Wiki Posts
Search

The Peak-- Restaurant With View--Recommendations/Comments Please

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2006, 8:27 am
Original Poster

The Peak-- Restaurant With View--Recommendations/Comments Please

Hi all---

Expect to be visiting Hong Kong again soon and was wondering if anyone can offer guidence on what was a couple of years ago a very nice restaurant with a wonderful view of beautiful Victoria Harbor through floor to celling windows. Is the facility still operating, is the food still tasty, etc.

Please advise your experiences and recommendations.

Thanks in advance.
Old Dec 29, 2006, 10:13 am
Suspended

Programs: None any more
Yes - Cafe Deco is its name - really the only decent restaurant at the peak with views over Victoria Harbour from your table.
http://www.cafedecogroup.com/cafed/v_deco.asp
Old Dec 29, 2006, 11:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Originally Posted by christep
Yes - Cafe Deco is its name - really the only decent restaurant at the peak with views over Victoria Harbour from your table.
Yea, it is the "best" restaurant in the Peak area, but it is only OK, nothing worthwhile. They view, though, is quite nice. However, with the reopening of the Peak Tram terminal building, there is now access to the roof of that building, and the view on a clear day is spectacular. Really changes the perspective, because it is a 360 degree view from a high point. I'd rather go there for free than have to pay to eat at Cafe Deco.
Old Jan 1, 2007, 3:20 am

Programs: BA
if it's just the harbor view you want, you could go over to the kowloon side, 2 resturants in particular, for lunch the panorama in Renaissance Kowloon Hotel in TST, and for dinner, 1 peking road, in TST.
tha panorama is very nice for lunch, semi-buffet, great view of the harbor.

1 peking road i forgot the name of the resturant, but theres only 1 there. wu tong or something along that line. ceiling to floor windows, and looks over to the hong kong island side view
Old Jan 1, 2007, 3:45 am
Suspended

Programs: None any more
Originally Posted by hakgwai
1 peking road i forgot the name of the resturant, but theres only 1 there. wu tong or something along that line. ceiling to floor windows, and looks over to the hong kong island side view
Well you're thinking of Hutong I believe, but it's not the only restaurant in the building. Aqua is also there. Both restaurants have been discussed in this forum recently - a search would find them.
Old Jan 1, 2007, 5:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by christep
Hi shristep:

Yes, I even remember the name after you mentioned. Thanks for the info and the internet site info.
Old Jan 1, 2007, 5:26 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Pickles
Yea, it is the "best" restaurant in the Peak area, but it is only OK, nothing worthwhile. They view, though, is quite nice. However, with the reopening of the Peak Tram terminal building, there is now access to the roof of that building, and the view on a clear day is spectacular. Really changes the perspective, because it is a 360 degree view from a high point. I'd rather go there for free than have to pay to eat at Cafe Deco.
This for your insight and recommendations Pickles.^ Perhaps I should just visit the Tram terminal building and eat somewhere else. The last time I was at the Peak (during early part of 2006) I was disappointed with the food but gosh, the view at night was still wonderful from a window table.
Old Jan 1, 2007, 5:45 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hakgwai
if it's just the harbor view you want, you could go over to the kowloon side, 2 resturants in particular, for lunch the panorama in Renaissance Kowloon Hotel in TST, and for dinner, 1 peking road, in TST.
tha panorama is very nice for lunch, semi-buffet, great view of the harbor.

Wow, hakgwai, thanks for the suggestions. I will take your suggestion and try the Renaissance Kowloon Hotel when I am in Hong Kong next (Feb or March, I hope).

Much appreciated. ^
Old Jan 1, 2007, 6:58 pm

If you are a frequent traveler to Hong Kong and looking for something new, I would recommend Nobu Hong Kong at Intercontinental hotel, which opened on December 23, 2006. The view is awsome (similar to that of SPOON located in the same hotel). Their food leaves something to be desired, however. I suggest you order some a la carte in order to avoid overcharges.
Old Jan 1, 2007, 8:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Korean Guy
If you are a frequent traveler to Hong Kong and looking for something new, I would recommend Nobu Hong Kong at Intercontinental hotel, which opened on December 23, 2006. The view is awsome (similar to that of SPOON located in the same hotel). Their food leaves something to be desired, however. I suggest you order some a la carte in order to avoid overcharges.
If I remember correctly, the IC Hotel is adjacent to the Shangri-la Kowloon property, right? Thanks for your recommendation. I have not visited the IC in a number of months and have never eaten there.

I assume the new restaurant has a nice view of Victoria Harbor, correct?

Thanks again for your post.^
Old Jan 2, 2007, 10:21 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Delta Skymiles Platinum
Originally Posted by 747LWW
If I remember correctly, the IC Hotel is adjacent to the Shangri-la Kowloon property, right? Thanks for your recommendation. I have not visited the IC in a number of months and have never eaten there.

I assume the new restaurant has a nice view of Victoria Harbor, correct?

Thanks again for your post.^
Intercontinental is not adjacent to Kowloon Shangri-la, but it is close (about a 5 -8 minute walk).

I ate at the Cafe Deco at the Peak on my last trip to HK in early November. I found the atmosphere and decor to be pleasant, and the international menu to be good. Everyone should go to the Peak on their first trip to HK. So if you are taking the time to go there, eating there is not a bad choice. Of course, you should ask for a table at the windows to enjoy the view.

Last edited by MW147; Jan 2, 2007 at 10:30 am
Old Jan 4, 2007, 9:52 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MW147
Intercontinental is not adjacent to Kowloon Shangri-la, but it is close (about a 5 -8 minute walk).

I ate at the Cafe Deco at the Peak on my last trip to HK in early November. I found the atmosphere and decor to be pleasant, and the international menu to be good. Everyone should go to the Peak on their first trip to HK. So if you are taking the time to go there, eating there is not a bad choice. Of course, you should ask for a table at the windows to enjoy the view.
Hi MW147:

Yes, this is my recollection of the location as my use of the word adjacent meant close by and not contiguous.

Thanks again for your report on the Cafe Deco. When I visited the restaurant in 2006 but before your Nov. visit, I was disappointed in the quality of the food rather than any issue with the menu. Basis your experience, I guess I must have been unluck and was at the restaurant on a night when the chef was having a bad day.

Thanks again for your reply. ^
Old Jan 6, 2007, 4:12 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Delta Skymiles Platinum
Originally Posted by 747LWW
Hi MW147:

Yes, this is my recollection of the location as my use of the word adjacent meant close by and not contiguous.

Thanks again for your report on the Cafe Deco. When I visited the restaurant in 2006 but before your Nov. visit, I was disappointed in the quality of the food rather than any issue with the menu. Basis your experience, I guess I must have been unluck and was at the restaurant on a night when the chef was having a bad day.

Thanks again for your reply. ^

Don't get me wrong - no one goes to Cafe Deco just for the food. I thought it was good, but certainly not great. There is MUCH better in Hong Kong (probably the best eating city the world). But it is more than passable, and if you are looking for a view, it has a great one.

Regards
Old Jan 8, 2007, 6:57 am

May I also recommend the Peak Lookout? The food there is definitely better than Cafe Deco, but the view is not as great. They also have an outdoor terrace, in case you like dining outside.
Old Jan 8, 2007, 7:08 am

Oh and just to add...

You gotta be careful ordering at Nobu. Somehow my US colleagues and I managed to rake up a bill of around HKD11,000 for six people. We really were grateful for our expense accounts. The food was good for the most part, but not as good as the Nobu in NYC.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.