Orbitz BRG

Hide Wikipost
Old Mar 10, 18, 8:53 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: shahr04360
Wiki Link
Orbitz's Price Guarantee covers flight, hotels, packages, rental cars and activities.

What it means
If you find a cheaper identical flight, package, rental car or activity within 24 hours of booking, or a cheaper, identical hotel up to 2 days before your standalone hotel check-in date, we'll refund the difference and give you 50 USD Orbucks.

Before you submit your claim, answer the following questions:
- Is the cost of your booking at least 50 USD, excluding taxes and fees?
- Did you book your flight, package, rental car or activity on Orbitz in the last 24 hours?
- Standalone hotel bookings only: Is today's date at least 2 days before the check-in date?
- Are the trip dates the same?
- Did you find the lower price on a website in English?
- Is the lower price quoted in US dollars?
- Is the room type the same?
- Is the cancellation policy the same?

If you answered "Yes" to all of these questions and wish to receive your refund, then you will need to:
1. Have your Orbitz itinerary number ready.
2. Submit your claim by clicking here.

Good to know
- To qualify for Orbucks, you must have an Orbitz account.
- If you booked as a guest, you will only qualify for a refund in price difference.
- Orbucks will be added to your account 3-4 weeks after your qualifying travel itinerary has been completed.
- The amount of Orbucks issued is limited to the total amount spent on the booking (excluding taxes and fees). If the amount spent on the booking is less than the amount of Orbucks you are eligible to receive, then the Orbucks will be capped at an amount equal to the amount spent on the booking (excluding taxes and fees).

Source: https://www.orbitz.com/service/#/articles/553/55/16146
Print Wikipost

Old Oct 31, 13, 1:45 pm

Submitted brg claim Sunday and then follow up message yesterday. Received approval today, refund of $3.60 and promise of $100 or bucks after stay.
In all if I count the 5% or bucks I earned the stay is under $60 and only a few $ greater than the reservation I had made using a 30% cheaptickets code. Those $100 for my next stay are worth the extra dollars
Old Oct 31, 13, 1:54 pm

Programs: AC, DL, Marriott, SPG, Fairmont, Best Western
Originally Posted by Mrdeals805 View Post
Submitted brg claim Sunday and then follow up message yesterday. Received approval today, refund of $3.60 and promise of $100 or bucks after stay.
In all if I count the 5% or bucks I earned the stay is under $60 and only a few $ greater than the reservation I had made using a 30% cheaptickets code. Those $100 for my next stay are worth the extra dollars
To which email address did you send the follow up message ?
Old Oct 31, 13, 2:12 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Delta Gold, AA Plat
good. but still: post after stay is according to NEW terms, not the old ones.
Old Nov 5, 13, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Car rental BRG?

So as I mentioned in the Expedia BRG thread, I think I have found a good "theoretical" loophole for claiming Orbitz's BRG for car rentals. Dollar and Thrifty's best rates are usually obtained without a code, just by putting in your location and date/time, and then clicking "City Special" when the rate grid pops up. These "City Special" rates are not displayed on Orbitz.

How would they weasel out of this one? I've seen someone mention that Orbitz wouldn't honor a "promotional" hotel rate. I suppose that could be an uber sleazy way to deny this.

I guess I'll try it and see what happens. I'm not a huge fan of Dollar/Thrifty, but they're OK, and essentially free car rentals (once you get the Orbucks bomus) would have some utility.
Old Nov 5, 13, 1:12 pm

As often, companies don't respect their own terms & conditions and expect us to unconditionnally abide by them
Old Nov 5, 13, 1:16 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Delta Gold, AA Plat
They still have not answered to claims made 10 days ago.
Old Nov 5, 13, 1:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flyinghigh77 View Post
They still have not answered to claims made 10 days ago.
Can you call and ask about your claim?
Old Nov 6, 13, 7:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by iahphx View Post
So as I mentioned in the Expedia BRG thread, I think I have found a good "theoretical" loophole for claiming Orbitz's BRG for car rentals. Dollar and Thrifty's best rates are usually obtained without a code, just by putting in your location and date/time, and then clicking "City Special" when the rate grid pops up. These "City Special" rates are not displayed on Orbitz.

How would they weasel out of this one? I've seen someone mention that Orbitz wouldn't honor a "promotional" hotel rate. I suppose that could be an uber sleazy way to deny this.

I guess I'll try it and see what happens. I'm not a huge fan of Dollar/Thrifty, but they're OK, and essentially free car rentals (once you get the Orbucks bomus) would have some utility.
My hunch was correct. Orbitz denied my Dollar BRG claim with the following statement:

"[W]e are unable to approve it because the Orbitz Car Best Price Guarantee does not apply to reservations with special rates or discounts. The "CITY SPECIAL" you are saying is a discounted rate."

Nowhere in their terms and conditions are "discounted rates" ineligible for their Best Price Guarantee. Indeed, it is patently absurd to exclude them from such a guarantee, since it obviously means you DON'T guarantee that you have the best prices available to the general public. You're not guaranteeing anything.

Of course, having a BRG is obviously a problem for a third-party booking site. It's much different from such a promise by an actual travel provider. Like if you're a hotel, you can decide not to offer lower prices to middlemen. It can make sense as a marketing strategy. Orbitz can't control what prices its suppliers will offer. If it really wants to have the "glow" of a BRG, it has to be willing to eat some losses when it is undersold. But Orbitz doesn't want to do that: it wants to advertise a BRG, but not actually guarantee the best prices.

Shame on them. This is just dishonest.
Old Nov 8, 13, 7:23 am

Programs: AA, Delta, NWA,HHonors, Hyatt BF
So in theory you could BRG a cheapy $20 room in Atlantic City, get the difference credited and if you don't show for some unforseen circumstance and don't cancel the reservation you would still get $100 Orbucks, no?
Old Nov 8, 13, 9:27 am

Originally Posted by redreeper View Post
So in theory you could BRG a cheapy $20 room in Atlantic City, get the difference credited and if you don't show for some unforseen circumstance and don't cancel the reservation you would still get $100 Orbucks, no?
a minimum rate of $50 has been added to the terms, they also added that the BRG credit cannot exceed the amount paid on the booking
Old Nov 8, 13, 9:55 am

Originally Posted by MasterGeek View Post
a minimum rate of $50 has been added to the terms, they also added that the BRG credit cannot exceed the amount paid on the booking
That's ....sad.

I have to agree this is a case of we want to advertise a BRG but it's so restrictive it's almost a unicorn BRG.

thanks for the info M-geek.
Old Nov 8, 13, 12:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by redreeper View Post
That's ....sad.

I have to agree this is a case of we want to advertise a BRG but it's so restrictive it's almost a unicorn BRG.

thanks for the info M-geek.
Yeah, I think this BRG could theoretically work if the agents are nice to you -- they don't declare your other rate to be a "discounted" or "promotional" rate -- but good luck with that. And with the $50 minimum for hotels, you probably want to actually stay in that hotel.

That's why I was looking at the car rental angle (I'm not so picky on car rentals -- everyone basically offers the same cars), but they seem to have no interest in actually honoring their guarantee.
Old Nov 8, 13, 5:40 pm

Programs: Alaska mvp G, AA Exec Plat, Marriott/SPG platinum, United Silver, Delta Silver, Hilton Diamond
Can the hotel be cancelled and the credit stay intact??
Old Nov 8, 13, 10:31 pm

Originally Posted by zerodegre View Post
Can the hotel be cancelled and the credit stay intact??
no.
Old Nov 10, 13, 3:16 am

Can a Orbucks be used on the hotel you want to make a claim on?

Search this Thread

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: