FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hong Kong and Macau (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hong-kong-macau-436/)
-   -   HK - Macau SIM card (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hong-kong-macau/786352-hk-macau-sim-card.html)

HKtraveller Feb 2, 2008 11:24 pm

HK - Macau SIM card

Since I spend a lot of time in Macau these days I am looking for a better solution:

I have a HK SIM card with three and a HK-Macau prepeid SIM card with Three that costs me 0.70 HK$ per minute roaming in Macau for both receiving calls on the HK mobile number and making local calls.
The disadvantage is that this card also costs 0.70HK$ when in HK. So I need the second card and forward the calls when in Macau.
I don't want a dual number, since when I receive a call on the Macau number and have the HK number forwarded (e.g. to a landline), crazy IDD charges apply and there is no way to block those calls according tho the three staff.
Furthermore is the prepaid card is not very convenient because it is valid only for 60 days, so I have to remember to recharge all the time. There is no auto recharge by credit card as they say.

Is there a better solution with another provider? I couldn't find one yet

craz Feb 6, 2008 9:24 am

A cheap Sim card for HK?

Found the answer on another thread

HKtraveller Feb 6, 2008 8:13 pm

Originally Posted by craz (Post 9201742)
Found the answer on another thread

I have followed your thread, it answers none of my questions. And I am not sure if there is an answer, but for sure it is not that simple.

civicmon Feb 7, 2008 9:08 am

I have a question somewhat on this same line: Do HK SIM cards work in Guangdong? Do they sell ones that do? I'll pay the roaming charges if that's necessary but rather buy one SIM than two.

Thanks.

rkkwan Feb 7, 2008 9:19 am

Originally Posted by civicmon (Post 9208234)
I have a question somewhat on this same line: Do HK SIM cards work in Guangdong? Do they sell ones that do? I'll pay the roaming charges if that's necessary but rather buy one SIM than two.

Thanks.

Yes, they will work. Depending the card, some if you want to dial back to HK or international, you'll need to punch in a bunch of numbers for call-back to get a lower rate.

But there are also now dual-number SIMs. I don't have one, but I saw lots of stores selling them at the Shun Tak Center (i.e. Macau Ferry Terminal) in HK. Don't know the detail, but those are most likely post-paid contract ones.

---

Actually, those may also be a solution for the OP. I see some stores have signs that say "One SIM three places - HK, Macau and China". Don't know if you also get a Macau number or just HK and China, or what's the rate. But that's one possible solution.

civicmon Feb 7, 2008 9:42 pm

Originally Posted by rkkwan (Post 9208291)
Yes, they will work. Depending the card, some if you want to dial back to HK or international, you'll need to punch in a bunch of numbers for call-back to get a lower rate.

But there are also now dual-number SIMs. I don't have one, but I saw lots of stores selling them at the Shun Tak Center (i.e. Macau Ferry Terminal) in HK. Don't know the detail, but those are most likely post-paid contract ones.

Thanks man. My larger concern is just being able to use it. I saw dual number SIMs but the amount of info on the net seemed extremely limited on exactly how they work.

I just need a prepaid SIM though, not a contract one...