Wiki Posts
Search

Hotel Deals Roach Motel - Talk about anything hotel-related here

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2010, 6:35 pm
Original Member, Moderator: Hotel Deals and MilesBuzz
Original Poster

Talking Hotel Deals Roach Motel - Talk about anything hotel-related here

Even though the Hotel Deals forum is meant exclusively for the posting of unadvertised hotel specials, BRGs and rate mistakes, a lot of our forum visitors have questions, seek advice or have something else to share with the group.

What belongs in the Roach Motel? Just about anything. Go for it! This thread will be moderated with a light touch so post whatever you want as long as it is remotely related to hotels.

What does NOT belong here? Requests for trades and the posting of corporate codes. Those are huge no-nos. Of course, hostilities towards others will not be tolerated. Play nice. Spam will be removed.

Enjoy!

MileageAddict
Hotel Deals Moderator

Last edited by MileageAddict; Aug 7, 2013 at 6:33 am
Old Apr 28, 2010, 6:56 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Is this thread similar to a Lounge™ thread?

If so, I want to offer my best wishes on an informative and productive yet fun thread!
Old Apr 28, 2010, 7:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Will things that may be better suited for other fora be moved there? (i.e. something that may be a better fit for SPG/HH/MR/IC, etc, or something that may be better fit for Vegas or Online Travel Agencies & Bidding).

If this is a lounge thread, awesome! ^ But I just think that things that may be better suited in other fora and may help out (or be answered better) in the other fora should be put there...

Just my 2 cents...
Old Apr 28, 2010, 8:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ua mm, aa plat, starriott LTPP, ihg plat, hh gold.
wheeee, what a fun idea! ^
Old Apr 28, 2010, 10:32 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

Originally Posted by Canarsie
Is this thread similar to a Lounge™ thread
I think it could turn into a Lounge™ thread. At this point, it's an experiment. We get many requests for help, and have many members who are willing to help, but we have been closing a lot of discussion threads because we don't want to clutter up the forum. This new dedicated discussion thread creates a "flame free" zone for deal requests and discussion.

Originally Posted by bhatnasx
Will things that may be better suited for other fora be moved there? (i.e. something that may be a better fit for SPG/HH/MR/IC, etc, or something that may be better fit for Vegas or Online Travel Agencies & Bidding).
Mistakes ($9 at IC HK) and Deals ($129 at Hyatt Kauai) should still be posted as separate threads in the main Hotel Deal forums. When we find that a thread is more suitable to a specific hotel forum or the travel booking engine forum, the discussion will be moved there. Some more general discussion may be moved from the main Hotel Deals forum to the Lounge thread.

In addition, we are re-working our policy on what gets posted in the Hotel Deals forum. We may now allow threads on noteworthy sales (e.g, Accor 50% off sale) to stay in the Hotel Deals forum, even if this means some duplication of information that's already posted in a particular hotel chain's forum.
Old Apr 29, 2010, 4:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Cool - thanks, jpdx!
Old Apr 29, 2010, 5:55 pm

Programs: Nothing worth mentioning
Great idea Hotel Mods & thanks for the extra efforts!
Old Apr 29, 2010, 8:10 pm

Programs: Nothing worth mentioning
Hotel Gossip & Discounts: New Place to Post?

Mods: would this thread be appropriate place for link to non-OTA* sites where we can direct others to leads for hotel discounts? For example, I have found great leads & discounts for new hotel openings at: http://www.hotelchatter.com/

*On-Line Travel Agencies
Old Apr 30, 2010, 2:36 pm
Original Member, Moderator: Hotel Deals and MilesBuzz
Original Poster

Based on contributed reviews, TripAdvisor has come out with their Dirtiest Hotels in America 2010 list. Yikes! Thankfully, I haven't stayed at any of them.
Old Apr 30, 2010, 2:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MileageAddict
Based on contributed reviews, TripAdvisor has come out with their Dirtiest Hotels in America 2010 list. Yikes! Thankfully, I haven't stayed at any of them.
I definitely stayed at that Super 8 in Va Beach when I was in college. It was a $35/night dump back then!
Old May 1, 2010, 11:16 pm

Programs: WoH Globalist, AA Platinum Pro, HHonors Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver, Hertz Prez's Circle
Help Choosing a Loyalty Program?

Cool new sticky! I am hoping to find some loyalty program choosing advice, as I have not found too much info yet via searches. While there are many individual loyalty program threads, I may have somewhat of an overarching question:

Basically, my old job had me traveling a lot but not staying in hotels much. My new job will need me to stay in hotels approximately 3-5 days per month. I'm PM on DL through 2/2011 (I mention that only because it might be relevant to getting some status on a hotel loyalty program (I vaguely remember getting a letter or two about this a while back)).

I see the value in staying loyal to an airline and am wondering if it's similar in the hotel world. Basically, the guideline I got so far is that when I travel, I want to find rooms for approximately $100 or less (I realize that's limiting but understand it to be the reality). Also, if possible, I'd like a program that can get me as many free rooms (for personal use) as possible and possibly other perks, like airline miles (doesn't matter what airline). Basically, a solid program with a framework that allows me to often find rooms at $100 or less (Considering that my first trip is to Chicago this Wed-Sun-ish, it's clear that that is a challenge! ).

Any insight is appreciated. If there are great links/threads I should peruse, please let me know (I really know very little at this point)! Thanks for reading
Old May 2, 2010, 9:48 am

Programs: * A
very nice, perfect timing for all the summer hotel fun
Old May 2, 2010, 11:19 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
If this were about the worst, absolutely the worst, property experienced, I would not hesitate to nominate the holder of the nadir spot in my benchmark for hotels, the Ahauna Ula hotel in Flores, Petén, Guatemala.

My scale runs 1 - 9, no perfect hell, no perfect hotel, held down at one end by the Ahauna Ula and the other by the Oberoi Amarvilas, in Agra, India.

We were stranded in Flores by unseasonable rains and "any port in a storm" was the rule of the day - words to regret. Our $2.00 room had street views, no screens, grotty sheets left over from what would pass as Guatemala's CSI training academy, spotted walls, bare electric bulbs and switches, filthy cold water bath down the hall. We did not undress - and a few minutes after turning the lights out decided to leave the light burning as we attempted "sleep" - a queue of bugs entered the window and bee-lined for our sleeping pallet. Memorable, yes. Returnable, never! But, well under $100...

A good and true roach hotel would be the Ramada Boca Raton (Florida) I was stuck in once when doing a job for Sony - only in Florida, they call those "palmetto bugs".

In the meantime, we are in Hawai'i just now, enjoying the spirit of Aloha (it's raining, but that in turn is keeping the vog down):

Old May 2, 2010, 11:36 am

Originally Posted by Kohoutek
...MileageAddict, I've subscribed. I'd like to see where this thread takes us.
Hmmm. Of the posts thus far, 9 are from Mod/TB types. This could be a real party thread.
Old May 2, 2010, 12:09 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

Originally Posted by Kohoutek
Hmmm. Of the posts thus far, 9 are from Mod/TB types. This could be a real party thread.
There you go, an almost private forum where deals can be shared without fear of being killed by trigger-happy newbies or read by airline/hotel lurkers. Who's the first to post a $2 presidential suite deal?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.