FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hong Kong and Macau (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hong-kong-macau-436/)
-   -   Hong Kong for a woman alone? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hong-kong-macau/384530-hong-kong-woman-alone.html)

climbermom Dec 29, 2004 2:41 pm

Hong Kong for a woman alone?

I have the opportunity to go to HKG 1/11 - 1/16 with my husband. However, he'll be at business meetings and dinners, so I'm pretty much on my own, day and night. But it's a free flight and hotel, so I'd like to go...

Is it safe for a woman to be there alone? Would I be able to find a tour or group to see the local sights, and maybe get over into China for the day? Is the shopping really that great?

Any help would be appreciated.

wideman Dec 29, 2004 3:19 pm

Hong Kong is one of the safest cities in the world. If you'd be comfortable on your own in Chicago or San Francisco or Paris, you'll be fine in Hong Kong. You might want to avoid walking on Nathan Road in Kowloon between the Sheraton and Kowloon Park -- it's not dangerous, but there are some pushy touts trying to sell watches and suits who make some people feel uncomfortable.

I'd recommend any of the hotels in Pacific Place (the Island Shangri-La, the Conrad, or the Marriott), because you would have direct access to an upscale shopping mall and to the subway system.

If you feel adventurous, you could indeed go to Shenzhen China for the day. Travel time is about 30-40 minutes each way, and it takes another half-hour or so to go through the immigration/customs dance. The shopping there can be fantastic. You would need to get a visa before you go, and I'd strongly recommend buying the Shop in Shenzhen book by Ellen McNally.

Rejuvenated Dec 29, 2004 5:42 pm

Originally Posted by climbermom
Is it safe for a woman to be there alone? Would I be able to find a tour or group to see the local sights, and maybe get over into China for the day? Is the shopping really that great.

HK is among the safest place on earth. However as a precaution no matter where you go, always be alert for pickpockets especially in crowded tourist area. Other than that, you should not run into any trouble walking around by yourself. HK is a shopping & dining mecca as you can virtually eat and find almost everything here. If this will be your first time coming, you'll be surprised at the number of shops & restaurants you'll encounter per block.

I must warn you that if you cross the border into Shenzhen, the environment is not as comfortable & safe as HK. Pickpockets, theft, and violence are much worse and I would not recommend you go there ALONE. Try joining some Mainland tours from local travel agencies in HK....there are plenty of them.

obscure2k Dec 29, 2004 6:32 pm

I have travelled to HKG alone and enjoyed it (first of all, my spouse was not tapping his foot, impatiently, as I was shopping). I enjoyed eating dim sum in one of those large dim sum restaurants. Enjoyed bringing a favorite silk blouse to be copied. I have to say that I did not venture too far my hotel at night, but contrary to another poster's opinion, I felt quite safe on Nathan Road as it was so busy. Yes, the guys yelling "do you want a copy watch" can be a bit annoying but I just focused my eyes straight ahead & kept walking. Hong Kong is a wonderful city and a great walking city, as well. Enjoy and just take whatever precautions you would take in San Francisco or other bustling U.S. city.

number_6 Dec 30, 2004 10:58 am

HKG has some of the best shopping in the world, with lots of brand names having stores selling genuine articles cheaply. For example Esprit has a clearance outlet that sells at 10-20% of the US price; sure it is overstock items, but Esprit quality and label and surprisingly good selection (changes daily). Dr. Maartens sells shoes --made in England -- for 25% of the US price; again maybe overstocks but they looked identical to current styles. While counterfeit items are prevalent in Hong Kong (and sometimes of astonishingly good quality, I've seen fake Coach that was better made than real Coach), it is also possible to shop for genuine items at a good price. But not cameras or most electronic items, those are not bargains there (except maybe for antique ones). Similarly for liquor (there is nothing worse than counterfeit cognac).

tzwlh Dec 31, 2004 1:52 am

Touring Hong Kong's Border Cities in Mainland China

hi! you may wish to take a look at this..

http://discoverhongkong.com/eng/tour...na/index.jhtml

77W_12A Dec 31, 2004 10:15 am

Originally Posted by climbermom
I have the opportunity to go to HKG 1/11 - 1/16 with my husband. However, he'll be at business meetings and dinners, so I'm pretty much on my own, day and night. But it's a free flight and hotel, so I'd like to go...

Is it safe for a woman to be there alone? Would I be able to find a tour or group to see the local sights, and maybe get over into China for the day? Is the shopping really that great?

Any help would be appreciated.

If you like to shop, YOU'LL LOVE HKG!!! It's some of the best shopping in the world. If you like designer clothing, you'll find any brand that's out there. One of the places I'd check out is Pacific Place over on HK Island. I believe it's the biggest mall in HKG. You'll find all the international brands....some you won't even find in the States, but would at Harvey Nicks (which they are building a branch in Hong Kong). Also, check out Times Square at Causeway Bay.
You like to shop for jewelry? There is a saying in HKG that you'll find more jewlery stores in HKG than dim sum restaurants. On a recent trip, I bought a watch (well known Swiss watch), and it was 30% less than what I would of paid for the same watch in the States.
Mong Kok, you'll find open air shops and definitely more of a HKG flavor. It's a very safe city. Must take the Star Ferry from Tsim Sha Tsui to Wanchi/Central. It's cost HKD 2.35!! What a bargain. Just practice common sense. Hope you enjoy!!!

christep Jan 1, 2005 12:02 am

Originally Posted by gemini573
Must take the Star Ferry from Tsim Sha Tsui to Wanchi/Central. It's cost HKD 2.35!! What a bargain.

HK$2.20 on the upper deck and HK$1.70 on the lower deck actually.

JNelson113 Jan 2, 2005 11:54 am

I have visited HKG alone twice now with absolutely no issues. It is very safe with police visible. I have found the local men to be respectful of women and have felt very comfortable walking about.

Cathay Pacific Jan 3, 2005 8:03 am

Perhaps you can also spend a day exploring one of the out-laying islands such as Cheung Chau, Lantau (Tai-O) or Lamma.