Discover America: Daily Getaways 2013 from 6/10 to 7/12

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Discover America: Daily Getaways 2013 from 6/10 to 7/12

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2013, 12:45 am

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
I was trying to get in last year for several items however it became pointless as it seemed like I was forever the bridesmaid. I'm sure it willl be the same for the best packages again. I'll try again and if I get in on just one I will feel lucky. A couple years ago when SPG points were on sale, several people got in on several packages themselves for the different denominations. Wish that was the case with me.
Old May 10, 2013, 4:25 pm

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 600k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
Originally Posted by schley
I was trying to get in last year for several items however it became pointless as it seemed like I was forever the bridesmaid. I'm sure it willl be the same for the best packages again. I'll try again and if I get in on just one I will feel lucky. A couple years ago when SPG points were on sale, several people got in on several packages themselves for the different denominations. Wish that was the case with me.
I did, and I do.
Old May 11, 2013, 5:26 pm

Man I hope they offer the Avis Chairman's club! I didn't see it last year.
Old May 11, 2013, 5:27 pm

Man I hope they offer the Avis Chairman's club! I didn't see it last year.
Old May 11, 2013, 5:54 pm

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
As much as this pains me to say it, maybe they need to offer 'not such great deals', LOL. Set the threshold a bit higher, so that the SD crowd can't arb these things.

For example, I recently stayed in the Clarion Bergen for 16k Choice points. It's a $400+ / hotel -- one of the best in the country (if not the best). Naturally, I'd be willing to pay more than somebody just wanting to take their family to the Houston Rodeway Inn.
Old May 11, 2013, 11:11 pm

This year, I hope they still offer HHonors points. They were great deal last year, not so this year. However, I still have good use for them for a particular property. Maybe I'll have a chance getting some this year as it is not a "good" deal anymore.
Old May 12, 2013, 9:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hobo13
As much as this pains me to say it, maybe they need to offer 'not such great deals', LOL. Set the threshold a bit higher, so that the SD crowd can't arb these things.

For example, I recently stayed in the Clarion Bergen for 16k Choice points. It's a $400+ / hotel -- one of the best in the country (if not the best). Naturally, I'd be willing to pay more than somebody just wanting to take their family to the Houston Rodeway Inn.
Well, in many regards, you were the "abuser" of that deal because it's supposed to be a "see the USA" promo -- not a way to get cheap Scandinavian hotels.

That said, I will candidly admit to using many (most?) of my Discover America points overseas.

The thing I don't like are the "transfer arbitrage" offers. For instance, I like to buy Wyndham Rewards points to stay in their hotels and motels. (Yes, they're usually not the best properties in the world, but sometimes they're the best options in a particular town I've visiting -- perhaps because the other chain hotels are bad deals in their loyalty program). I don't like the competition from folks who just want to flip these points into airline miles. Nor should Wyndham; logic would suggest the points should be used in the program you buy them for.
Old May 13, 2013, 3:48 am

Programs: AA EXP,AS MVPG,MR Platinum,HH Gold
Originally Posted by iahphx
Well, in many regards, you were the "abuser" of that deal because it's supposed to be a "see the USA" promo -- not a way to get cheap Scandinavian hotels.

That said, I will candidly admit to using many (most?) of my Discover America points overseas.

The thing I don't like are the "transfer arbitrage" offers. For instance, I like to buy Wyndham Rewards points to stay in their hotels and motels. (Yes, they're usually not the best properties in the world, but sometimes they're the best options in a particular town I've visiting -- perhaps because the other chain hotels are bad deals in their loyalty program). I don't like the competition from folks who just want to flip these points into airline miles. Nor should Wyndham; logic would suggest the points should be used in the program you buy them for.
Wyndham is just happy to see the liability leave their books I'm sure they make money on those transfers, which is why they offer them in the first place. Coming from someone who sent all his purchased Wyndham to AC (before YQ) and AA
Old May 13, 2013, 8:13 am

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond

Hello Pot. Meet Kettle.

Actually, you said what I was trying to say much more clearly. Yes, it's the arbitrage offers that don't seem to make sense. I too buy hotel points to stay in hotels..... my kiddos still can't tell the difference between a Park Hyatt and a Super 8! Well, they can.... the Super 8 lets you make your own waffles.

But yes, good point. I guess maybe they should rename the Choice day, 'Discover Scandanavia'
Old May 13, 2013, 8:23 am

Programs: Any program with a credit card, or good prices.
Same here, the Wyndham points are great for folks that just want a basic hotel like me. I'm burning the last of my 2012 points in July for a trip to Cape Cod!
Old May 13, 2013, 9:00 am

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 600k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
Talking

Originally Posted by hobo13
...my kiddos still can't tell the difference between a Park Hyatt and a Super 8! Well, they can.... the Super 8 lets you make your own waffles.
You might be surprised at some point. We usually stayed in Hyatts ... We arrived at a Choice Hotel ... "Hm!" ... "Wha-at?" ... "Dad, if you don't know !" ...He was about six.
Old May 13, 2013, 9:04 am

Originally Posted by Firewind
You might be surprised at some point. We usually stayed in Hyatts ... We arrived at a Choice Hotel ... "Hm!" ... "Wha-at?" ... "Dad, if you don't know !" ...He was about six.
This is why you never ever ever take your kids to sit in good seats at sporting events. They have a blast in average seats, but all it takes is just once in the good seats and you're screwed forever.
Old May 13, 2013, 9:15 am

Originally Posted by lkar
This is why you never ever ever take your kids to sit in good seats at sporting events. They have a blast in average seats, but all it takes is just once in the good seats and you're screwed forever.
...Let alone business class on a redeye to Europe. Though, at some point, they're on their own with their own FF miles, and it's a different story.
Old May 13, 2013, 9:53 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Firewind
...Let alone business class on a redeye to Europe. Though, at some point, they're on their own with their own FF miles, and it's a different story.
The pre-school children in our extended family have asked -- at some point -- something like this when flying: "why don't these seats also become beds?". While Discover America Daily Getaways haven't been the main driver in their premium cabin travels, they certainly have been a contributing factor to freeing up funds for getting into premium cabins at least a bit more than usual.
Old May 13, 2013, 10:15 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder
The pre-school children in our extended family have asked -- at some point -- something like this when flying: "why don't these seats also become beds?". While Discover America Daily Getaways haven't been the main driver in their premium cabin travels, they certainly have been a contributing factor to freeing up funds for getting into premium cabins at least a bit more than usual.
We talk all the time about what we're saving it on, but after all, what are we saving it for? I was about as proud as I've ever been when he and his girlfriend launched on their first (!) Europe backpack and railpass trek, and he remembered everything from our travels. ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.