Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Hong Kong and Macau
Reload this Page >

Hong Kong Tailor?

Hong Kong Tailor?

Old Sep 1, 2014, 11:28 pm

Originally Posted by agp423
Thanks 6, would you know if Danny's will replicate a suit for me if I bring one to the shop? Or do they have certain rules like lapels can't be skinner/wider than X inches, etc.
Not particularly experienced with Danny's but I'm sure the whole idea of 'bespoke' is that you should be able to get everything done to your liking.

I ask for all sort of stuff, such as a 3-roll-2 styling, surgeon's cuffs, a pen pocket and a special pocket inside the jacket to fit a Rhodia diary that I always carry with me.

Mind you, this is at WW Chans or Gordon Yaos who already charge a fair bit so they don't charge any extra for those features but if you go to a cheaper place, I'm thinking it may cost a bit extra if you start asking for heaps of stuff.

But general styling, lapel sizes etc should completely be up to you.
Old Sep 2, 2014, 3:20 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
The better tailors can exactly match any garment you bring to them. Most of the work is done in Shenzen (across the border) so it takes a day or 2; on-premise is final tailoring plus the initial measuring which are the higher skill parts. I've had Danny's replicate an Armani 19th century style opera shirt (silk with white tail collar and no buttons) which they did perfectly, even matching the fabrics correctly -- everything but the label Hong Kong is particularly good at this kind of service, plus the fabric selection and prices are great (better than you will get in Milan for Zegna fabrics, for example).

I was initially skeptical about Hong Kong tailors, but have found them to be great. Almost up to London Saville Row standards at the top end, for a fraction of the price and done in days rather than months.
Old Sep 8, 2014, 10:56 pm

I ordered a suit & shirt from napoli tailors of hong kong because a good friend raved about his suit made by them. They got it spot on - nice fabric and of course great fit on me. I thought they'll end up botching my preferred slim/straight leg trousers but it was spot on.
Old Sep 9, 2014, 12:15 am

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
I ended up going to William Cheng & Son for my suit. I did not try Sam's Tailor.

I made an appointment when they opened on Wednesday (10:00a), came back same day at 4:00p for my first fit check. Then I returned for a fitment at 12:00 noon on Saturday and picked up the final product at 6:00p. So a 4 day window was enough to get the job done.

I was pleased with the experience. WC & Son were very professional, and definitely didn't give me a sales pitch. They were low pressure and had a lot of fabric samples and example suits on the rack to show me the options. If I had a complaint it would be that they didn't always offer me options that I had to ask about (like higher quality fabrics, pocket options, etc). But I also am not too familiar with the process so if you know what you want, I'm sure they would be fantastic. If you don't, they will more likely to revert to some standard rather than go through every option. Not necessarily a bad thing, just an observation.

They seem to specialize in shirts, but had lots of suits going out the door while I was there. The suit pricing seems quite good. I got a 2-button suit with Italian wool (Vitale Barbaris Canonico) for 4200 HKD, plus 300 HKD for a premium liner material. They had cheaper options for 3200 HKD and highest-end Italian wool (Zenga) was 7200 HKD. I also bought one shirt in standard fabric for 350 HKD and two premium fabric shirts for 450 HKD each.

I am a newbie to tailoring, but I would recommend WC and Son. 4 days is definitely a tight turnaround and after I got the suit home I have some ideas of what I would do differently next time. But overall, a great experience and a good value. Hope this review helps others.

Last edited by CPMaverick; Sep 15, 2014 at 9:32 am
Old Sep 9, 2014, 4:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wonder how much they charge for a second pair of pants for the 500USD suit.
Old Sep 16, 2014, 9:03 am

Programs: HH D,CC,SPG,AZ: Gold;BA Silver, TK Elite
Hi guys,

Talking about tailors, where would be the best place to get some custom-made Ascot ties? I have a few to buy for my wedding
Old Oct 7, 2014, 9:00 pm

Programs: UA GS, Marriott Titanium
Has anyone used or checked out A Timeless Tailor?

I'm going to Hong Kong in December and have a group of 10 who might be interested in getting suits made. Looking for a great mid tier option. Around $1000-$1500 for a suit and shirts etc.

Can I reasonably expect that suits will be fully canvassed in this price range? Any other tailor suggestions? Sam's seems alright, but very mixed reviews. Any help is appreciated.
Old Oct 8, 2014, 1:55 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond
Going through this forum there seems to be a lot of discussion about suits but not too much about dress shirts. I wear a suit maybe once a month for my job but need dress shirts every day. I was wondering if anyone had experience getting dress shirts made. I am going to be in HK for a week so I imagine that should be plenty of time to get a few shirts made (it seems significantly less complicated than a suit). Due to CPMaverick's post from a month ago I am going to check out William Cheng & Son but wondering if people had any other advice on places or what the price should be for an order of 5-10 dress shirts.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 2:18 am

Originally Posted by lagunas2k
Has anyone used or checked out A Timeless Tailor?

I'm going to Hong Kong in December and have a group of 10 who might be interested in getting suits made. Looking for a great mid tier option. Around $1000-$1500 for a suit and shirts etc.

Can I reasonably expect that suits will be fully canvassed in this price range? Any other tailor suggestions? Sam's seems alright, but very mixed reviews. Any help is appreciated.
Yes, used them a few times but only because I got cheap Groupon deals with them. Otherwise I would not normally use them.

For the price I paid, I got decent suits and shirts from them though.

Your price of $1000 - 1500 what currency are you talking about? If its HKD, forget it.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 3:11 am

Programs: VA Silver, QF FF, Priority Club
I've been using William Cheng for almost 6 years now.

Only 1 issue in that time when they accidentally sewed the wrong name into one of my jackets. I picked it up and they dropped everything to fix it up. Took about 20 mins but credit where credit is due, they rectified the issue immediately.

Other than that, no complaints. Very good quality.

Their shirts are also excellent. I suppose they are busy so don't need to do the massive sales pitch. People who make the trip to their premises are probably set on getting something anyway.

I like it they fly to Australia a couple of times a year. If I need to top up, I have that option too.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 2:58 pm

Programs: UA GS, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by theworld
Yes, used them a few times but only because I got cheap Groupon deals with them. Otherwise I would not normally use them.

For the price I paid, I got decent suits and shirts from them though.

Your price of $1000 - 1500 what currency are you talking about? If its HKD, forget it.
Currency is USD.
Old Nov 15, 2014, 8:19 pm

Programs: AC-E50K / WS-P / Hyatt-G
Any opinions on Simpson Sin?

Arriving into HK on Tuesday night, hoping to get suits for me and my dad done. We were planning on going to Simpson Sin, how are they regarded in the pantheon of HK tailors?

Thanks for your input!
Old Feb 24, 2015, 11:38 am

I went to Sam's Tailor during my trip to Hong Kong and would NOT recommend them. I was initially drawn to the reviews here but what a mistake. The quality and service was terrible and the suit was so bad that I decided not to bring it back home with me. Certainly a waste of time and money. I think places like Sam's are catered to tourists and not focused on selling a well fitted suit.
Old Feb 26, 2015, 2:29 am

Wow sorry to hear that traderhen. That would suck.

I don't get the fame with Sam's though really. It's undoubtedly due to the celebs getting suits from them but their jackets are fused and even sharing resources with WW Chan isn't going to fix that issue.

For a top end suit, there's really only 3 options in HKG:

WW Chan, Gordon Yao, Y William Yu

There might be others that provide a decent experience but the above three seem to be the most consistent.

You definitely do have to pay for quality however, as I recently ordered a 2 piece from Yao for just over $16000 HKD. In hindsight, this is still dirt cheap for a properly bespoken suit (getting something from Cesare Attolini would cost 4x that).

I've not actually picked up the ordered suit yet as for now, all we did was I had him ship over some fabrics to Australia so I can sample them first. Planning to head into HKG soon for the first fitting (they already have my measurements as I'm a regular) then will head in again to HKG around 2 weeks after the first fitting to do a final fitting. The suit will then get shipped to me a week or two after that.

This is probably another trick that a lot of people miss. Those that order suits on a stopover holiday is really keen to have their suits completed within X days but you really need to allow enough time between fittings and have as many fittings as you need, which means the process will need some time.

Even for a top tailor, I've had issues like the sleeves coming out 0.5cm too long (so it wouldn't show the shirt cuffs and looked horrible) because I thought them having my measurements from my previous order would be enough, getting complacent and skipping the fittings.
Old Feb 26, 2015, 3:00 am

Originally Posted by mitwg

This is probably another trick that a lot of people miss. Those that order suits on a stopover holiday is really keen to have their suits completed within X days but you really need to allow enough time between fittings and have as many fittings as you need, which means the process will need some time.

Even for a top tailor, I've had issues like the sleeves coming out 0.5cm too long (so it wouldn't show the shirt cuffs and looked horrible) because I thought them having my measurements from my previous order would be enough, getting complacent and skipping the fittings.
I said this upthread. I'd avoid any tailor that can turn around a suit over a long weekend. You need at least 3 visits spread across a week or two to get it right. That applies to Savile Row as equally as it does to HK.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.