Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Hong Kong and Macau
Reload this Page >

Ngong Ping 360 car fell off cable, plunged 50 m to the ground!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ngong Ping 360 car fell off cable, plunged 50 m to the ground!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2007, 8:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
I have hiked around Hong Kong a lot when growing up there, and I've never seen a snake on well-used paths, like the one from Tung Chung to Ngong Ping.

That old path is not that serious a hike in cooler weather. [However, daily highs have been ~35C/95F recently.] What is a serious hike is the new path they built that literally runs UNDERNEATH the cable path, for construction/maintenance/rescue. I have not walked that one, but it's extremely strenuous.

To take the much easier old path, take a blue taxi to the Lo Hon Temple (or as far as the taxi can go). Elevation there is about 280ft. It's then about a 2mi walk (all paved, with steps at some points) up to the Ngong Ping plateau (~1,450ft). From there, maybe half-mile flat path to Po Lin Monastery.

Coming down, you may not get a taxi near the Lo Hon Temple, and will need to continue on the road back to Tung Chung Road (about half mile away), where you can get a bus or taxi. Or get the cellphone number of the taxi driver who took you there and call him when you're back at the Lo Hon Temple.

Or just take a taxi the whole way! Since you only said you don't like buses, not all vehicles.
Old Aug 4, 2007, 4:40 pm

Programs: Delta, United, USAir, Frontier, Southwest,
Huh. What kind of snakes are native to Hong Kong? That might be an interesting hike, unless, of course, the snakes are poisonous. I'm staying in the Tung Chung Cresent, so I am literally right next to the cable car station. I'm more than a little bit disappointed that the cable car won't be running while I am there.
Old Aug 4, 2007, 5:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I read the news from Hong Kong daily. I don't remember reading anything about hikers being bitten by a snake for ever. If people get bitten, it's because the snake was provoked. If you stay on the path, there's nothing to worry about.

Now, every year a few hikers lost their lives in Hong Kong, but always from falling.

Anyways, I'm reading that on weekends, the lines for the buses from Tung Chung to Ngong Ping (#23) can be long and chaotic.
Old Aug 5, 2007, 11:25 am

Programs: Delta, United, USAir, Frontier, Southwest,
I'm laying here in bed in my apartment looking at the bottom station of the Ngong Ping 360. It really is a shame they shut that thing down.
Old Aug 5, 2007, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wilheldp
I'm laying here in bed in my apartment looking at the bottom station of the Ngong Ping 360. It really is a shame they shut that thing down.
And it's very very fortunate that nobody was killed and injured with that accident.
Old Aug 5, 2007, 6:02 pm

rkkwan, I am always amazed by your knowledge of HK!!!! Thanks so much for your thoughtful and educational posts on this site. By the way, could we get togeather for a drink in Houston sometime when I am home?
Old Aug 5, 2007, 10:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rkkwan
[However, daily highs have been ~35C/95F recently.]
I had just returned from London on Saturday night and was smacked back into summer reality the moment I stepped out of the terminal towards the bus terminus at around 9:15pm. It was certainly a nice welcome back to prespiration after hardly pouring any sweat during the whole week I had spent in London. Thank goodness my GF was still in town during the whole week while I was away and had the air conditioning running full when I arrived home.

On the issues of snakes, I have also never encountered any nor have I been warned of such encounters while hiking on the island.
Old Aug 5, 2007, 11:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Rejuvenated
I had just returned from London on Saturday night and was smacked back into summer reality the moment I stepped out of the terminal towards the bus terminus at around 9:15pm. It was certainly a nice welcome back to prespiration after hardly pouring any sweat during the whole week I had spent in London.
I don't know if you remember the Kai Tak days, especially if one's flight didn't have a gate. I can still remember the humidity and the smell from the Kai Tak Nullah the second I stepped out of a plane down the stairs...
Old Aug 14, 2007, 3:20 pm

Programs: Bah, HUMBUG!
Originally Posted by rkkwan
I don't know if you remember the Kai Tak days, especially if one's flight didn't have a gate. I can still remember the humidity and the smell from the Kai Tak Nullah the second I stepped out of a plane down the stairs...
Every time I heard comment made of the smell, the response was always "That's the smell of money!"
Old Jan 25, 2010, 2:38 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Is the cable car up and running yet? I remember it was still out of action back in September 2009.
Old Jan 25, 2010, 6:25 pm

Programs: BA Gold, JGC Sapphire, OZ Diamond, AF Silver, CX GR, Marriott Lifetime SL
Yes, all is up and running. And now they have some "Crystal car" with transperant bottom.

Note: As always it is subject to last minute closeure due to weather.
Old Jan 25, 2010, 6:25 pm

Programs: CX Silver, QFF Bronze, Mabuhay Miles
Originally Posted by nonsoloinglese
Is the cable car up and running yet? I remember it was still out of action back in September 2009.
Just check out the official website. In Sept 09 it was probably just closed for routine maintenance.
http://www.np360.com.hk/html/eng/front/index.asp
Old Jan 26, 2010, 7:35 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Virgin Blue
I went on this in December so it is definately open...one tip - if you want to get the crystal car get it on the way down as the queues to leave were terrible but the crystal car line was empty.
Old Jan 26, 2010, 8:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Originally Posted by Primmy
if you want to get the crystal car
Wasn't worth the steep premium.

Best part of the cable car ride is the views of departing traffic from HKG.
Old Jan 28, 2010, 1:00 am

Programs: MPC
you can't see anything today. It's the worst smog day so far this year.

My throat hurt when I went outside.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.