Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[EXPIRED] Error Fare - Hilton New York at 30 USD per night

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2011, 7:13 am

Programs: AGR, PC, HH no status as I stopped paying for travel
Originally Posted by MD/DC Flyer
The mistake was discovered and the rate pulled in about 30 minutes after it was posted on FT (and other placed). Everyone (including myself) have been getting the e-mails about the mistake.

Now it is the time for negotiating an acceptable resolution. There is no way to negotiate without actually communicating with Hilton.
Again;
Why would you call in the middle of the night when all you are going to get is a CSA who has no power.
Further
Communicate by e-mail so you have a record make the e-mail clear, concise and non-threatenning.
DO NOT CALL as the CSA's can only say no and NOTHING of magnitude is ever resolved at the CSA level.

As we have seen in previous mistake rate threads there can be different outcomes for different people even on the same mistake.

Again now is the time to negotiate a resolution with as good an outcome as you can manage.

Now is the time for everyone to act slowly and intelligently. Both of these are hard for people to do today as everyone wants instant resolution and have lost the art of negotiating (IE BLUE state politicians and RED state politicians)
Old Nov 9, 2011, 7:24 am

Programs: AA, Delta, NWA,HHonors, Hyatt BF
Hyatt was not nice with the Andaz issue a year or two back.

I checked my reservation and it seems that someone also decided...not me...that I agreed to book a room at a much higher rate. That is outrageous. Either cancel or communicate, but don't change the rate and then commit me to a reservation I never agreed to. If I don't cancel, I'm on the hook for a few hundred bucks, which is, again, outrageous.
Old Nov 9, 2011, 7:29 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum
Has anyone ever requested points as an inducement to cancel?
Old Nov 9, 2011, 7:30 am

Programs: bmi British Midland International Diamond Club
Originally Posted by redreeper
Hyatt were very generous by honouring reservations up until a certain date and giving a 60% discount thereafter. They fully honoured my 5 night stay at $0.
Old Nov 9, 2011, 7:37 am

Originally Posted by Strawb
Hyatt were very generous by honouring reservations up until a certain date and giving a 60% discount thereafter. They fully honoured my 5 night stay at $0.
And I, on the otherhand, got a rock

Which proves Darbens point - different people can get different results.
Old Nov 9, 2011, 8:00 am

Programs: AGR, PC, HH no status as I stopped paying for travel
Bolger hotel near Washington is another case were different people received different results.
Old Nov 9, 2011, 8:21 am

Got the email, but....

My rate hasn't been updated. Wonder what will happen if I just show up with the printout of my current rate, saying I never got an email?
Old Nov 9, 2011, 9:07 am

Programs: AA-UA-AS IHG-SPG-Carlson
Originally Posted by Mrgolfer21
My rate hasn't been updated. Wonder what will happen if I just show up with the printout of my current rate, saying I never got an email?
They will show you a printout of this thread and your post !!
Old Nov 9, 2011, 9:27 am

Originally Posted by MrHalliday
They will show you a printout of this thread and your post !!
Good point. And then you will be past cancellation point and they can charge you full rate anyway.

I think they changed the rates (for most of us) to force a response or cancellation.

I rarely respond, in this case I did.
Old Nov 9, 2011, 9:50 am

Programs: IC Diamond Amb, Bonvoy Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, HH Diamond
Interestingly enough our "discounted" rates due to the technical glitch are very close to this offer I just got: Travel Ticker Upscale New York Hotel ...maybe worth mentioning for negotiations...

Update: Well with the promised upgrade they throw in for bookings until Friday the rate is exactly the same as the one I got offered for an executive room....
Old Nov 9, 2011, 10:22 am

Good point. And then you will be past cancellation point and they can charge you full rate anyway.

I think they changed the rates (for most of us) to force a response or cancellation.

I rarely respond, in this case I did.
Doubt they would know..not like my reservation says Mrgolfer. Lol. I'll think of a meaningful offer to send back to them...even though they will probably say no. But hey, good entertainment.
Old Nov 9, 2011, 12:56 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by MD/DC Flyer
The mistake was discovered and the rate pulled in about 30 minutes after it was posted on FT (and other placed). Everyone (including myself) have been getting the e-mails about the mistake.

Now it is the time for negotiating an acceptable resolution. There is no way to negotiate without actually communicating with Hilton.
You really think you're going to get something from Hilton? Good luck. I was the OP from BFT of the Waldorf Astoria Collection $25 La Quinta Resort deal a few yars ago...and Hilton was a b*tch about that deal to the point they had to be sued. Priceline is the one who paid for the one room per member, not Hilton. You're going to get nothing.
Old Nov 9, 2011, 1:25 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, TK Gold

I checked my reservation and it seems that someone also decided...not me...that I agreed to book a room at a much higher rate. That is outrageous. Either cancel or communicate, but don't change the rate and then commit me to a reservation I never agreed to. If I don't cancel, I'm on the hook for a few hundred bucks, which is, again, outrageous.

Part of the terms of the reservation is:

"We reserve the right to cancel or modify reservations where it appears that a customer has engaged in fraudulent or inappropriate activity or under other circumstances where it appears that the reservations contain or resulted from a mistake or error."

I don't like it either, but they can do that. The smart thing to do? The customer friendly thing to do? No, but you have agreed to it when you booked.

I have sent back my counter-offer this morning and so far the silence is deafening.
Old Nov 9, 2011, 1:47 pm

And now my rate has been updated. Time for the counter offer.
Old Nov 9, 2011, 2:23 pm

Programs: AA-UA-AS IHG-SPG-Carlson
Originally Posted by CalItalian
You really think you're going to get something from Hilton? Good luck. I was the OP from BFT of the Waldorf Astoria Collection $25 La Quinta Resort deal a few yars ago...and Hilton was a b*tch about that deal to the point they had to be sued. Priceline is the one who paid for the one room per member, not Hilton. You're going to get nothing.
Thanks for that blast from the past ! ^
I remember it well, they did allow us one room,
but I cancelled both res as it was to be a family affair,
and got nothing, as you said.

It is memorable, however, as the only hotel "deal" that
I know of where a suit was actually completed...
and IIRC the plaintiff did get a few $K back...

Last edited by MrHalliday; Nov 9, 2011 at 2:25 pm Reason: sp

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.