Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotel Deals
Reload this Page >

[EXPIRED] Millennium Resort ,Patong Beach 3 - 25

[EXPIRED] Millennium Resort ,Patong Beach 3 - 25

Old May 22, 14, 2:45 pm

Programs: SPG preferred, AA, United
Originally Posted by travelisfree View Post
If you're a pervert coming here, you'll have to like, try to get lucky during the day time or something.
LOL! Thanks for the heads up!
Old May 22, 14, 3:39 pm

Checked in. Hotel is nice. Patong is hell. I'll save my thoughts about patong until I tell you about the hotel...
Anyways, as we all know, the 4 star hotel test is if it provides bath robes... ad it does.

Checkin

Normal. I will mention that at no point in time did I see the rate... but this is normal for these fares. What are they supposed to do? Gasp, give me a drink.

Actually... they do give a welcome drink.

Room

Rooms are 4 star for real (not like a germany 4star). Place to sit, big rain shower (or a big tub), and a comfy bed. Normal but really nice. And fast internet, like way faster than the Hyatt or Holiday Inns here.

What would be epic is if you could status match and then apply room upgrades and get one of the rooms that goes directly into the pool. That would be awesome.

Property

It's attached to a big upper class mall. However, while in the hotel you don't know the difference. It's a big property (with rooms on both sides of the mall???) with everything you need.

The pool is large, and the gym is the best I've seen in a while. Rower, pull up bar, lots of weight machines, treadmills, etc...

Blah blah blah, it's a hotel.

Location and my thoughts on Patong

It's not on the beach, it's a block away. This is because no one comes to patong for the beach. People come here either because: A) they didn't know better or, B) they're perverts.

Walk outside this hotel at midnight and walk down the party street, and then walk back to the room and wash your eyes with soap.

It makes Las Vegas look like the Vatican. Sex tourism is so big here that...

Rather, I've noticed that a lot of women here tend to prefer to be coupled with old white men that would generally be classified as undesirable back in the US.

My tip would be: 1) rent a bike and see other beaches. and 2) don't leave the room after dark if you have kids or 20/20 vision.

Also, Patong is expensive. Food is like 150+ THB here... which is $5... but if you've been anywhere else in thailand, you know things are generally 30 THB.

Also #2, The taxi Mafia is freaking terrible here. A Taxi to go one block is 200 THB. I kid you not. To get here from the airport is like 1,000 THB. It's insane. And they would rather sit and not work 99% of the day, and then screw you when you are forced to ride with them. Morons. They bully the hotels and other tuk tuks, so they are scared to do anything on their own.

Anyways, I'll be hiding in my room for the next 6 days if you need me.
Great review. I booked this deal without knowing much about Patong, or Phuket at all really. I'm travelling with my wife and 18 month old, so it really sounds like I should forego the Millennium booking and just pay for something else. Not on the beach, no "resort" feel, can be really loud etc.
Old May 22, 14, 4:10 pm

Programs: UA, AA, SPG, HH
Originally Posted by ryanthekiwi View Post
Great review. I booked this deal without knowing much about Patong, or Phuket at all really. I'm travelling with my wife and 18 month old, so it really sounds like I should forego the Millennium booking and just pay for something else. Not on the beach, no "resort" feel, can be really loud etc.
Bangla is the seediest area of Patong (but it is literally just one street) and Patong itself can be a bit of a tourist trap but that being said there are plenty of beaches/areas that are much more low key within easy driving distance. I wouldn't let some of these posts scare you into thinking Patong is a must-avoid
Old May 22, 14, 4:18 pm

Programs: LH SEN, DL Plat
Originally Posted by HoKo View Post
Bangla is the seediest area of Patong (but it is literally just one street) and Patong itself can be a bit of a tourist trap but that being said there are plenty of beaches/areas that are much more low key within easy driving distance. I wouldn't let some of these posts scare you into thinking Patong is a must-avoid
I agree. And if you don't like Patong, you can get out easily for day trips. Taxi/food is overpriced, but still cheap compared to Vienna and the most of Europe/US. If you can forget the fact that you pay more as a farang you will have a nice stay.
Old May 22, 14, 8:51 pm

http://www.tripadvisor.ca/Hotel_Revi...ch_Phuket.html

This is the place I was thinking of booking. $65/night but no breakfast included. Tough to decide whether to stick with Millennium at $10/night or make the switch to a quieter beach. Anyone travelled to the area with a toddler care to weigh in? How much would a taxi be from Patong to Kata? About 20 minutes drive?
Old May 22, 14, 9:59 pm

Programs: Tim Horton's Gold
How much would a taxi be from Patong to Kata? About 20 minutes drive?[/QUOTE]

Patong to Kata
+/- B400
Old May 22, 14, 10:06 pm

Thanks
Old May 22, 14, 11:05 pm

Programs: Who cares... status is a Red Herring.
In regards to the civil unrest... Obviously since I was told to stay in after 10pm, I went out at 11pm. It barely looks any different. I think things shut down early, but not everything.

Plus, it'll wash over... I hope. But no protests, no military. It's all in Bangkok.

In terms of Patong for $13-$26 a night... it's a nice hotel and you could always rent a car to see nice beaches. Pervert street is indeed not very big. And most perverts don't like light, so nothing get's "seedy" until night. If I was here with a family I would rent a car or something... Maybe $25-$30/day added.

Which it sounds like it's a break even $30+$30 vs $60. But whatever hotel you need to book, you have to get there. With a car you got the to/from covered plus the ability to see all the amazing beaches. I could go either way, I love being on the beach personally.
Old May 22, 14, 11:22 pm

Programs: UA, AA, SPG, HH
In regards to the civil unrest... Obviously since I was told to stay in after 10pm, I went out at 11pm. It barely looks any different. I think things shut down early, but not everything.

Plus, it'll wash over... I hope. But no protests, no military. It's all in Bangkok.
So did it seem like any of the bars / nightlife venues were ignoring the curfew and stayed open past 10?
Old May 23, 14, 3:14 am

Programs: TK Elite, HH G
Originally Posted by ryanthekiwi View Post
I have stayed at Millennium Resort before and was in general very pleased with this property. I have not experienced noise issues there. Only drawback is lack of free wifi in the rooms and too many mosquitoes in the public areas Ask for a room at the more quiert "Lakeside" part of the hotel (for Deluxe rooms and above; Superior rooms are at Beachside)

It is certainly not a "resort" on the beach, but you will have to pay a lot more for such property, in particular for high season (Nov-Feb/March). I suggest to rent a car and drive to the various beaches. I would recommend the remote Laem Singh beach near Surin or Paradise Beach near Patong (the latter is South of Patong and easily accessible by rented bike or motor bike). A day trip to Phuket Town and the huge night market would also be a good choice.
Old May 23, 14, 8:17 am
Original Poster

Ok time for a reality check here. Patong is a busy resort, a very busy resort in fact and is popular with people from all walks of life from all over the world including lonely old men and young families alike.

Bangla the ''naughty street'' is as has been mentioned just one street in Patong with a few off shoots with ''girly'' bars and such entertainment.

If you are of a sensitive nature to such things and Bangla upsets you then simply avoid this street at night. Many people including those with small children in fact like to take a stroll up this ''walking street'' just to people watch and take in the quite extraordinary atmosphere that abounds.

Patong has an extensive array of places to eat and drink at night away from such areas if you so choose. You will never go hungry all be it that in common with most popular tourist resorts in the world prices will be more expensive than the national average. However if you want to eat cheap then there are places are out there. I particularly enjoy eating Isaan(North East) food ,something you will find all over Thailand and even in Patong. You just have to look and ask locally about the cheaper places to eat.

If you are happy to drive, then do it ,hire a car. Better still if you are happy to drive from the airport to your resort and back collect your car at the airport.

As mentioned a return trip from Patong to the next beach, Karon would cost 800 THB by the mobile mafia. You can hire a small car from about 700 THB a day inc insurance with 8000 THB excess. Pay 900 THB and there is zero excess. Do the maths, a return airport trip and 3 return trips just up the road to Karon and the car is paid for. With a car you can also see all of the island and put your whole holiday experience in perspective.

Now the hotel , 149 of the reviews are from families many with toddlers who return to Patong and this resort because they like it. The lakeside wing seems to offer the best spot with more tranquillity. The resort is not on the beach true, but this is in common with the vast majority of the 1000 plus hotels on the island including many of the luxury brands. If you want a bigger choice of luxury hotels on beaches go to Samui or Khao lak.

Would I take a 18 month child to Patong...yes for sure and I have done. I took my daughter there a few moons (5 years) ago and she was just fine.

Granted we were staying in Kamala at the time but during our 8 night stay we did visit Patong including Bangla on a couple of evenings. I have also revisited since then when she was about 3 staying on a deal at the Hilton in Karon. Bangla for most is ok in small doses! ( Oh dear perhaps a play on words there )

So to conclude , when you are inside your resort using your room or the pool or whatever its a resort wherever it's situated. You are still only a short 10 mins stroll from the beach. You do NOT have to go to Bangla if that is your choice, other choices are abundant. Cheaper places are available to eat, you just need to ask, besides which ''more expensive'' is not expensive at all when compared to European prices, don't ask...I've just returned from Cannes!

Biggest tip is to hire a car if you can but this would apply to any resort I was staying at on the island.

Enjoy your holidays

Last edited by chokdee; May 23, 14 at 8:48 am
Old May 23, 14, 8:39 am

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 4.1.2; en-us; GT-I8730 Build/JZO54K) AppleWebKit/534.30 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/534.30)

Well said, chok dee - thanks for the share again!
Old May 23, 14, 8:43 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SK AAR View Post
I have stayed at Millennium Resort before and was in general very pleased with this property. I have not experienced noise issues there. Only drawback is lack of free wifi in the rooms and too many mosquitoes in the public areas Ask for a room at the more quiert "Lakeside" part of the hotel (for Deluxe rooms and above; Superior rooms are at Beachside)

It is certainly not a "resort" on the beach, but you will have to pay a lot more for such property, in particular for high season (Nov-Feb/March). I suggest to rent a car and drive to the various beaches. I would recommend the remote Laem Singh beach near Surin or Paradise Beach near Patong (the latter is South of Patong and easily accessible by rented bike or motor bike). A day trip to Phuket Town and the huge night market would also be a good choice.

I may be wrong but could this be the beach between Patong and Karon with just one restaurant at one end (left side looking out to sea, right looking in).

Of course that may have changed now!

If so then back in the day (late eighties) the beach was known by locals as ''Freedom Beach''. Myself and some friends would visit the beach from Patong by longtail boat then on the return catch some fish which was very kindly cooked for dinner by our local home from home family type lodge. I did manage to take a jeep there quite a few years later along some dirt road.

Ah,brings back memories,patong in those days was more akin to a large village, cheap accommodation and food, no international hotel chains and best of all no taxi mafia. The roads were much more fun to drive on also, many of them in either coastal direction were dirt track. Along those dirt roads local school children would still shout out ''hello!'' at the sight of the strange foreigners much as they still do today in less visited parts of Asia.The white sands of Surin beach were deserted,and I mean derserted,not one person other than us on them and the only customers of just one of two beach shack restaurants. The tiger prawns and lobster were barbequed to order in front of us on the beach and the Singha was cold.

Happy days

Last edited by chokdee; May 23, 14 at 5:09 pm
Old May 23, 14, 10:23 am
Original Poster

Bad news on the horizon? strange,very strange ??

This is strange, I have just received a draft email from hotelclub written in Chinese concerning the Millennium booking. It was sent numerous times and obviously in error as about 30 minutes later I had about the same number of recalls.

I did a google translate and the bad news is it is an email presumably for the Chinese market saying there had been an admin error and offering the room at an increased rate or a full refund. You had until 28th May to reply.

Now I did not book through hotelclub (part of orbitz) and the letter had no personal details for anyone else ,it was just a draft with those spaces left blank.

Being the author of this deal it seems strange,but strange things always seem to happen to me so I'm not too surprised! Fact is stranger than fiction as the saying goes.

Please note that I'm not trying to put the dampers on the deal, we have to stay as positive as we can, I just hope that hotelclub and other OTA's are not going to send out an email such as this in all languages any time soon.

On the other hand maybe it is some hacker just trying to wind me up ??
Old May 27, 14, 7:07 am

Programs: SkyTeam Gold, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold
Originally Posted by chokdee View Post
This is strange, I have just received a draft email from hotelclub written in Chinese concerning the Millennium booking. It was sent numerous times and obviously in error as about 30 minutes later I had about the same number of recalls.

I did a google translate and the bad news is it is an email presumably for the Chinese market saying there had been an admin error and offering the room at an increased rate or a full refund. You had until 28th May to reply.

Now I did not book through hotelclub (part of orbitz) and the letter had no personal details for anyone else ,it was just a draft with those spaces left blank.

Being the author of this deal it seems strange,but strange things always seem to happen to me so I'm not too surprised! Fact is stranger than fiction as the saying goes.

Please note that I'm not trying to put the dampers on the deal, we have to stay as positive as we can, I just hope that hotelclub and other OTA's are not going to send out an email such as this in all languages any time soon.

On the other hand maybe it is some hacker just trying to wind me up ??

I'm now also getting Ebookers emails... the same May 28th deadline (which is rediculous... that's only 1 day).

Search this Thread
Search Engine: