and the hotels.com website directly contradicts you (and whoever is telling you this) as well. Screenshot provided. Feel free to provide receipts now that I have shown mine.

In addition, there's frequent incidents of ecards getting hacked with $$ getting drained out before you get to use them
https://www.raise.com/guarantee

For one year from the date of purchase, we cover:
  • Cards that are not active
  • Cards with an inaccurate balance
  • Cards delivered as a different brand than ordered
  • Physical cards not received within 30 days from the date of purchase
I have literally never had a problem with a hotels.com electronic gift card I have purchased from Raise- I did get refunded for a physical card I did not get timely delivery for (not a hotels.com card). I also tend to consolidate my hotels.com gift cards into ones that are NOT listed in my Raise.com account using balance transfers as a security measure. I also don't leave balances sitting on gift cards for longer than a year.

Last edited by eponymous_coward; Jun 5, 2018 at 3:37 pm
Old Jun 5, 2018, 6:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
My experience as a frequent user of Hotels.com gift cards directly contradicts this: I have ALWAYS gotten free night credit with Hotels.com after using a Hotels.com gift card.

Oh, and the hotels.com website directly contradicts you (and whoever is telling you this) as well. Screenshot provided. Feel free to provide receipts now that I have shown mine.

https://www.raise.com/guarantee

I have literally never had a problem with a hotels.com electronic gift card I have purchased from Raise- I did get refunded for a physical card I did not get timely delivery for (not a hotels.com card). I also tend to consolidate my hotels.com gift cards into ones that are NOT listed in my Raise.com account using balance transfers as a security measure. I also don't leave balances sitting on gift cards for longer than a year.
Thanks for the update on your experience and your tips.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 10:19 am
Suspended

Programs: booking
Originally Posted by davie355
Don't forget you also have Marriott Gold with your United status.
i think so
Old Jun 8, 2018, 3:59 am

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
Originally Posted by tentseller
clarification:
So you will not get the credit towards the free night if you pay for your stay with Hotels.com giftcards?
Wrong, I've used Hotels.com GC's for many bookings and received credit towards the free night AS LONG AS you don't use any of their, OTHER, frequent discount codes. I will use their discount codes when it's 10% (or more) off, as that's the same deal as the reward night and results in an immediate 10% discount. So, let's go to the T&C's:

"You will not collect Hotels.com® Rewards nights for:
  • Free nights that you redeemed through Hotels.com® Rewards
  • Free nights that you received as part of a special promotion
  • Booked nights that you do not complete due to a change or cancellation
  • Bookings made when not signed in to your account (although you can attach them to your account before you complete your stay)
Additionally, you will not collect nights for:
  • Bookings made at an ineligible property
  • Bookings made before you joined Hotels.com® Rewards
  • Bookings made with an affiliate Hotels.com site
  • Bookings made through Group Travel Services
  • Hotel bookings made as part of a package
  • Some bookings made using a discount coupon, voucher, or code."
eponymous_coward likes this.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 10:03 am

Programs: Hilton Honors
I'm not picky, so I just stick with my hotel rewards + points.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 9:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
How does it work with hotels.com if you need to book 2 rooms? Do you get credit for both rooms, or just one of them? The question is further complicated by the fact that there is another offer where if you book 2 nights, hotels.com will add 1 free night's credit to your account. I presume that the usual exclusions apply with this offer, i.e. a huge majority of the hotels offered on the site, but I've somehow been able to make it work in the past.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 5:11 pm

Yes you generally get credit for multiple nights with hotels.com if you book more then one room.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 2:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
However, I booked the two rooms separately one after another, because there was a price difference (there was only one room left at the cheaper rate). Booking them at the same time yielded a higher rate overall. And I put the second booking in the name of the person occupying the room, which I don't think will be a problem for hotels.com. I fear that one only gets the credit if the booking is on one folio though. I will report back what happened after the stay is completed in 10 days time.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 3:13 pm

Originally Posted by Concerto
However, I booked the two rooms separately one after another, because there was a price difference (there was only one room left at the cheaper rate). Booking them at the same time yielded a higher rate overall. And I put the second booking in the name of the person occupying the room, which I don't think will be a problem for hotels.com. I fear that one only gets the credit if the booking is on one folio though. I will report back what happened after the stay is completed in 10 days time.
The credit will go to the owner of the Hotels.com account it was booked under despite the name on the reservation. Any hotel reward points will only be given to the registered guest based on the hotels T&C with 3rd party booking sites.

I've booked hotels for friends and family with my Hotels.com account and their name and I received the credit even though I did not stay at the property.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 6:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Concerto
Originally Posted by rc408
The credit will go to the owner of the Hotels.com account it was booked under despite the name on the reservation. Any hotel reward points will only be given to the registered guest based on the hotels T&C with 3rd party booking sites.

I've booked hotels for friends and family with my Hotels.com account and their name and I received the credit even though I did not stay at the property.
That has been my experience as well. It goes to the hotels.com account that the room was booked under.
Putting actual occupants name with their room make checking in easier for them.
Old Aug 30, 2018, 6:54 am

Programs: AAdvantage ExP 1MM, Smiles/GOL Diamond, TudoAzul/AZUL Diamond, HHonors Gold, Accor Platinum
I check if there's a discount code giving more than 10% off. If there is, I'll apply it, otherwise I'll go for the 10 nights x 1 free.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 2:49 am
Suspended

I use hotel.com to book non-chain hotels only. Many chain hotels these days dont give you stay credits/points if you don't book directly with them. But if you can earn points/stay credit with the chain hotels while booking through hotel.com. and the price is the same, why not earn both? That's a no brainer.

Last edited by Mama; Sep 4, 2018 at 3:04 am
Old Sep 7, 2018, 2:10 pm

I ditched hotels.com due to their short expiration of credits.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 5:54 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club
I received the following email last week.Introducing Gold Exclusives

To say thanks for being a Gold member, we're giving you Gold Exclusives. These include access to lovely stuff such as free breakfast, airport transfers and spa vouchers during your stay at selected hotels. Just keep an eye out for the gift box icon when booking.

Stay like a VIP

These properties have been highly rated for excellent service and as a Gold member, you'll enjoy guaranteed free WiFi*, complimentary room upgrades as well as early check in and late check out (subject to availability) when staying at one. Don't forget you'll get Gold Exclusives here too.

Look out for properties with the VIP Access icon.

Seems that it's a little like an actual status now. Will have a look around and report back.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.