Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Hong Kong and Macau
Reload this Page >

Suggestions in getting from HK to Shenzhen

Old Apr 29, 09, 10:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLAT 3.8mm, DL gold

For years I have been taking the TurboJet from the Hong Kong/China (Kowloon) station to Fuyong (Shenzhen Airport). There were 4 sailings back and forth daily which became 3, then 2, and last month just one. Now they have eliminated the TurboJet route completely.

Any suggestions on getting from Kowloon to Shenzhen? I hate to go back to the train although hopefully the border/customs crossing has improved since the old days.

Thanks!
Old Apr 29, 09, 11:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
Where in Shenzhen are you going to? If you're going to SZX, then there are several bus services that use the Shenzhen Bay crossing. And that's the best border to cross.

From Kowloon Tong and Prince Edward MTR (please choose the ones that go through Shenzhen Bay, and not Huanggang):
http://www.trans-island.com.hk/eng/china-line_szj.htm

From Kowloon AE station (Elements Mall):
http://www.chinalink.hk/co_service_routes16.html (in Chinese only, but you can find the times)

New, from Wan Chai (Wharney Guangdong Hotel on Lockhart Rd):
http://www.chinalink.hk/co_service_routes24.html (again, in Chinese only)
Old Apr 29, 09, 11:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLAT 3.8mm, DL gold
Thanks for your response. Generally we are picked up by our factories at the Turbojet terminal (Fuyong) but I am sure we could be fetched at the airport or city center.
Old Apr 29, 09, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Shenzhen is a fairly big place. Therefore it really depends on where the factories are. There are still ferry from Kowloon to Shekou, so that's another option. Or just take one of the buses to the Shenzhen Bay crossing and have them pick you up there.

The Shenzhen Bay border crossing is 100x better than Lowu or Huanggang.

Or there's also the new Lok Ma Chau crossing, also less busy than Lowu. Now, if you take the East Rail train from Kowloon, I think for every 2 that terminates at Lowu, there's one that terminates at Lok Ma Chau.
Old Apr 29, 09, 12:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, CX DIA, EK Gold
I always crossed at Lo Wu.
Old Apr 29, 09, 12:20 pm

Programs: FB Platinum
Originally Posted by chiproos View Post
For years I have been taking the TurboJet from the Hong Kong/China (Kowloon) station to Fuyong (Shenzhen Airport). There were 4 sailings back and forth daily which became 3, then 2, and last month just one. Now they have eliminated the TurboJet route completely.

Any suggestions on getting from Kowloon to Shenzhen? I hate to go back to the train although hopefully the border/customs crossing has improved since the old days.

Thanks!

rkkwan has, as always, given a comprehensive answer regarding the buses.

Regarding the KTR, the border crossing is much, much easier now PROVIDING you take the train to Lok Ma Chau rather than Lo Wu border crossing

It generally takes me about 15 minutes maximum from getting off the train to being in Shenzhen ready for pick up. You need to tell whoever is picking you up that you will be at Futian Kou An which is the Mandarin name for the border crossing point. They will know it

http://www.mtr.com.hk/eng/train/system_map_pop_up.html

nickyboy
Old Apr 29, 09, 9:24 pm

(DELETED)
Old May 1, 09, 1:47 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

The Wanchai to Shenzhen busses leave from just across the road from the Wanchai Star Ferry terminal, to be precise about the location. I got off the ferry and saw a bunch of busses so went over and checked them out and was surprised to see they went to Shenzhen (also to the airport in Shenzhen I believe).

Also came back via Lok Ma Chau and I agree it was not at all busy. It is not indicated very well on the Shenzhen subway map that this is at one terminus of the short (#4) subway line.
Old May 1, 09, 2:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RichardInSF View Post
The Wanchai to Shenzhen busses leave from just across the road from the Wanchai Star Ferry terminal, to be precise about the location. I got off the ferry and saw a bunch of busses so went over and checked them out and was surprised to see they went to Shenzhen (also to the airport in Shenzhen I believe).
No, the new Chinalink Wanchai-SZX service via the Shenzhen Bay crossing doesn't leave from the ferry terminal. But from the Wharney Hotel on Lockhart Road, which is further inland.

Those buses you saw mostly goes through the Huanggang crossing, which should be avoided at all cost (unless at overnight hours, which is the only option). However, there may be a bus or two from there to Shenzhen Bay as well, though I have no info.

Last edited by rkkwan; May 1, 09 at 2:33 am
Old May 1, 09, 9:22 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime TITANIUM, Delta Skymiles
I just used the Lowu crossing last week. I can remember the days when you waited on line for 10-30 minutes to leave HK then another 20-40 minutes or more to enter China. This time it was less than 5 minutes out of HK and less than 10 minutes into China. I am told by friends who live in HK and cross regularly that this has become more normal.

Sorry to hear that Turbojet has stopped their Kowloon service. I did not know that. I have used the in both directions and always liked it.
Old May 9, 09, 6:42 am

Originally Posted by MW147 View Post
I just used the Lowu crossing last week. I can remember the days when you waited on line for 10-30 minutes to leave HK then another 20-40 minutes or more to enter China. This time it was less than 5 minutes out of HK and less than 10 minutes into China. I am told by friends who live in HK and cross regularly that this has become more normal.

Sorry to hear that Turbojet has stopped their Kowloon service. I did not know that. I have used the in both directions and always liked it.
did you use the train from hong kong or a bus?... i am trying to find out if there is a bus service from kowloon to lo wu which is easier than the train
anan
Old May 9, 09, 9:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by anan View Post
did you use the train from hong kong or a bus?... i am trying to find out if there is a bus service from kowloon to lo wu which is easier than the train
anan
You can only get to the Lowu crossing from the HK side by the East Rail train.

Buses mainly go to Huanggang, plus a few to the newer Shenzhen Bay and Lok Ma Chau crossings.
Old Jun 2, 09, 10:34 pm

Programs: MPC
Shenzhen Bay crossing, very clean, fast. Hardly anyone there, even on a Sunday evening.^
Old Jun 22, 09, 12:33 am

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM, AS MVPG 75K, MR-LT Titanium, HH Gold
I know the OP's title. How about in the reversed direction (Shenzhen to Kowloon)? What I am looking for is a hotel bus that picks up at my hotel (JW Marriott Shenzhen) to Element Mall, Kowloon. Is there such a bus? Give links if possible. Thx.
Old Jun 2, 10, 3:26 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond
I'm still confused. I arrive at Shenzhen airport on 6/27 and have a hotel in Kowloon, right next to the Star Ferry pier. Would be nice to take a ferry from Shenzhen to HK, even if it takes a couple of hours. Is this not possible anymore? Is a boring bus ride the only option?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: