Community
Wiki Posts
Search

1-2 day side-trip suggestions

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2007, 11:33 am
Original Poster

1-2 day side-trip suggestions

We are going to Hong Kong for 1st time, scheduling 10-12 days. I've planned a day trip to Macau. Is it worth an overnite?
We are going in Nov.-Dec.
Can anyone recommend other side-trips, either overnite or more days?
How many days should I allow for standard tourism in Hong Kong?
Old Jul 16, 2007, 11:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
4 days is plenty for Hong Kong itself. 3 days is alright too.

Macau is definitely worth overnighting. Since hotels there are significantly cheaper than in Hong Kong, I suggest spending two nights there to have a full day. Go mid-day Day 1, come back morning Day 3.

Only place you can go without flying from Hong Kong is China. However, the areas around the Pearl River Delta isn't particularly charming or historical, and visa fee is pretty high (for US citizen, single entry is US$50; and they'll stop issuing single/dual-entry visas starting August 1st. Unlimited entry is $100). So quite a bit of cost and hassle.

If you haven't been to Thailand, you can spend 3-4 days there. Cheap and nice hotels and flights between HKG-BKK are relatively cheap. You can go to the beach if you want, or spend most of your time in Bangkok.

Or go to Taiwan. Short flight from Hong Kong. No visa necessary for short stay for Americans. Lots to see at the Palace Museum.
Old Jul 16, 2007, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by rkkwan
4 days is plenty for Hong Kong itself. 3 days is alright too.
I think that is quite subjective. Depending how much you want to rush around and how much you actually want to see, you could easily spend a week there without getting "bored". If it's a first trip to Asia however then I agree - get to Thailand and perhaps even Malaysia. The cost savings on hotels will probably offset any regional airfares.
Old Jul 16, 2007, 4:11 pm

When it comes to HK, more is always better. I was there for 5 days last year and wished I had 5 weeks. There is SO much to see and do, esp. if you want to take your time and enjoy everything without rushing around (perhaps the point of a vacation).
Macau is worth overnighting, I didn't make it there because I didn't have the time.
I think that if you spent 2 days in Macau and the rest in HK, you could easily fill 10 days, esp. if you have a wide variety of interests (shopping, culture, food, lounging...)
Old Jul 16, 2007, 6:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
Originally Posted by Swiss Tony
I think that is quite subjective. Depending how much you want to rush around and how much you actually want to see, you could easily spend a week there without getting "bored".
That's very true. I was simply giving a very rough suggestion based on the OP's inquiry about "standard tourism".

But I should clarify that my 3-4 day suggestion doesn't include Disneyland or Ocean Park. You can spend 2/3 of a day at each, of course.
Old Jul 16, 2007, 8:27 pm

Programs: MP, 1K 1MM
Consider Sai Kung

^ In a month my CEO and I are headed back to Sai Kung for 4-5 days of just hiking around the area. I'd suggest a google search for a Sai Kung map to get a clue as to what's to be seen. I'd say a repast at the live fish market ("I want *that* one, the big one, swimming there!") if you're into almost anything that swims, but lobster and shrimp otherwise. <drool>
Talking an hour's jitney ride from the harbor.
If you're interested I can have my Canadian and Brit friends, residents in Uk Tau Village, contact you and answer any further questions.
Regards,
dcutcher
Old Jul 17, 2007, 12:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There is also the Kau Sai Chau Public Golf Course in a nearby island which you can reach from Sai Kung by boat.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.