Hong Kong Tailor?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hong Kong Tailor?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2013, 7:29 pm

You have to get out there and really look for one

I've been looking for a decent tailor during my last two visits as well. The information online on HK tailors is just overwhelming, and you've got dozens of tailors in this city. You really have to search online first, then go out there and find one with a good balance in quality and price. It took me one full day of my visit and I checked out a list of them, I did go with one and my suits turned out really good. Handstitching on lapels as requested, functional sleeves, and a soft silk lining with natural shoulder pads just like the geves and hawkes photo I showed them. I requested a slim, but business appropriate fit, a "power suit" as the tailor put it. I asked for the trousers to have a natural tapering (slightly narrower on bottom of leg but still with drape) and they nailed it. Service was personal and friendly, there were a dozen returning clients present as well. I tried to haggle but it didnt work. I was planning to haggle again before picking up but the outcome of the suits and shirts was excellent, so I didn't bother. I paid around 1200 US for a couple suits, ties and a few shirts, so it wasn't that bad.^
Old Oct 18, 2013, 7:47 pm

Where did you end up going?

I ended up at Lee Baron, not one of the very high end shops but one of the better middle of the road tailors and I am very satisfied with the final product and price!
Old Oct 19, 2013, 11:03 pm

I think I checked out lee baron as well, is he on Mody Road across a 7-11? Has a huge billboard sign or something?
I settled with Empire International Tailors in East TST, was overall a good experience.
Old Jan 6, 2014, 4:40 pm

Programs: Aeroplan 50K, Marriott Plat, Amex Plat
Hong Kong/Macau/Guangdou?

Greetings all,

I plan on being in country for about a week, with most of the days being in Macau.

I would like to get a few suits made whilst there.

I have been using Maxwells Clothiers for years (when they would come to Canada on tour), but I have found their last couple of suits not as good quality. Their shirts are fine.

It would be much easier for me to arrange multiple fittings, etc in Macau rather than HK.

Are there mid-high range tailors in Macau, or am I better off choosing someone in HK and simply going back on a day trip for a fitting and picking them up at the end of the week?

Last question: I would expect a day trip (at least) to Guangdong. Is it logistically feasible to get a suit(s) made there and go back for fittings? What about shirts only (no fittings needed) and have them shipped to me in Macau?

Thanks in advance.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 6:05 pm

Programs: Aeroplan 50K, Marriott Plat, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Vancouver Guy
Greetings all,

I plan on being in country for about a week, with most of the days being in Macau.

I would like to get a few suits made whilst there.

I have been using Maxwells Clothiers for years (when they would come to Canada on tour), but I have found their last couple of suits not as good quality. Their shirts are fine.

It would be much easier for me to arrange multiple fittings, etc in Macau rather than HK.

Are there mid-high range tailors in Macau, or am I better off choosing someone in HK and simply going back on a day trip for a fitting and picking them up at the end of the week?

Last question: I would expect a day trip (at least) to Guangdong. Is it logistically feasible to get a suit(s) made there and go back for fittings? What about shirts only (no fittings needed) and have them shipped to me in Macau?

Thanks in advance.
Bump.

Nobody has any recommendations?
Old Feb 27, 2014, 2:53 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Probably nobody here has gone from HKG to Macau to find a tailor I certainly have not. That said, being an ex-Portugese colony means there will be a long tailoring tradition (snappy dressers in colonial days). There are many tailors in Macau who can custom make clothing or copy an item of clothing you already have at a fairly reasonable cost. Most tailors can be found in the Three Lamps district near the Rotunda de Carlos da Maia (so I've been told).
Old May 7, 2014, 11:09 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club
I will be in HK at the end of May and I am looking to get a couple of suits made.

I have heard about Sam's Tailors and have arranged an appointment but have heard mixed reviews and that they tend not not to like you if you are not a rich celebrity.

Am I making the right choice or do I need to look for somewhere else?
Old May 7, 2014, 11:15 pm

Programs: AA 3MMF EXP, UA 1MMF
Originally Posted by visualAd
I will be in HK at the end of May and I am looking to get a couple of suits made.

I have heard about Sam's Tailors and have arranged an appointment but have heard mixed reviews and that they tend not not to like you if you are not a rich celebrity.

Am I making the right choice or do I need to look for somewhere else?
Do yourself a tremendous favor and find another tailor! Don't walk, RUN away from Sam's!

After 4 "fittings" I gave up and threw my suit in the garbage soon thereafter. The shirts stunk from cigarette smoke, and "Sam" (not his real name) is an ....

There are SO many wonderful tailors in Hong Kong, please don't fall for his marketing as the "tailor to the stars" and go to a legit tailor who will make sure you have good quality clothes that fit. Tai Pai Tailor in Admiralty and Jantzen Tailor in Central are both good tailors at reasonable prices.
Old May 7, 2014, 11:40 pm

Thanks for the reply lance1713, I suspected that that might be the case.

Thanks for the tips, I found a San Pan Tailor in Admiralty but not a San Pai. Is it best to make an appointment or just turn up?
Old May 8, 2014, 7:36 am

FYI, just received an email from Gordon Yao who is currently doing a US tour during June 2014. They have a itinerary on their website I think for the US tour for people interested.

Price range is definitely upper end for a HKG tailor (US $1300 for a basic canvassed 2 piece with VBC, $1800 for a Loro Piana and up) but as a skinny guy, found the styling better than WW Chans.

I used to be an avid fan of Tom Ford suits (Basic Base B model) due to the way the jacket fantastically wraps around your waist while keeping the wide shoulders but after getting a few made by Gordon, I'm not looking back to any TFs anymore.
Old May 8, 2014, 8:19 am

Programs: AA 3MMF EXP, UA 1MMF
Thanks for the reply lance1713, I suspected that that might be the case.

Thanks for the tips, I found a San Pan Tailor in Admiralty but not a San Pai. Is it best to make an appointment or just turn up?
Oops, my mistake (it was late). It's TAI PAN TAILOR in Admiralty.
SHOP 71, 1/F Tower I, Admiralty Centre, Admiralty, Hong Kong
+852 2529 8861

Michael owns the shop. Very good taste and nice guy.

Sam's is definitely a tourist trap, and with so many great tailors in HK, it's a shame so many people fall for it (like I did). Good luck
Old May 10, 2014, 7:06 am

Originally Posted by mitwg
FYI, just received an email from Gordon Yao who is currently doing a US tour during June 2014. They have a itinerary on their website I think for the US tour for people interested.

Price range is definitely upper end for a HKG tailor (US $1300 for a basic canvassed 2 piece with VBC, $1800 for a Loro Piana and up) but as a skinny guy, found the styling better than WW Chans.

I used to be an avid fan of Tom Ford suits (Basic Base B model) due to the way the jacket fantastically wraps around your waist while keeping the wide shoulders but after getting a few made by Gordon, I'm not looking back to any TFs anymore.

Thanks mitwg for the info about prices. I was probably looking for something in the $600-800 range and that is a better fit than off the shelf suits.

I am not sure I can justify spending more than $1000 on a single suit so maybe HK is the wrong place.
Old May 10, 2014, 9:09 pm

visualAd - there are plenty of decent tailors who will hit that price range - most of them are referenced somewhere up thread. Personally I use Edward Tam at eItalian - usually runs at HKD5,000 (USD645) for a VBC cloth, with two pairs of trousers. Zegna cloth is (naturally) a bit more pricey at HKD7,000 (USD900).
Old May 12, 2014, 7:09 am

Thanks mitwg for the info about prices. I was probably looking for something in the $600-800 range and that is a better fit than off the shelf suits.

I am not sure I can justify spending more than $1000 on a single suit so maybe HK is the wrong place.
Yeah as Shuttle-Bored pointed out above, HKG is a place where you can definitely get still very good quality suits for less than the numbers I quoted.

I think Lee Baron comes in highly recommended around that $700 mark and the suit is fully canvassed, which is something I deem essential to a high quality suit that will last me at least a few years. If you aren't into the floating canvas thing, then I think it can be even cheaper than this at a lot of other decent places.

Fit wise, because they're all made to measure so unless you go to someone absolutely horrible, most would look better than an unaltered off-the-rack suit.
Old May 12, 2014, 11:09 am

Thanks mitwg, that is good to know. I don't know much about suits so think I might need to do a bit of research, reading this thread the advise seems to be Zenga material is best but not sure what you mean by canvassed?

I a looking forward to a better fitting suit, especially the trousers as a medical appliance I wear on my stomach means I normally have to buy a larger pair and use a belt which makes them quite baggy around the rear.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.