Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Hong Kong and Macau
Reload this Page >

Private Transport HKIA to Dongguan (SkyLimo)

Private Transport HKIA to Dongguan (SkyLimo)

Old Jan 15, 09, 11:09 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: CGK SIN PER ORD
Programs: UA 1K MM, Hyatt Plat
Posts: 2,776
Private Transport HKIA to Dongguan (SkyLimo)

Hello, we have party of 3 golfers arriving from around the world in HK, each with their bulky golf bags. Our arrival times are between 5.45pm from SFO, 6.30 from BKK and 6.45 from PVG and we would like to head straight to Sofitel Golf Resort in Dongguan.

I went to the HKIA's website and read about SkyLimo and was thinking of renting one of their Alphard's to take3 of us to the hotel. But nowhere on the site does it mention costs.

Anyone have any clue or any other recommendation for other modes of transportation? We would like to keep it to 3 of us, and a no haggle pricing.

Thanks
indo79 is offline  
Old Jan 15, 09, 12:18 pm
  #2  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: IAH
Programs: La Ministreuse de Surréalisme, CO Plat, MR Plat, SPG Plat
Posts: 11,358
I've taken car service from hotels in HKG (Hotel arranged) to Dongguan and it's ranged (depending on time of year; read if it's busy and fairs are going on) from 1200 HKD to 1800 HKD.
baglady is offline  
Old Jan 15, 09, 2:54 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 7,108
The American Express Travel franchise in HK has a fleet of limo for hire but do not know if they operate cross-border. Here's the link, and you may want to send them an e-mail to check:

http://www.amextravel.com.hk/limo/index.asp
Clipper801 is offline  
Old Jan 15, 09, 5:43 pm
  #4  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Hong Kong
Programs: None any more
Posts: 11,015
I'm sure if you call the numbers on the HK Airport page for the two providers they will be able to quote you a price.
christep is offline  
Old Jan 15, 09, 6:13 pm
  #5  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: CGK SIN PER ORD
Programs: UA 1K MM, Hyatt Plat
Posts: 2,776
Originally Posted by christep View Post
I'm sure if you call the numbers on the HK Airport page for the two providers they will be able to quote you a price.
Thanks, I will call tonight but I was just wondering if there were any other companies?
indo79 is offline  
Old Jan 16, 09, 4:11 am
  #6  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Soon to be LEGT
Posts: 10,928
There's also a direct bus to the centre of Dongguan priced at about $180 per pax. I don't know where the golf-resort is, but my educated guess is that the most expensive taxi fare within the Dongguan area would be in the region of 50 yuan.
BTW, I find it really bizarre that someone would fly PVG-HKG then go back and cross the land border when they can catch a flight to SZX which is much nearer to Dongguan in addition to being within the PRC.
graraps is offline  
Old Jan 16, 09, 9:22 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: SFOSJCOAK
Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM, AS MVPG 75K, MR-LT Titanium, HH Gold
Posts: 5,841
Recall skylimo being mentioned in one thread in the China sub-forum,
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/china...airport-3.html
allset2travel is offline  
Old Jan 17, 09, 2:32 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Derbyshire, UK
Programs: FB Platinum
Posts: 520
Originally Posted by graraps View Post
There's also a direct bus to the centre of Dongguan priced at about $180 per pax. I don't know where the golf-resort is, but my educated guess is that the most expensive taxi fare within the Dongguan area would be in the region of 50 yuan.
BTW, I find it really bizarre that someone would fly PVG-HKG then go back and cross the land border when they can catch a flight to SZX which is much nearer to Dongguan in addition to being within the PRC.
or CAN for that matter

Crazy to fly to HKG if you actually want to get to Dong Guan !!

nickyboy
nickyboy is offline  
Old Jan 17, 09, 2:42 pm
  #9  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: HKG
Programs: Priority Club Plat
Posts: 12,311
Hey, who knows the rest of the story? Maybe that person coming in Shanghai won't fly any Chinese domestic airline? Maybe he/she has very special needs and really can't get from SZX to the hotel by him/herself?
rkkwan is offline  
Old Jan 19, 09, 8:37 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: 香港
Programs: MPC
Posts: 462
give these guys a call. 2882 1350 I use them for my golf trips.
thursday is offline  
Old Jan 19, 09, 8:44 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 7,108
Originally Posted by thursday View Post
give these guys a call. 2882 1350 I use them for my golf trips.
What is the name and address of this service provider please? Do they have a web site? I'd like to verify that they have a licence to carry passengers for hire and proper insurance. I may be able to use them on my next trip.

Thank you.
Clipper801 is offline  
Old Jan 19, 09, 9:10 pm
  #12  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: CGK SIN PER ORD
Programs: UA 1K MM, Hyatt Plat
Posts: 2,776
Originally Posted by rkkwan View Post
Hey, who knows the rest of the story? Maybe that person coming in Shanghai won't fly any Chinese domestic airline? Maybe he/she has very special needs and really can't get from SZX to the hotel by him/herself?
My mandarin is passable, but has gone downhill since I lived the past 13 years in the US. The person from BKK speaks no mandarin/cantonese whatsoever. The person from PVG is going to help us get around, and he is going to stay in HKG for 2 weeks after we leave for business. Hence the flight to HKG instead of SZX/CAN.

Besides, we are flying in to celebrate HIS 30th
indo79 is offline  
Old Jan 19, 09, 10:02 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: 香港
Programs: MPC
Posts: 462
Originally Posted by Clipper801 View Post
What is the name and address of this service provider please? Do they have a web site? I'd like to verify that they have a licence to carry passengers for hire and proper insurance. I may be able to use them on my next trip.

Thank you.
without doing a commercial, try this:

http://www.golf007.com/travel/index_en.html

press the "land" tab.
thursday is offline  
Old Jan 20, 09, 6:22 am
  #14  
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,323
Originally Posted by Clipper801 View Post
What is the name and address of this service provider please? Do they have a web site? I'd like to verify that they have a licence to carry passengers for hire and proper insurance. I may be able to use them on my next trip.

Thank you.
They probably don't - the fact is most cross border car service outfits do nothave a HK Hire Car Permit. Never had an issue, and my guy only charges HKD 450 from Central to the Lo Wu area in a Alphard, but it is something travelers should be aware of.
B-HQC is offline  
Old Jan 20, 09, 8:24 am
  #15  
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 7,108
Originally Posted by B-HQC View Post
They probably don't - the fact is most cross border car service outfits do nothave a HK Hire Car Permit. Never had an issue, and my guy only charges HKD 450 from Central to the Lo Wu area in a Alphard, but it is something travelers should be aware of.
My concern is, if we are involved in a serious accident, I am not sure if my travel insurance will cover as I am riding in an unlicensed hire car and whether the car will have insurance to cover me. If the operator does not have a HK Hire Car Permit, it most likely does not have proper insurance to carry passengers for compensation. At the end, I suppose that it is not an issue unless there is an accident. I shall then be penny wise and pound foolish. I think that I prefer to hire an operator with the proper licence and insurance even if it means more expensive but it's really an individual's personal choice.
Clipper801 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: