Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hotel Mistake Deals - Best Practices

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2014, 5:14 am

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by chokdee
So I find what is IMO a cracking deal in S E Asia for 4 nights with one room(and a few bits bolted on) only available for one person and one room although space for another . I would love to book myself but nowadays with a young one at school my hands are tied.

So my dilemma ...I could just post as a one off and any tom, dick or harry would just book it on the free cancellation policy...and it may well never be utilised if honoured...and goes into the waste bin of good chance mistake rates.

Personally I would like to see someone genuinely benefit from this since although I say it myself I was rather pleased to have spotted it in the jungle of rates out there!

So can anybody suggest a good way of doing this to ensure this mistake rate goes to a good home?

Please ...no PM's...
This is a thread about best practices. This post is ironically a rude, worst practice - hijacking a thread with a cryptic request about an unspecified deal.
Old Jan 30, 2014, 5:20 am

Programs: LH SEN, DL Plat
So I find what is IMO a cracking deal in S E Asia for 4 nights with one room(and a few bits bolted on) only available for one person and one room although space for another . I would love to book myself but nowadays with a young one at school my hands are tied.

So my dilemma ...I could just post as a one off and any tom, dick or harry would just book it on the free cancellation policy...and it may well never be utilised if honoured...and goes into the waste bin of good chance mistake rates.

Personally I would like to see someone genuinely benefit from this since although I say it myself I was rather pleased to have spotted it in the jungle of rates out there!

So can anybody suggest a good way of doing this to ensure this mistake rate goes to a good home?

Please ...no PM's...
you shall tell the hotel, and maybe they will give you the same or similar price for a suitable date
Old Jan 30, 2014, 6:05 am

Originally Posted by Adam1222
This is a thread about best practices. This post is ironically a rude, worst practice - hijacking a thread with a cryptic request about an unspecified deal.
You are to be congratulated since you paint a very good self portrait Sir.

As you have said your post is ironic, certainly most rude and of the worst practice.

Above all it is certainly cryptic since I don't have a clue what you are talking about and most probably neither do you.

Now my post in complete contrast was asking for suggestions about the best practice to be used to ensure some genuine and deserving soul obtained a rate that would appear to be available to just one person.

Fortunately since I wrote very clearly in plain English it would seem that the overwhelming majority of people understood where I was coming from

When it comes to mistake rate best practices one has to occasionally think outside the box. Best practices do not just involve those to be used once a hotel is booked, but also the best practice to use in individual cases where a mistake rate has been found.

Have a good day

Last edited by chokdee; Jan 30, 2014 at 6:51 am
Old Jan 30, 2014, 7:07 am

You are to be congratulated since you paint a very good self portrait Sir.

As you have said your post is ironic, certainly most rude and of the worst practice.

Above all it is certainly cryptic since I don't have a clue what you are talking about and most probably neither do you.

Now my post in complete contrast was asking for suggestions about the best practice to be used to ensure some genuine and deserving soul obtained a rate that would appear to be available to just one person.

Fortunately since I wrote very clearly in plain English it would seem that the overwhelming majority of people understood where I was coming from

When it comes to mistake rate best practices one has to occasionally think outside the box. Best practices do not just involve those to be used once a hotel is booked, but also the best practice to use in individual cases where a mistake rate has been found.

Have a good day
It is poor form to post about a mistake deal but refuse to say what hotel it is and lead to a guessing game.
There is now a series of posts with people asking you questions about your mystery deal, as you have specifically told people not to send you Private Messages, because you don't want any " tom, dick or harry" to book it. (And at least one other post indicating that your post is in bad form.) My apologies if you find this cryptic.
Old Jan 30, 2014, 7:58 am

It is poor form to post about a mistake deal but refuse to say what hotel it is and lead to a guessing game.

Lead to a guessing game? I did not provide enough information to try and guess anything. The post was merely asking peoples advice about the best practice to use about a particular mistake rate.

There is now a series of posts with people asking you questions about your mystery deal, as you have specifically told people not to send you Private Messages

Nobody has asked me anything...go back and check the WHOLE 3 replies please. I was not inviting people to ask me questions but to give me possible answers.

However I can understand your bit about the PM's. My intention was not to have my inbox inundated with questions about the deal. However I appreciate that this might of caused problems on this thread instead..but fortunately it didn't ...remember a full 3 posts...less than we have taken up now after you initially accused me of being rude and hijacking the thread...something you are very adept at to btw.

And at least one person indicating that your post is in bad form?

Please do point me in the direction ?

Perhaps you do not understand a little dry humour?

BTW I particularly love the ''at least'' bit on the 3 replies I have received other than your ''off topic'' posts.

Anyway onto real things....JohnnyColombia was the only person to make a suggestion and I think that his is a good idea

So anyone travelling to S E Asia in April let me know your country(s) and dates of travel and the first one with a correct answer I will post the link to.

And yes you may now PM !
Old Jan 30, 2014, 9:01 am

Alright, I'm not going to engage with what you refer to as "dry humour", which in my country we call something else.
All I'm saying is that I didn't think this thread was the best place to post about a guessing game you are running about a mistake deal, and that I generally think it's rude to post about a mistake deal and refuse to share it with the community as a whole.
Call me whatever you want and play whatever semantic games you want. You're not convincing me that running a game, in which you bestow largesse of sharing a mistake deal to the first person to provide the "correct answer," is in the spirit of this community.
Old Jan 30, 2014, 10:13 am

You just don't get it do you Adam?

Number one...I was not running a guessing game....as I have said there was not anything anyone could try and guess. I was asking advice.

2) I was referring to what I would term somebody else's dry humour not anything to do with my own postings.

3) Rude not to post a mistake deal?....check my history I have shared more mistake deals on this forum than you have probably had cups of tea? This deal was different in that only ONE room was available ...and do you know that if I had posted it as a separate thread it would been taken in a nano second by somebody who took it because they JUST COULD rather than somebody that could genuinely use it.

4) I made this very post not to run a game but to make sure the right person got a chance with this mistake....and that is MOST definitely in the spirit of the community.

5) You have tried to twist my post any way you can and failed miserably, your posts are consumed with incorrect assumptions and inaccuracies about what previous posters have said or asked...and you only had to survey a mere 3 replies to my OP...

Enough said I think...I have pondered whether to continue my contributions, ''in the spirit of the community'' for a while now and your comments have finally broken the camels back. I shall be taking a well earned rest from this forum as far as the mistake rate department is concerned...perhaps you would be good enough to contribute and take over where I left off?

Be very careful what you say however...there are all types out there just waiting to twist and attack your every word.
Old Jan 30, 2014, 10:32 am
Ambassador: LATAM

Programs: BAEC Silver

4) I made this very post not to run a game but to make sure the right person got a chance with this mistake....and that is MOST definitely in the spirit of the community.
I didn't see what is unreasonable about this. I am in SE Asia in April. I have non-refundable reservations everywhere though. So I would agree, if someone is able and willing to pony up the miles or $$$ and go to SE Asia and take advantage of such a deal then so be it.

I appreciate that some people would still be curious about such a deal, not me.

The question was posed in this thread "Hotel Mistake Deals - Best Practices" and asked genuinely how to optimise value by ensuring that "A. Someone" actually took advantage of the deal. Back then, both the question and the thread were on topic. Now not so much.

Last edited by JohnnyColombia; Jan 30, 2014 at 11:01 am
Old Jan 30, 2014, 10:53 am

Programs: All of the Above
@chokdee, quick wasting your breath. I appreciate all the deals you've shared here and have enjoyed the benefits of those stays also.
Old Jan 30, 2014, 11:30 am

Programs: AA, Alaska, Hilton, Marriott, IHG
I think chokdee has made amazing contributions to Hotel Deals. I am willing to play along except I don't plan to go to Asia yet
Old Jan 30, 2014, 11:51 am

Hooray can we get to 30 posts in this thread about one specific (mystery) deal that the beneficient Chokdee has decided should be the subject of this thread??

Look, I never said Chokdee was a bad person, or that he doesn't contribute to FT. I said that his running a contest for a mistake deal doesn't seem to fit in with this thread, which, until his post, was about dealing with mistake deals generally and how to prepare/protect yourself when booking said deal.

If you have a deal to raffle off, great, post a thread. I just disagree that it belongs here. That's all.

Also, I've drank a lot of tea in my day.
Old Jan 30, 2014, 12:25 pm

Originally Posted by DavidAL
@chokdee, quick wasting your breath.
Never in the history of hotel mistake rates David has a truer word been said

Instead I think I'll just go and study what possible strange side effects having too much tea can cause in people
Old Jan 30, 2014, 10:39 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Alaska Gold 75K, LATAM Black
Originally Posted by Adam1222
Hooray can we get to 30 posts in this thread about one specific (mystery) deal that the beneficient Chokdee has decided should be the subject of this thread??

Look, I never said Chokdee was a bad person, or that he doesn't contribute to FT. I said that his running a contest for a mistake deal doesn't seem to fit in with this thread, which, until his post, was about dealing with mistake deals generally and how to prepare/protect yourself when booking said deal.

If you have a deal to raffle off, great, post a thread. I just disagree that it belongs here. That's all.

Also, I've drank a lot of tea in my day.
It has always been against the spirit of ft to not share a mistake fare of any sort. Isn't that a rule somewhere ?? :-) i think the guessing game is really unnecessary.

All IMHO. No flames needed
Old Jan 31, 2014, 3:54 pm

Originally Posted by JohnnyColombia
Oooh a new thread, Chokdee's opaque deals. You reveal what the deal is without saying the property, or the exact dates.

Whichever FTer then responds to confirm they

a) Are interested in the area/country,
b) Have rough plans and the means to travel then gets the details.

I think FTers would be fairly honest in this sense.

4 nights in SE Asia in November, I'd be interested. 4 nights in Jan 2014. I am obviously going to be in Chicago

i think that would be a good idea too
Old Feb 1, 2014, 10:33 am

Do people at the front desk even care if it is a mistake rate if it is not a manager?

Last edited by DealAddict; Feb 1, 2014 at 5:30 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.