Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 11, 2018, 5:53 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: shahr04360
Orbitz's Price Guarantee covers flight, hotels, packages, rental cars and activities.

What it means
If you find a cheaper identical flight, package, rental car or activity within 24 hours of booking, or a cheaper, identical hotel up to 2 days before your standalone hotel check-in date, we'll refund the difference and give you 50 USD Orbucks.

Before you submit your claim, answer the following questions:
- Is the cost of your booking at least 50 USD, excluding taxes and fees?
- Did you book your flight, package, rental car or activity on Orbitz in the last 24 hours?
- Standalone hotel bookings only: Is today's date at least 2 days before the check-in date?
- Are the trip dates the same?
- Did you find the lower price on a website in English?
- Is the lower price quoted in US dollars?
- Is the room type the same?
- Is the cancellation policy the same?

If you answered "Yes" to all of these questions and wish to receive your refund, then you will need to:
1. Have your Orbitz itinerary number ready.
2. Submit your claim by clicking here.

Good to know
- To qualify for Orbucks, you must have an Orbitz account.
- If you booked as a guest, you will only qualify for a refund in price difference.
- Orbucks will be added to your account 3-4 weeks after your qualifying travel itinerary has been completed.
- The amount of Orbucks issued is limited to the total amount spent on the booking (excluding taxes and fees). If the amount spent on the booking is less than the amount of Orbucks you are eligible to receive, then the Orbucks will be capped at an amount equal to the amount spent on the booking (excluding taxes and fees).

Source: https://www.orbitz.com/service/#/articles/553/55/16146
Print Wikipost

Orbitz BRG

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2016, 8:00 pm

Anyone have any luck with this lately?
Old Apr 4, 2016, 6:34 am

They approve the occasional brg

Originally Posted by AnitaBryant63
Anyone have any luck with this lately?
Just for pr reasons so that they can claim to have best rates in their marketing. It is somewhat random as they can always find a reason for refusal

Last edited by Jared Ito; Apr 4, 2016 at 6:36 am Reason: Confusion
Old Apr 18, 2016, 9:39 pm

Any recent successes? If so - how long has the $50 taken to post? I just had one successful BRG but the language after the approval said to wait for 6-8 weeks. That seems awfully long...
Old Apr 20, 2016, 8:57 pm

Programs: Choice Hotels
The lower rate I found was $13 less than my orbitz reservation. Instead of adjusting the rate, they added 13 orbucks to me reward, so I received a total of $63 orbucks. I did, however, have to contact them to see where they were. They replied back and my orbucks were added to my account immediately. This was back in February. The time frame may have changed, but I remember it being 14 days when I did it.
Old Apr 25, 2016, 11:57 am

Programs: AA
min $5 requirement?

My claim was rejected because the difference in airfare must be min 5USD but I don't see it anywhere in their terms and condition. So I contacted Orbitz but their excuse was that they didn't update the website but apparently the new terms and conditions require min $5 difference. But is it fair at all? How can they reject claims based on the terms and conditions that were not visible to me? It seems like Orbitz doesn't want to do anything about it, so what should I do next? I am thinking of initiating a claim to FTC but I have never done that and not sure how effective it is...Any advice?
Old Apr 27, 2016, 10:32 am

Once they eliminated $200 for platinum this brg lost a lot of value. Using the last set of orbucks and moving on from them.
Old Jan 11, 2017, 1:40 am

Programs: AAdvantage (Platinum)
I submitted 2 hotel BRGs claims using Orbitz's own updated prices and got oddly mixed results.

Given their BRG rules and marketing gimmicks it seems that for most orbitz hotel bookings it's possible, at least in theory, to get at least the $50 orbucks part of the BRG -- just intentionally make a simple/basic hotel booking on Orbitz, then attempt another identical booking on orbitz in a way that gets a lower price (e.g., via their mobile website, or their constantly-present and publicly-advertised 15% coupon code) and use that for a BRG price match. The net effect after the hotel stay (compared to if you'd booked the cheaper way to begin with) is the extra $50 orbucks. This also means it's better to book a multi-night stay as individual 1-night stays (to earn $50 on each night).

My BRG attempts:

1) I researched a booking on my phone, made the actual booking on my PC, then noticed that all of the prices on the mobile website were actually $1 cheaper (both before and after I did the booking). I submitted a BRG claim using images from my phone, but the request was denied because "we are unable to validate the lower rate from our site". The pricing on their mobile website hadn't changed, so I made a follow up email reply asking if that meant they didn't have a device to check their own mobile website, or saw a different price when they tried. I also included the actual pending-booking URL and a copy of the resulting screenshot from using the URL on my PC. They said they had to ignore my email reply since I didn't send it from the exact same account they have on file (I can't use the same since I use an email alias for websites, but both addresses use the same DNS domain name that's my first and last name).

2) The price on a booking I made a few months ago dropped by about $7 on orbitz's website. Both the original booking and new-priced option took advantage of their public 15% off code (the current T&Cs permit publicly-advertised coupon codes). The BRG claim was accepted. I checked the price again and saw that all rooms were now sold out, so either I got lucky on timing or they're able to refer to my stale booking attempt (or it's just random on which claims they accept).
Old Jan 15, 2017, 11:13 pm

what they mean for standalone Hotels? is it chain hotel excluded?

they allow you to BRG against their own publicly-advertised 15% coupon code? and give $50 orbucks? that's awesome, I never tried should try now

For standalone Hotels, we go even further! If you find a lower rate on Orbitz.com or on another U.S.-based website up to 11:59 pm Pacific time 2 days before your scheduled check-in date of your booking with Orbitz.com, we will credit or refund to you the difference in price. In addition, if you are a member of the Orbitz Rewards program we will give you $50 in Orbucks. This Price Guarantee for Hotels is subject to the terms and conditions listed below."

Originally Posted by armus
I submitted 2 hotel BRGs claims using Orbitz's own updated prices and got oddly mixed results.

Given their BRG rules and marketing gimmicks it seems that for most orbitz hotel bookings it's possible, at least in theory, to get at least the $50 orbucks part of the BRG -- just intentionally make a simple/basic hotel booking on Orbitz, then attempt another identical booking on orbitz in a way that gets a lower price (e.g., via their mobile website, or their constantly-present and publicly-advertised 15% coupon code) and use that for a BRG price match. The net effect after the hotel stay (compared to if you'd booked the cheaper way to begin with) is the extra $50 orbucks. This also means it's better to book a multi-night stay as individual 1-night stays (to earn $50 on each night).

My BRG attempts:

1) I researched a booking on my phone, made the actual booking on my PC, then noticed that all of the prices on the mobile website were actually $1 cheaper (both before and after I did the booking). I submitted a BRG claim using images from my phone, but the request was denied because "we are unable to validate the lower rate from our site". The pricing on their mobile website hadn't changed, so I made a follow up email reply asking if that meant they didn't have a device to check their own mobile website, or saw a different price when they tried. I also included the actual pending-booking URL and a copy of the resulting screenshot from using the URL on my PC. They said they had to ignore my email reply since I didn't send it from the exact same account they have on file (I can't use the same since I use an email alias for websites, but both addresses use the same DNS domain name that's my first and last name).

2) The price on a booking I made a few months ago dropped by about $7 on orbitz's website. Both the original booking and new-priced option took advantage of their public 15% off code (the current T&Cs permit publicly-advertised coupon codes). The BRG claim was accepted. I checked the price again and saw that all rooms were now sold out, so either I got lucky on timing or they're able to refer to my stale booking attempt (or it's just random on which claims they accept).
Old Jan 16, 2017, 1:10 pm

Just successfully completed a BRG with interisland flights on Island Air from KOA to HNL for my fiance and I. Booked flights on Orbitz for $83.3 then looked on the Island Air website to find that they were ~$72. Initially BRG was denied, claiming that I didn't have proof that the tickets were the same cabin class...after emailing screenshots and a (unnecessarily lengthy) call, I finally convinced them that the flight only had one cabin class...

Despite coming out with the win, getting $11 + $50 voucher making the final cost: ~$22pp...the 24 hour cancellation period on orbitz was a bit nerve racking considering the BRG email says they try to reply within 48 hours...

The only helpful thing I learnt from the call was that the 24 hour cancellation period does not include weekends which was the only reason why I didn't cancel the flights and waited the BRG email a bit longer. Not sure if the weekend rule applies for all deals on Orbitz though, maybe someone else can confirm.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 1:11 pm

Originally Posted by dantheman16
Just successfully completed a BRG with interisland flights on Island Air from KOA to HNL for my fiance and I. Booked flights on Orbitz for $83.3 then looked on the Island Air website to find that they were ~$72. Initially BRG was denied, claiming that I didn't have proof that the tickets were the same cabin class...after emailing screenshots and a (unnecessarily lengthy) call, I finally convinced them that the flight only had one cabin class...

Despite coming out with the win, getting $11 + $50 voucher making the final cost: ~$22pp...the 24 hour cancellation period on orbitz was a bit nerve racking considering the BRG email says they try to reply within 48 hours...

The only helpful thing I learnt from the call was that the 24 hour cancellation period does not include weekends which was the only reason why I didn't cancel the flights and waited the BRG email a bit longer. Not sure if the weekend rule applies for all deals on Orbitz though, maybe someone else can confirm.
Just remembered that this is a hotel thread...whooops...
Old Jan 16, 2017, 7:32 pm

Programs: AAdvantage (Platinum)
Originally Posted by ecgz88

they allow you to BRG against their own publicly-advertised 15% coupon code? and give $50 orbucks? that's awesome, I never tried should try now
I think it mostly means chains excluded. They seem to only advertise the price guarantee on hotel/booking pages that qualify. I mostly book hotels outside the US so almost everything I see qualifies for coupon & BRG.

As for the coupon code, I successfully price-matched where both the existing and potential bookings used the 15% off coupon. I haven't yet tested the case where only the potential booking used the coupon, but there's nothing I can see in the T&Cs that prevent it. The situation seems to be a consequence of taking a price policy for a different website (i.e., Expedia) and applying it to another website (i.e., Orbitz) that offers various pricing gimmicks.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 8:54 pm

I just did a random check for Kelowna,BC, find out Fairfield Inn and Suites by Marriott Kelowna/Best Western, all have "Price Guarantee
Get more with Orbitz Rewards, right up to your check-in date!" under the price

Originally Posted by armus
I think it mostly means chains excluded. They seem to only advertise the price guarantee on hotel/booking pages that qualify. I mostly book hotels outside the US so almost everything I see qualifies for coupon & BRG.

As for the coupon code, I successfully price-matched where both the existing and potential bookings used the 15% off coupon. I haven't yet tested the case where only the potential booking used the coupon, but there's nothing I can see in the T&Cs that prevent it. The situation seems to be a consequence of taking a price policy for a different website (i.e., Expedia) and applying it to another website (i.e., Orbitz) that offers various pricing gimmicks.
Old Jan 19, 2017, 10:23 pm

Originally Posted by ecgz88

For standalone Hotels, we go even further! If you find a lower rate on Orbitz.com or on another U.S.-based website up to 11:59 pm Pacific time 2 days before your scheduled check-in date of your booking with Orbitz.com, we will credit or refund to you the difference in price. In addition, if you are a member of the Orbitz Rewards program we will give you $50 in Orbucks. This Price Guarantee for Hotels is subject to the terms and conditions listed below."
Standalone hotels means a hotel only booking, not a package. Chains aren't excluded.
Old Apr 29, 2017, 1:03 am

Programs: HH Dia, IHG Dia Amb, MB Ti, WoH G, OWE
Just tried-out myself. Take advantage on 24hrs refundable rate for Monday flight. 1st attempt failed due to the amount below $50 (excl. taxes&fees) with less 24hrs response. Price just hike afterward just above $50 before taxes&fees. 2nd attempt BPG approved almost 24hrs reply. Fare diff with competitor $1. Reimburse with $50 later, total fare cost me ~$16. Satisfied here.
Old Apr 30, 2017, 4:16 pm

Programs: United, AA, Avianca
They are marginally better than IHG---who are the absolute worst!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.