Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Hong Kong and Macau
Reload this Page >

What to Pack for Four Month Trip to Hong Kong

Old Aug 19, 2009, 4:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, AC *S, Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Explorist

I will be studying abroad in Hong Kong for four months as an exchange student and was reading (with fear) about all these weather anomalies that the city seems to have. My question is: how can I pack to be prepared for these storms and what not. Is heavy duty rain gear (that I would get from a camping shop) be necessary? Is it hot while it rains? What type of shoes are good for walking around? I will be there Sept - Dec.

Thanks!

Cheers,
Old Aug 19, 2009, 7:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: None any more
A good place to ask questions like this is one of the Expat forums for Hong Kong such as http://www.geoexpat.com

The short answer is no you don't need heavy duty raingear. The rainy season extends to about late September / early October. Normal trainers/sneakers are fine for walking around.

All the climatological data you could want here: http://www.hko.gov.hk/cis/climat_e.htm
Old Aug 19, 2009, 9:19 pm

Too hot and humid for goretex. Good walking shoes and sandals, with umbrella is enough. Pack light, you'll end up getting clothese.

Same advice i gave my son before he landed here to study a couple of years back
Old Aug 21, 2009, 10:59 pm

Programs: BA Gold, JGC Sapphire, OZ Diamond, AF Silver, CX GR, Marriott Lifetime SL
Originally Posted by sadiqhassan
I will be studying abroad in Hong Kong for four months as an exchange student and was reading (with fear) about all these weather anomalies that the city seems to have. My question is: how can I pack to be prepared for these storms and what not. Is heavy duty rain gear (that I would get from a camping shop) be necessary? Is it hot while it rains? What type of shoes are good for walking around? I will be there Sept - Dec.

Thanks!

Cheers,
An umbrella from convenience store will perform perfectly well. Even there's storm most wind are blocked by high risers.... Many HK-er to go karaoke / movie / Mahjong when Signal 8+ is hosted when the city is halted (HK typhoon signal is 1 / 3 / 8/ 9 /10, which 10 means direct hit of a strong one) For sep arrival you might have chance to meet 1 or 2 but not a lot. Rain basically done by October

Sept to December is quite a big change in temperature. Sept you have around of 25 - 33 and Dec you have 14 - 18
Old Aug 26, 2009, 9:31 am

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Clothing in HK is reasonably inexpensive. You can always supp your wardrobe by buying what yo need.
As said in prior posts. Summer months are very hot and humid, not unlike weather in NYC. Once you get indoor, you may freeze due to strong air-con in most commercial buildings.
Old Aug 26, 2009, 11:44 am

Programs: M&M FTL, FB Gold
I did my study abroad there as well. Which uni are you going to?

For clothing one sweater and one light jacket were enough. It's a city so it's usually quite easy to jump inside somewhere if it really poors down. You do tend to walk a lot so comfortable shoes are a bit plus. It never gets really cold, though in December you can have some chilly weather, especially when it rains.
Old Aug 26, 2009, 9:07 pm

Programs: MPC
Sep, Oct, Nov, Dec are good months weather wise. Rainy season over, autumnal feel.
Old Aug 29, 2009, 10:03 am

You just bring what you would wear if you were attending a school in say North Carolina during the same time of the year. Maybe bring a sweater and windbreaker for the few days the weather will dip at night. It might get a little cold by November or you could still be wearing shorts.
Old Aug 29, 2009, 5:57 pm

Air conditioning indoors can be quite forceful and heavy -- thus very cool, so you would do well to have a standard cotton sweater.

I studied abroad there too Sep to Dec and it only rained hard on the second day I was there. No extra rain gear necessary. I do not think I even purchased and umbrella at all there.

I agree the last quarter of the year is the best time to be in HKG.

ENJOY!
Old Sep 2, 2009, 11:07 am

Originally Posted by allset2travel
Clothing in HK is reasonably inexpensive. You can always supp your wardrobe by buying what yo need.
+1 ^
Don’t pack too much and buy anything extra you need over there. It will certainly be cheaper than in the US (if you do not care too much about specific brands).
Old Sep 4, 2009, 2:56 am

Programs: LH, AB, SPG, CC, Sixt, EC
Great thread. I will be there as well for study abroad from January to May next year.

I assume climate will be different I was told it's pretty chilly during Jan and Feb.

Any different advice in regards to my travel season?
Old Sep 4, 2009, 3:04 am
Suspended

Programs: None any more
As I said earlier:
Originally Posted by christep
All the climatological data you could want here: http://www.hko.gov.hk/cis/climat_e.htm
Between January and May you could have daytime temperatures anywhere from 10 degrees to 30 degrees.
Old Sep 4, 2009, 8:47 am

Programs: nobody
Originally Posted by supermasterphil
Great thread. I will be there as well for study abroad from January to May next year.

I assume climate will be different I was told it's pretty chilly during Jan and Feb.

Any different advice in regards to my travel season?
A light jacket is all you need even in Jan and Feb. Like others have said, other than medical essentials, pack light, you can always get it in HK.
Old Sep 4, 2009, 11:07 am

Programs: LH, AB, SPG, CC, Sixt, EC
Originally Posted by mobilebucky
A light jacket is all you need even in Jan and Feb. Like others have said, other than medical essentials, pack light, you can always get it in HK.
Thank you so much. I already look forward to shorten European winter and hopefully meet a couple of Flyertalkers in HKG.

Is there something like a regular FT table?
Old Sep 4, 2009, 3:22 pm

Programs: DL Gold, DL MM 8/22/16!
Another vote for buying stuff there. What they sell there works there. And it will make great mementos (can never spell souvenier?).

You might look at the Extras pull-down above, under Merchandise I thing (one of those nasty ads is blocking it right now so I can't see exactly). You can buy lots of FT stuff to help make yourself known to other FTers. The luggage tags in particular, but there are t-s and such.

Romelle

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.