Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 11, 2018, 5:53 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: shahr04360
Orbitz's Price Guarantee covers flight, hotels, packages, rental cars and activities.

What it means
If you find a cheaper identical flight, package, rental car or activity within 24 hours of booking, or a cheaper, identical hotel up to 2 days before your standalone hotel check-in date, we'll refund the difference and give you 50 USD Orbucks.

Before you submit your claim, answer the following questions:
- Is the cost of your booking at least 50 USD, excluding taxes and fees?
- Did you book your flight, package, rental car or activity on Orbitz in the last 24 hours?
- Standalone hotel bookings only: Is today's date at least 2 days before the check-in date?
- Are the trip dates the same?
- Did you find the lower price on a website in English?
- Is the lower price quoted in US dollars?
- Is the room type the same?
- Is the cancellation policy the same?

If you answered "Yes" to all of these questions and wish to receive your refund, then you will need to:
1. Have your Orbitz itinerary number ready.
2. Submit your claim by clicking here.

Good to know
- To qualify for Orbucks, you must have an Orbitz account.
- If you booked as a guest, you will only qualify for a refund in price difference.
- Orbucks will be added to your account 3-4 weeks after your qualifying travel itinerary has been completed.
- The amount of Orbucks issued is limited to the total amount spent on the booking (excluding taxes and fees). If the amount spent on the booking is less than the amount of Orbucks you are eligible to receive, then the Orbucks will be capped at an amount equal to the amount spent on the booking (excluding taxes and fees).

Source: https://www.orbitz.com/service/#/articles/553/55/16146
Print Wikipost

Orbitz BRG

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2015, 1:02 am

Does anyone with an understanding of English or contracts or law have some notion of whether orbitz and its subsidiaries with similar guarantees are on solid ground for denying claims which fit it every respect with the possible exception that the lower priced quote uses the words special,,or special sale , or sale , or discount, or has a higher price slashed out with a lower price next to it. The lower priced quotes are available to absolutely anyone and everyone, are not consolidators, priced in U.S. Dollars and not related to any changes in currency values.

Wording orbitz uses to disqualify the claim is their wording "special discounted rates including but not limited to aaa , aarp, etc" or something very similar.

Also are they able to add rules that do not appear in anything that they post above such as one per trip?

They are very prominent in using their best guarantee as a customer looks at their website and makes a booking. Personally , I wish that they would either fulfill their claim of having the best prices always or honour their guarantee.

There are other issues such as there are no matches for any of the hotel rooms on any non Expedia non orbitz site as there almost always is at least a minute difference in cancellation types not to mention some difference in the description of the amenities (one has a TV, another has a color TV, a third has a 32 inch tv, for example -- all the same room).

If one gets unfairly denied and appeals arm either ignored or rejected is the only option to attend court in Illinois and pay for the costs involved?
Old Jul 17, 2015, 4:25 am

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Jeremy Humboldt
Does anyone with an understanding of English or contracts or law have some notion of whether orbitz and its subsidiaries with similar guarantees are on solid ground for denying claims which fit it every respect with the possible exception that the lower priced quote uses the words special,,or special sale , or sale , or discount, or has a higher price slashed out with a lower price next to it. The lower priced quotes are available to absolutely anyone and everyone, are not consolidators, priced in U.S. Dollars and not related to any changes in currency values.

Wording orbitz uses to disqualify the claim is their wording "special discounted rates including but not limited to aaa , aarp, etc" or something very similar.

Also are they able to add rules that do not appear in anything that they post above such as one per trip?

They are very prominent in using their best guarantee as a customer looks at their website and makes a booking. Personally , I wish that they would either fulfill their claim of having the best prices always or honour their guarantee.

There are other issues such as there are no matches for any of the hotel rooms on any non Expedia non orbitz site as there almost always is at least a minute difference in cancellation types not to mention some difference in the description of the amenities (one has a TV, another has a color TV, a third has a 32 inch tv, for example -- all the same room).

If one gets unfairly denied and appeals arm either ignored or rejected is the only option to attend court in Illinois and pay for the costs involved?
You may think it's silly, but Orbitz is allowed to set whatever terms it wants for a Best Rate Guarantee. It's also not a part of a contract you enter into, but an advertising claim, so you don't have a contract claim.
Old Jul 20, 2015, 9:30 am

Programs: mainly UA and CO
can you "roll" orbitz bucks?

Had a handful of approvals with orbitz PM and used orbitz bucks for my last booking which I then successful pricematched. I anticipated to receive the orbitz bucks I used to book this hotel back but only got the difference in price.

Can someone please explain if I should get my orbitz bucks back as I receive orbitz bucks for credit card bookings as well (for my status up to $150)?
Old Jul 21, 2015, 10:56 pm

Still trying to understand

Originally Posted by Adam1222
You may think it's silly, but Orbitz is allowed to set whatever terms it wants for a Best Rate Guarantee. It's also not a part of a contract you enter into, but an advertising claim, so you don't have a contract claim.
Let's say that orbitz has provided a best rate guarantee , set and publicized a lengthy list of conditions for that guarantee, wouldn't they have an obligation to follow the terms and conditions without adding additional ones?

Wouldn't the best rate guarantee with their published conditions form part of the contract of any bookings and be enforceable by a court of law?

i am not a lawyer and would genuinely like to know, thank you
Old Aug 1, 2015, 10:25 am

Programs: DL Skymiles, Sun Country Ufly
Anybody ever do a car rental BRG with Orbitz ?

I'm platinum and thinking about trying one for a recent booking.
Old Aug 1, 2015, 11:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Jeremy Humboldt
Let's say that orbitz has provided a best rate guarantee , set and publicized a lengthy list of conditions for that guarantee, wouldn't they have an obligation to follow the terms and conditions without adding additional ones?

Wouldn't the best rate guarantee with their published conditions form part of the contract of any bookings and be enforceable by a court of law?

i am not a lawyer and would genuinely like to know, thank you
Yeah, I asked a similar question awhile ago. What seems to happen is that folks discover that their BRG is a sham and just move on. I sure don't think it's right, and I'm skeptical that you can just "make things up" in your advertising. Like say I advertised $50 computers, but refused to sell them to you. I presume that's not legal. I always thought everything other than "puffery" was actionable in a consumer situation.
Old Aug 2, 2015, 9:55 am

did anyone notice change to Orbitz BRG? As silver member, I got $100 orbucks before for approved BRG. But yesterday (Aug 1) I submitted and got one BRG approved next day, I got $50 Orbucks.
Just checked their term, now :

Amount of Orbucks issued for Best Price Guarantee depends on Your Orbitz Rewards status at time of booking associated with your claim:
• New Orbitz Rewards members receive Orbucks equal to the price difference + $50 in Orbucks
• Silver members receive Orbucks equal to the price difference + $50 in Orbucks
• Gold members receive Orbucks equal to the price difference + up to $100 in Orbucks
• Platinum members receive Orbucks equal to the price difference + up to $100 in Orbucks

Are there any gold/plantinum members here got approved BRG? how much orbucks u got?

Also, another question, can we apply orbucks for hotel reservation and also submit BRG for the same booking?

thanks in advance !
Old Aug 3, 2015, 3:50 am

Originally Posted by delusion
did anyone notice change to Orbitz BRG? As silver member, I got $100 orbucks before for approved BRG. But yesterday (Aug 1) I submitted and got one BRG approved next day, I got $50 Orbucks.
Just checked their term, now :

Amount of Orbucks issued for Best Price Guarantee depends on Your Orbitz Rewards status at time of booking associated with your claim:
• New Orbitz Rewards members receive Orbucks equal to the price difference + $50 in Orbucks
• Silver members receive Orbucks equal to the price difference + $50 in Orbucks
• Gold members receive Orbucks equal to the price difference + up to $100 in Orbucks
• Platinum members receive Orbucks equal to the price difference + up to $100 in Orbucks

Are there any gold/plantinum members here got approved BRG? how much orbucks u got?

Also, another question, can we apply orbucks for hotel reservation and also submit BRG for the same booking?

thanks in advance !
I got $200 in Orbucks a few weeks ago as a platinum member for my BRG, but I saw this same update to the rules a few days ago. However, I saw the old rules still posted on the website elsewhere so not sure which is correct.

Last edited by tygirl; Aug 3, 2015 at 4:15 am
Old Aug 10, 2015, 9:52 am

Originally Posted by delusion

thanks in advance !
Gold member, only got 100 + difference.
I don't think you can claim BRG and use orbucks, but someone should confirm that.
Old Aug 31, 2015, 7:37 am

Programs: United: 1K, BA: Silver, IHG: Plat, Hyatt: Plat, Marriott: Gold, SPG: Gold, Avis: Chairman
Originally Posted by bnurkhai
Gold member, only got 100 + difference.
I don't think you can claim BRG and use orbucks, but someone should confirm that.
I'm a plat member. Had multiple BRGs on flights approved. About 6 in the last 8 months. In fact, not had nay declined (touchwood!). This includes several one-way airfares, which include an orbitz 'service fee'. I know own this as I see if on my credit card statement. Get two transactions posting, one the airline charge, then a separate Orbtiz fee. (Usually $21.99).

This is great for me, as they return the $21.99 to me in orbucks and then give me the extra bonus. Used to be $200, but now only $100, but still not to be sniffed out. About to use my $871 in orbucks to book a v nice hotel!

Interestingly, the terms and conditions state that the BRG excludes Orbitz service fees, however, they don't seem to apply this rule :-) . It is a bit cheeky though, as at no point in the booking process do they state or show the $21.99 fee on many one-way US internal flights.

I actually booked a $160 intra Hawaii flight. Got charged $181.99 for it. Got approved BRG claim. Will get full $181.99 back in orbucks... bargain! (Claim is limited to total of amount paid, so $21.99 plus $200, maxed out at $181.99 for amount paid.

^
Old Sep 1, 2015, 2:41 pm

Originally Posted by travellermatt
I'm a plat member. Had multiple BRGs on flights approved. About 6 in the last 8 months. In fact, not had nay declined (touchwood!). This includes several one-way airfares, which include an orbitz 'service fee'. I know own this as I see if on my credit card statement. Get two transactions posting, one the airline charge, then a separate Orbtiz fee. (Usually $21.99).

This is great for me, as they return the $21.99 to me in orbucks and then give me the extra bonus. Used to be $200, but now only $100, but still not to be sniffed out. About to use my $871 in orbucks to book a v nice hotel!

Interestingly, the terms and conditions state that the BRG excludes Orbitz service fees, however, they don't seem to apply this rule :-) . It is a bit cheeky though, as at no point in the booking process do they state or show the $21.99 fee on many one-way US internal flights.

I actually booked a $160 intra Hawaii flight. Got charged $181.99 for it. Got approved BRG claim. Will get full $181.99 back in orbucks... bargain! (Claim is limited to total of amount paid, so $21.99 plus $200, maxed out at $181.99 for amount paid.

^
Never even thought about doing it for flights, and since they have a 24 hour cancellation policy, seems pretty risk free. Thanks for updating us!
Old Sep 1, 2015, 2:55 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Delta Gold, AA Plat
Originally Posted by bobu
Never even thought about doing it for flights, and since they have a 24 hour cancellation policy, seems pretty risk free. Thanks for updating us!
if there is a booking fee for flights, there is no refund on the booking fee - even though cancellation is within 24 hours (or 11pm next day). this is how it was in my case....
Old Oct 15, 2015, 2:52 pm

Orbitz BPG for platinum members has now been further devalued to $100 Orbucks instead of $150. Not sure what the benefit of being platinum over gold is anymore.
Old Oct 28, 2015, 1:15 pm

How long for Orbitz to respond ? I filed one this morning around 6 am PT...
Old Oct 28, 2015, 5:54 pm

Originally Posted by MNSWEEps
How long for Orbitz to respond ? I filed one this morning around 6 am PT...
Usually get a response within 12 hours, by 24 hours for sure. I just successfully did 2 Flight BRGs too!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.