Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotel Deals
Reload this Page >

[EXPIRED] Millennium Resort ,Patong Beach 3 - 25

[EXPIRED] Millennium Resort ,Patong Beach 3 - 25

Old May 18, 14, 1:05 pm

Programs: UA, AA, SPG, HH
Originally Posted by ryanthekiwi View Post
I booked for June 23. Anyone before that?
Originally Posted by travelisfree View Post
Guess it should say this* month. But yep. I'll try to provide a full review. :-p
Sounds good I check in at the end of May so you'll be about a week ahead of me.

Are you planning to call the hotel a day or two before you check in and confirm the reservation is valid or just gonna roll the dice and show up?
Old May 18, 14, 1:12 pm

Programs: UA Silver; Marriott Gold; Hyatt Diamond
I sort of can't believe that nobody has introduced the topic of status matching to M&C Loyalty Club.
Old May 18, 14, 3:28 pm

Programs: TK Elite, HH G
Originally Posted by HoKo View Post
Are you planning to call the hotel a day or two before you check in and confirm the reservation is valid..
That would be a stupid thing to do. The risk that you will get a negative answer is high - just show you up at check-in and if the rate becomes an issue at check-in play dumb and ask the hotel to take this up with the OTA - as far as you are concerned you have a confirmed and paid reservation.

Anyway, we will soon learn if the hotel will honor prepaid reservations.
Old May 18, 14, 4:03 pm

Programs: IC Royal Ambassador, Hyatt Diamond
Millennium Resort ,Patong Beach £3 - £25

I emailed them yesterday. Getting matched to gold.
Old May 18, 14, 5:20 pm

Originally Posted by SK AAR View Post
That would be a stupid thing to do. The risk that you will get a negative answer is high - just show you up at check-in and if the rate becomes an issue at check-in play dumb and ask the hotel to take this up with the OTA - as far as you are concerned you have a confirmed and paid reservation.

Anyway, we will soon learn if the hotel will honor prepaid reservations.
Perhaps, and I am well aware that the general rule of thumb is 'never call'. But there is also a risk that you show up and the hotel can't/won't honor the rate and it quickly turns into a stressful situation that derails a good chunk of your holiday.

Of course since you aren't one of the first people checking in you would advocate for the 'wait-and-see' approach but your interests don't necessarily align with mine or anyone else's so perhaps you should keep that in mind next time before you speak up.
Old May 18, 14, 5:23 pm

Originally Posted by stinger101 View Post
What status were you using to match? Was gold the highest level they were willing to match to regardless of whether you had top tier status with another chain?

Last edited by HoKo; May 18, 14 at 6:15 pm
Old May 18, 14, 11:52 pm

Programs: Who cares... status is a Red Herring.
Are you planning to call the hotel a day or two before you check in and confirm the reservation is valid or just gonna roll the dice and show up?
Nah, I'm just going to show up, I'm already here. It's more fun this way.
Old May 18, 14, 11:57 pm

Originally Posted by stinger101 View Post
Good idea...
  • Looks like it will get us:
  • Fast track registration at selected hotels.
  • Early check-in from 10am and late check-out till 4pm, subject to availability.
  • Complimentary welcome drink.
  • Broadband benefits available at participating hotels.
  • Complimentary local daily paper.
  • Two complimentary room upgrades at any of our participating hotels.
  • 20% off our weekend breaks and 1-For-1 dining for your birthday.
Wonder if I could apply the room upgrade. Otherwise it's not very impressive, but might as well give it a try.
Old May 18, 14, 11:59 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Of course since you aren't one of the first people checking in you would advocate for the 'wait-and-see' approach but your interests don't necessarily align with mine or anyone else's so perhaps you should keep that in mind next time before you speak up.
Exactly... Generic advise is fine, until you are the first one staying and you are in an unknown situation.

And it's not like it's going to kill the deal since it's gone already. They will either cancel the bookings or they won't.
Old May 19, 14, 2:49 am

But there is also a risk that you show up and the hotel can't/won't honor the rate and it quickly turns into a stressful situation that derails a good chunk of your holiday.
Yes, the risk is there and if you can't accept it you should not book this kind of deals.

You writing or calling the property in advance is certainly not going lower the risk for being rejected at check-in - on the contrary! One thing is showing up at check-in and expecting to given the room you have booked, but asking the hotel to confirm to you in writing in advance that your rate will be honored is pushing it to the limit and is asking for problems. Just my cent...

I really don't care if you call or ask in advance as it is unlikely to affect my bookings later on; I was merely trying to put my self in the shoes of one the first persons to check-in on this deal; what to do to improve the chances of not being rejected at check-in - and I still believe that writing or calling the hotel in advance asking whether the rate will be honored, is very risky.

Yes, you might get a positive reply and everthing is good, you can relax etc, but what would you do if the answer is No??
Old May 19, 14, 4:36 am
Original Poster

In the absence of any contact from the hotel I would be very surprised if you experienced any problems at check in.

I had an email early the next morning 16th May from laterooms saying there had been a mistake.That was about as quick as anybody could be following the discovery of the hic up. Attached to that email was a pdf doc which was a personal apology letter from the relatively new GM of the Millennium, a Mr Gerard Tan. The letter was worded so it could be used for either prepaid or non prepaid bookings.

If the prepaid reservations are not too be honoured I find it very surprising that some 3 days later this same letter has not been sent out.

So the hotel knows about the error and so does the hotels manager who has sent a personal letter out regarding non prepaid bookings. Anything is possible but if they are not going to honour the prepaid reservations the very least thing they could do is let you know before you turn up at the door.

The time lapse without contact since the non prepaid reservations were denied leaves me cautiously optimistic....which in turn leaves me rather pessimistic ,since my optimism usually turns out to be ill founded!
Old May 19, 14, 7:06 am

Programs: Delta, NW Air, Continental, Marriott, Amex
I booked both refundable and non refundable reservations all of which are still showing confirmed and my credit card has been charged for all 3.
Old May 19, 14, 7:18 am

Chill everyone.

Again. I'll check in first and I won't contact the hotel first... and all will be fine. :-)

Last edited by travelisfree; May 19, 14 at 7:30 am
Old May 19, 14, 7:35 am

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 4.1.2; en-us; GT-I8730 Build/JZO54K) AppleWebKit/534.30 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/534.30)

That's the approach...
Old May 19, 14, 7:46 am

Originally Posted by travelisfree View Post
Chill everyone.

Again. I'll check in first and I won't contact the hotel first... and all will be fine. :-)
YES that is the FT spirit...

Search this Thread