hotel for usd 200?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2007, 6:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: IB Plat - Hilton Gold - Marriott Gold - IHG Ambassador
hotel for usd 200?

wow, i`ve read soo many posts about Hotels in Hong Kong...now i´m in
What would your recommendation be if:
- I will arrive in HKG from Argentina (30 hours flying) Aug 22.
- Just 1 night
- Next day must take ferry to Shenzen.
- Coming back for a full two days (Aug 27 and 28) to discover HKG for my first time in full to make 3 nights in total
- Rate of USD 200 approx (room only)

It seems that the Intercontinental Hong Kong has great views, the Langham Place in HKG has great reviews in Tripadvisor, Pen, MO and Ritz Carlton may be out of range (all WAY over USD 200)

Thanks in advance!
Old Jul 25, 2007, 6:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
Langham Place is under $200 for 8/22, and 8/27-29 on expedia.com

$153 Deluxe room, $179 Executive.

Best hotel under $200.
Old Jul 25, 2007, 12:16 pm

HK hotel prices are outrageous but the best time is dead of summer, eg August!

If you want a solid 3 star hotel, consider Holiday Inn Express, Times Square or Park Lane, both Causeway Bay area. The MTR station is there (although longer walk from Holiday Inn), both should be available for under $200.

I don't like Langham location, but's that purely personal preference; hotel itself is fine.
Old Jul 25, 2007, 3:13 pm

the renaissance which is in an ideal location is 1000HKD all those nights($127) at the corporate rate.

there are nicer hong kong hotels but the location is idea.

as a backup the kowloon hotel is $112 on hotels.com the first date.

both hotels are across the street from the penninsula in different directions. (the renaissance is across nathan road. the Kowloon a small street.) The Kowloon is managed by the penninsula, but the renaissance has far better views.

the langham place isn't in an awful location, but the others are in much better and the renaissance can offer spectacular views of the harbor if your room faces the right way.

I've never stayed there, though i have tried. (it had a convention and was way too expensive) I have stayed at the Kowloon.

Last edited by MrAOK; Jul 25, 2007 at 3:29 pm
Old Jul 25, 2007, 4:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The Renaissance in Tsimshatsui has no harborview. All rooms face the city side.

The Kowloon Hotel is notorious for its tiny rooms.

But yes, their locations are excellent.

The Langham Place will give you a different perspective of Hong Kong, being in the middle of Mongkok. Whether it fits you, I can't say.
Old Jul 25, 2007, 4:52 pm

hmm. i thought some of the renaissance rooms faced the other way.

the room was small at the kowloon, but i spent very very little time there and the location at the foot of the nathan street and right at the star ferry was ideal.

but others may better suggestions on the view. at the kowloon, rooms with a view of the harbor cost more.
Old Jul 25, 2007, 6:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Originally Posted by MrAOK
The Kowloon is managed by the penninsula
Not anymore.
Old Jul 25, 2007, 6:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Pickles
Not anymore.
Correct. It's now part of Li Ka Shing's Harbour Plaza group.
Old Jul 25, 2007, 8:20 pm

drat. there goes my only chance to get penninsula soaps and shampoos
Old Jul 25, 2007, 10:28 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

Priceline has been almost useless for 5* properties in HK recently, but you can certainly give it a try. The Sheraton hasn't come up in a while, but we were able to get the JW for $150 recently.
Old Jul 26, 2007, 12:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
Just a thought, but what about staying in a different location each time?

My recommendation on that budget - YMCA (http://www.ymcahk.org.hk/sales/html/hst001e.htm) harbourview room (right next to the Pen) on the first stop. Aug 22 has harbour view rooms available for HK$1078 inclusive, so about US$150.

On the return leg, stay on the Island side. Personally I think there's more going on here so it saves you a bit of travel time.

The Excelsior (http://www.mandarinoriental.com/excelsior/) has some good rates starting at HK$1180++. This place is run by Mandarin Oriental and it shows in the service (even if the rooms are perhaps a bit tired). Good location right next to Causeway Bay MRT stop and the island tram line.
Old Jul 26, 2007, 7:21 am

You should have no problem at all finding very decent (4 star or above) for under $200. The Intercontinental Grand Stanford (an excellent hotel located in TST E - way better the YMCA or the Excelsior), for example, has deluxe rooms starting at HKD 1013 ~ $130. (In fact, even harbor view rooms are available under $200!) That is a good deal IMO given it's actually below our corp rate. I will add that this is all available at www.ichotelsgroup.com/h/d/ic/1/en/hd/hkghb

Last edited by B-HQC; Jul 26, 2007 at 7:31 am
Old Jul 26, 2007, 1:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
Just be wary of how you access the IC... In August it's going to be warm, so a 1/2 mile stroll could well turn into more of an endurance. Your budget suggests to me that you're not necessarily going to be wanting to throw cash at (the admittedly cheap) taxis at every turn.

In summary, it may be a nice hotel, but it's a b*tch to get to...
Old Jul 26, 2007, 4:20 pm

If you don't want to spend a lot, I'd recommend the Metropark Hotel in Causeway Bay. Harbour view rooms are ~$130/night for your dates. I stayed there for 5 days a year ago and really liked it for the price. Convenient to MTR, dining, grocery, etc. Reviews on Tripadvisor are good too.

but...if budget isn't that big of a deal, I'd go with Langham Place. It's beautiful. I had afternoon tea there and would love to stay there if someone else was paying.

the public transportation (MTR) is amazing so as long as you stay someplace within walking distance of a station, getting around is no big deal, regardless of whether you choose Kowloon or Hong Kong Island.
Old Aug 1, 2007, 9:14 pm

Programs: UA, bmi, Leaders Club
Originally Posted by chejus
wow, i`ve read soo many posts about Hotels in Hong Kong...now i´m in
What would your recommendation be if:
- I will arrive in HKG from Argentina (30 hours flying) Aug 22.
- Just 1 night
- Next day must take ferry to Shenzen.
- Coming back for a full two days (Aug 27 and 28) to discover HKG for my first time in full to make 3 nights in total
- Rate of USD 200 approx (room only)

It seems that the Intercontinental Hong Kong has great views, the Langham Place in HKG has great reviews in Tripadvisor, Pen, MO and Ritz Carlton may be out of range (all WAY over USD 200)

Thanks in advance!
If you're going to Shenzen by ferry, I suppose you're going out of the Hong Kong China Ferry Terminal in Tsim Sha Tsui. I would suggest a night at the Langham hotel. Rooms for Aug 22 run for HKD 1500.00. It is within walking distance to the ferry terminal, yet a 5-star hotel with very nice service.

For your return, you can choose freely all over the city. Use a combinations of search engines and see what the price comes out right.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.