Reload this Page >

St. Regis / Starwood - $20-$40/night in Nov. 2015

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2014, 12:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP BA Gold, TK Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AS 100K, QR PLT, SAS Gold, IHG Spire, AMR
Originally Posted by mrtibbs1999
As I've said. Anyone who thinks they have a case post the claim details here. No one will. It's all bluster and it gets very boring very quickly.

The major downside comes when someone who isn't experienced in the law gets totally screwed following the advice of the "let's get 'em" crowd on this forum. Starwood emails sent to customers across multiple properties in this instance show that it is being managed centrally. There will be hundreds of bookings and there is no way on earth they will want to settle lest it gets out and they have to honour millions of dollars worth. Starwood don't give two hoots about the cost or the publicity( of which there will be non). Outside of this strange world we on this forum inhabit no-one gives a damn.
Sadly, you have no clue what you are talking about. There are numerous examples of consumers standing up for their rights/reservations and the US legal system (either via court order or mediation) resolves this in our favor. I know of 10+ cases and I am sure there are many more.

Just because you are unaware of those cases does not mean they don't exist.

Just earlier this year SPG reverted their one of their cancellation decisions. Blanket email to cancel, some consumers put up a fight and a very fair resolution was found for all parties.
Old May 31, 2014, 12:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP BA Gold, TK Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AS 100K, QR PLT, SAS Gold, IHG Spire, AMR
my beef in this whole thing, whether it is LX, EY or SPG, is the unfairness and onesidedness of the approach to business.

I book a non-refundable hotel in Birmingham, England, but meant to book Birmingham, AL, I am on the hook for the full amount. Hotels make a mistake and reserve the right to correct the mistake at no cost to them.

I book a flight for 7/6/14 but meant to book for 6/7/14, I am on the hook.

If travel providers were to give us the same rights they demand for themselves, I would be very understanding and forgiving of mistake fares/rates. But not like this.
Old May 31, 2014, 12:45 pm

Programs: BA, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, KLM Gold, AB Gold, Accor Plat, BW Diamond, Qantas Svr, Etihad Svr
Originally Posted by Deltahater
Quote:

As I've said. Anyone who thinks they have a case post the claim details here. No one will. It's all bluster and it gets very boring very quickly.

The major downside comes when someone who isn't experienced in the law gets totally screwed following the advice of the "let's get 'em" crowd on this forum. Starwood emails sent to customers across multiple properties in this instance show that it is being managed centrally. There will be hundreds of bookings and there is no way on earth they will want to settle lest it gets out and they have to honour millions of dollars worth. Starwood don't give two hoots about the cost or the publicity( of which there will be non). Outside of this strange world we on this forum inhabit no-one gives a damn.

Sadly, you have no clue what you are talking about. There are numerous examples of consumers standing up for their rights/reservations and the US legal system (either via court order or mediation) resolves this in our favor. I know of 10+ cases and I am sure there are many more.

Just because you are unaware of those cases does not mean they don't exist.

Just earlier this year SPG reverted their one of their cancellation decisions. Blanket email to cancel, some consumers put up a fight and a very fair resolution was found for all parties.
I know exactly what I'm talking about. Come back and post when you've got a judgment. Are you also happy to pick up the tab for anyone who gets in trouble trying to litigate this on your advice? I suspect not.
Old May 31, 2014, 1:18 pm
ski

No plans for any of this - Tried to find thread, but same scenario on flyertalk several years back - can't remember if it was Arizona or California Desert resort, think hotel ended up honoring res for some, but not others depending on booking site. Remember at least one writing about experience in small claims where they were successful.
Old May 31, 2014, 1:32 pm

That might be the case in the UK, but in the USA we are sue-happy and get very bizarre results. This might just be one of them
Go ahead and waste your time and money by filing a claim against Starwood. It would make for an entertaining episode on Judy Judy.
Old May 31, 2014, 1:48 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist

so some people act like entitled a- holes and a company gives in because it's not worth it. that doesn't make your theory of entitlement morally or legally defensive.
Old May 31, 2014, 2:37 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, NWA,HHonors, Hyatt BF
Originally Posted by Adam1222
so some people act like entitled a- holes and a company gives in because it's not worth it. that doesn't make your theory of entitlement morally or legally defensive.
Oh boy....here we go again..... hunker down.
Old May 31, 2014, 4:53 pm

I know exactly what I'm talking about. Come back and post when you've got a judgment. Are you also happy to pick up the tab for anyone who gets in trouble trying to litigate this on your advice? I suspect not.
Can you substantiate your position? Why do you think you know about non-disclosed settlements?

You should know well that settlement agreements are often encompassed with an NDA.

I am not advising anybody to litigate. I am advising people not to listen to your posts.

There are clear judgments/reports/settlements that 100% contradict your position.
Old May 31, 2014, 4:54 pm

Originally Posted by lazard
Go ahead and waste your time and money by filing a claim against Starwood. It would make for an entertaining episode on Judy Judy.
Where did I say that I was going to file?
Old May 31, 2014, 4:59 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting

There are clear judgments/reports/settlements that 100% contradict your position.
Indeed. It's always interesting when the lawyers working as in-house or retained counsel on such matters discuss such matters after the lips have been loosened by a smooth drink, a smooth talk or a quest for a smooch or more.
Old May 31, 2014, 6:43 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Starwood Gold
my beef in this whole thing, whether it is LX, EY or SPG, is the unfairness and onesidedness of the approach to business.

I book a non-refundable hotel in Birmingham, England, but meant to book Birmingham, AL, I am on the hook for the full amount. Hotels make a mistake and reserve the right to correct the mistake at no cost to them.

If travel providers were to give us the same rights they demand for themselves, I would be very understanding and forgiving of mistake fares/rates. But not like this.
Big +1 on this. The lawyers can debate it out over legalese, but many companies, including SPG, have not been forgiving about any mistakes on the part of the consumer. I could especially see if you had been one of those consumers that this would really rub you the wrong way.
Old May 31, 2014, 6:46 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by TravelTexan
Big +1 on this. The lawyers can debate it out over legalese, but many companies, including SPG, have not been forgiving about any mistakes on the part of the consumer. I could especially see if you had been one of those consumers that this would really rub you the wrong way.
I find that the hotels tend to be more forgiving than the airlines, when I make a mistake. But given they too aren't always forgiving, I agree that what's good for the goose should be good for the gander too.
Old May 31, 2014, 6:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT

Originally Posted by TravelTexan
Before we all decide that the rules are unfair and one-sided, don't forget that there's a huge and important difference in these situations. When the hotel posts a rate by mistake, we know that it's a mistake. That's why we post and discuss it here. When we book a ticket to the wrong destination or on the wrong date, the airline/hotel/etc. has no way to know that we've made an error.

So what the court is protecting against is situations where one side has made a mistake and doesn't realize it, but the other side does know that it's a mistake and tries to take advantage of it. And, yes, these transactions are of the sort that the hotel/airline is never going to know that we've made a mistake when we don't. That's the structural nature of consumer transactions.
Old May 31, 2014, 8:32 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by ski
No plans for any of this - Tried to find thread, but same scenario on flyertalk several years back - can't remember if it was Arizona or California Desert resort, think hotel ended up honoring res for some, but not others depending on booking site. Remember at least one writing about experience in small claims where they were successful.
It was the La Quinta Resort in La Quinta, California. I know, I was the OP of it on BFT and someone started a thread over here based on it. It was a Priceline NYOP deal where all you had to bid was the minimum for a resort (and others were upgraded to it by bidding the minimum from lower classes). Hilton wouldn't honor it but Priceline ended up honoring only your first room reservation per account/email. I ended up in a ground floor spa villa...as did my friends...

For those of you who THINK you could not win a case against Starwood, you are wrong. There's already case history on this. Start reading around post 601. You've got a lot to read (and retract for thinking you couldn't). http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hotel...nta-ca-41.html

Last edited by CalItalian; May 31, 2014 at 8:48 pm
Old May 31, 2014, 9:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
Or they could decide not to waste their time showing up at all. Nearly all small claims procedures allow the defendant (Starwood in this case) to appeal an adverse small claims judgment to the regular court system and start from scratch. In that case, you, not Starwood, would have wasted that first day in court.
Originally Posted by Boraxo
Au contraire. I get a default judgment, and then an order directing the sheriff to go to the cash register at the nearest Sheraton. Of course, SPG can appeal, but they will then be spending $$$$ for lawyers and filing fees (Superior Court fees are steep compared to Small Claims). There is no requirement that I respond to the appeal - in which case the Court can simply dismiss the case. Either way SPG loses $$$ - it's just a question of who they pay.
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
No need to be condescending. I know nothing about California law and procedure; however, in Massachusetts the defendant in a Small Claims case has the right to appeal to the regular (Superior or District) court system. There the case is handled like a new case, as if it had never been in Small Claims. And you are still the plaintiff. Except now you have procedural and evidentiary rules with which to comply, pleadings, discovery, etc. I somehow doubt that the average FT member knows what to do with Interrogatories.
Nothing like a little research. California has the same provision as Massachusetts in this regard. In Small Claims matters, defendants have the right to appeal, and it's not an appellate procedure; it's to a trial court and the case is tried there as if the Small Claims case had never existed. Cal. Code Civ. P. § 116.770 (2006); see, e.g., ERA-Trotter Girouard Assoc. v. Superior Court, 50 Cal. App. 4th 1851, 1853-54 (1996). What's more, the subsequent judgment is completely final and not subject to further appeal.

And you're right, -- there's no requirement that you respond to the appeal at this level. But since it's a new lawsuit and the Small Claims case effectively doesn't exist, if you fail to respond you will be defaulted with no further appeal or other mechanism for changing the default. What's more, if you fail to show up or pursue your claim (i.e., default) at that level and Starwood wins by default, it may ask for and receive counsel fees for your making them pay a lawyer to go to court unnecessarily. So if the court grants Starwood's request for fees, you would be paying Starwood's attorney fees.

So not only would Starwood get a new trial if it loses in the Small Claims process, but 1) you would be subject to compliance with discovery formalities and all of the technical rules (of which you are most likely unaware if you're not a lawyer), 2) if you fail in compliance with all of the procedural rules you are subject to losing your case for that reason alone, 3) if you lose at this level you're completely finished, -- no further appeals of any sort.

So, were I Starwood's counsel, I might consider advising them to ignore the Small Claims process completely and not waste their money. Then take the appeal for a new trial in the regular court system and send you some discovery.

Last edited by Dr. HFH; May 31, 2014 at 10:15 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.