Reload this Page >

Hotel Deals Roach Motel - Talk about anything hotel-related here

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hotel Deals Roach Motel - Talk about anything hotel-related here

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2010, 9:47 am

Arrow How To Find The Cheapest Rates At Any Hotel In The US....

When traveling for pleasure I often use corporate codes and the savings can be up 35% of the listed rates on the hotel website.

However another way to save is simply calling the hotel, ask to speak to sales and ask if there are any conferences going on at the hotel because you may be interested in having a meeting. You just want to know whats going on.

My savings:

Westin New Orleans- I mentioned I was there for Veterans Affairs Risk Management program.

Conference price-139.00 plus tax
Hotel price- 329.00 plus tax

PS for any Starwood Properties when you speak to global reservations they also know which conference are happening at that property.

Those of you part of the moral and ethical club, don't read my thread, move on.
Old May 9, 2010, 9:58 am

Thanks for the tip. And you're right, the ethics police are on patrol. But some would argue your plan may actually benefit the conference organizers in some cases.

Anyway, it sounds like you can't just ask if there are conferences going on at the hotel in a particular week, but what conferences. Do they volunteer this information?
Old May 9, 2010, 10:03 am

Originally Posted by MrEntrepreneur
However another way to save is simply calling the hotel, ask to speak to sales and ask if there are any conferences going on at the hotel because you may be interested in having a meeting. You just want to know whats going on.
Those of you part of the moral and ethical club, don't read my thread, move on.
In your experience do they ever indicate that they will be inputting with your reservation some sort of code connected to the conference (which then would result in them requesting to see your membership card or conference attendance document at check in)?
Old May 9, 2010, 10:27 am

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Bonvoy Platinum, Hyatt Globalist
You can sign up for reports to see what conferences would be held at what hotels.... you'd have to pay for these reports though
Old May 9, 2010, 10:27 am

Originally Posted by mikensf74
Thanks for the tip. And you're right, the ethics police are on patrol. But some would argue your plan may actually benefit the conference organizers in some cases.

Anyway, it sounds like you can't just ask if there are conferences going on at the hotel in a particular week, but what conferences. Do they volunteer this information?
Well when you speak to Sales you first ask by saying I was looking to book a meeting space on this particular day do you have other events going on, then you ask if you don't mind me asking what would that be. Most of the time they will gladly speak up if you chat with them.
Old May 9, 2010, 10:30 am

Originally Posted by muji
In your experience do they ever indicate that they will be inputting with your reservation some sort of code connected to the conference (which then would result in them requesting to see your membership card or conference attendance document at check in)?
In my experience, when the hotel reservation desk is not able to make the reservation the conference has its own website where it wants attendees to register. 9 times out 10 the hotel handles the reservations for the group.

The front desk has never asked for any documentation.
Old May 9, 2010, 10:31 am

Originally Posted by Jimgotkp
You can sign up for reports to see what conferences would be held at what hotels.... you'd have to pay for these reports though
Which website would that be?
Old May 9, 2010, 12:49 pm

Programs: UAL, AA, HILTON, MARRIOTT, SPG
Most Spacious Hotel Rooms in New York City (Manhattan

What are the most spacious hotel rooms in New York City (Manhattan) for the least amount of money (most square footage for your $).

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Old May 9, 2010, 2:01 pm

Talking

What is your budget per night? And what is your ideal Sq Footage for the room?
Old May 9, 2010, 2:16 pm

Programs: DL , AC, BA, Hhonors Diamond, IH Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
When you can get a decent rate, the Marriott Marquis has gigantic rooms. They'd be big for any city, much less New York.
Old May 9, 2010, 2:21 pm

^Agreed. They have 2000+ rooms but it is very touristy.
Old May 9, 2010, 3:18 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Bonvoy Platinum, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by MrEntrepreneur
Which website would that be?
To be honest, I forgot which company has this listing. I was taught that hotels use these reports to know which groups/companies are going to competitor hotels for meetings/conventions.
Old May 9, 2010, 3:28 pm

Programs: AMEX PLT, AA PPro, Spire AMB
Originally Posted by flavatravel
What are the most spacious hotel rooms in New York City (Manhattan) for the least amount of money (most square footage for your $).

Does anyone have any suggestions?

I LOVE the London NYC, usually weekend nights are $299 and rooms are a minimum of 500 sq ft. Marriott Marquis is large too, but I like the London's Midtown location instead of the touristy times square.

That said, London was out of my price range on a weekyda, so I booked the Marriott Marquis for an upcoming stay
Old May 10, 2010, 2:26 am

Programs: SU/DL/US/MR
If you want roaches, laughes, chills and a few sleepless night on the cheap then go with the AAU & Motel 6 discount.

Motel 6 CP540332 <---- promo code

AAU is American Atheltic Union, open to anyone to join although the rate code usually never requires an official AAU form of id. If you wanted to play it safe, just go over to the AAU and register yourself with them, a years membership for most sporting catagories will set you back around $12. I've been forced to ditch the Marriott's for a M6 when with my team and I've used the above code to snag rooms at or under $35 a night... roaches and cold sweats were always complimentary^
Old May 11, 2010, 9:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Frontier Gold, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, CO/NW/UA/AA once gold/plat/comped gold now dust.
Has anyone been doing rebates via Hotels.com and Entertainment?

The hotels.com rebate deal via Entertainment books is a lot better than the current general hotels.com rebate deal if the hotel is booked online at the travel subsection of Entertainment.com (i.e. Hotels.com engine on another site):

2 nights - $30 (credited back to card)
3-4 nights - $50
5-7 nights - $80
8-9 nights - $140
10+ nights - $250 (!)

I'm kicking myself now for doing a 3-night booking at $105-ish a-i on the general site (totally nonrefundable, natch) that's eligible for $20 back when it could have been done on the Entertainment site and been eligible for the $50.

In combing the T&Cs on the Entertainment rebate I don't see any "gotcha" conditions like minimums per night or one-per-customer (each ENT book has 2 mail-in certs, and I don't see any limit to number of rebates). Rates must be charged to credit card in advance and rebates can only be claimed after stay is complete, but in some cases you can cancel and only pay for a night's stay or maybe not even that.

OTOH, I know that mail-in rebates in general can be fraught with problems. Does anyone out there have experience with hotels.com rebates on the Entertainment Guaranteed Best Rate Program? I guess I'm looking for some comfort level that they'll honor it as stated. In other areas there are horror stories of rebates being very slow, bogus claims of not receiving paperwork, or denials of payment based on something not disclosed in the T&Cs. How good are they at processing or paying out these things promptly?

Also, I'm pricing out some places in Thailand for summer travel for $278 a-i for 10 days, which should be eligible for $250 in rebates on this. I don't see any geographic restrictions on the hotels in the T&Cs or anything else to prevent this. Am I missing something? Seems like this can be a tremendous deal for low-cost hotels anywhere, but I'm really leery about rebates.

(BTW, ENT books are going for $12-15 nowadays for 2010 on their site).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.