Hong Kong Tailor?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hong Kong Tailor?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2011, 6:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Originally Posted by Jamoldo
I think its the last one that's the key. Consistency. I've read a number of reports here on FT and elsewhere of a great experience in Shanghai only for the next time to be a dissapointment. To be honest, having never had a suit made in SH, I am in no position to compare myself! Perhaps those with more experience can chime in?
The problem is that picking a tailor is like picking a barber. Once you've found something that works, you don't want to hear about the alternatives.
Old May 25, 2011, 8:34 pm

Programs: GGL, BA lifetime Gold, Many Hotel Sparkles
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by sxpsxpsxp
I had Harry make me 2 suites and 3 shirts. He's the designer, and he has a local make the suits and someone else make the shirts. Reasonable prices, good service and almost no sales pressure. I think the shirts and suits came out very well. My better half will be the final judge of that when I get home, though.

http://www.mohinifashions.com/
I have just collected my 2nd new suit and a new dinner jacket from Harry, very happy with the suit I picked up a year ago so returning again was easy. Nice to see the same tailor appear as well.
Old Jun 5, 2011, 6:19 pm
Original Member

Womens alterations

I have lost some weight and need my Indian made suits altered. Since I won't be in India anytime soon but will be in hkg and Saigon...can anyone recommend a good tailor for alterations and be accustomed to women's bodies?
Old Jun 13, 2011, 2:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA PLT, SPG PLT
Can anyone recommend a tailor for getting shirts made, from a copy (I have a shirt that I want the exact copy/measurements/style/etc)?

I've had shirts made from this style (Hugo Boss shirt) from Seoul, Singapore, Beijing and Bangkok and need a few more (some are falling apart from repeated wear).

I'll be heading to Hong Kong a couple of times in the next month or so, but never having a suit or shirts made there, I don't have experience at any place at all.

I'm just basically looking for quality and speed, but the cost is also a bit important (I don't need it to cost as much as the original HB shirt would cost anyway!).

Thanks in advance - if anyone is curious where I've got other shirts/suits made in the other places (if it helps recommendations), let me know!

Also, around how much should I expect each shirt to cost (I know, material matters)...

-jeremy
Old Jun 21, 2011, 6:07 pm

Programs: CX DM, SQ, BA, TG, Sheba, VN, MPO since 1980
Have not read the whole thread
Many tailor shops in HK and Bangkok use the same system - they hold their own stocks of material that you choose from or BYO , the shop staff take your measurements and then use a central tailoring pool they have set prices with. When you go back for your fitting the tailor from the tailoring pool doing your order comes to the shop and takes the fitting. If you are a star or president Sam Melwani from Burlington Arcade on Nathan Rd will come to your suite or you can go to the tiny shop and have a beer, and another. Many people went there for a shirt and went away with three suits also.
Old Jul 6, 2011, 10:19 am

Whoever recommended Pacific Custom Tailors, can you please explain what is so great about the place?

I went in, talked with the first guy there, and saw a sticker on the fabric cubbies that said shirts: HK$550. I asked the guy how much a shirt would be to make, and if they could do it in two days (from a copy) and he pointed to the price.

I laughed and walked out.

I should have known it wouldn't be cheap at the Pacific Place mall, but US$70 for a single shirt? Forget it, you can do cheaper in Singapore, Europe or the US.

-jeremy
Old Jul 6, 2011, 1:52 pm

Programs: LH, AB, SPG, CC, Sixt, EC
Prices for good quality shirts are between 250 and 300 HKD if you look for the right places....
Old Jul 6, 2011, 10:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Originally Posted by kmfdm91
I should have known it wouldn't be cheap at the Pacific Place mall, but US$70 for a single shirt? Forget it, you can do cheaper in Singapore, Europe or the US.
Aah, but can they do it better? I'd gladly pay 70 USD for a tailored shirt that fits me perfectly, is well made, and can take a beating in the wash numerous time. I'd even pay more than that, and have.
Old Jul 8, 2011, 10:41 am

Originally Posted by Pickles
Aah, but can they do it better? I'd gladly pay 70 USD for a tailored shirt that fits me perfectly, is well made, and can take a beating in the wash numerous time. I'd even pay more than that, and have.
Wow...

I've paid US$12 (cheapest) for shirts at Lisa's in Beijing, ~US$25 for shirts at Raja's in Bankgkok, ~US$25 at Washington Shirts in Seoul and ~US$40 at some place in Singapore and all things considered, I'd easily go back to Lisa's or Washington for shirts...US$70 I would never pay, and would pick up my favourite styled Hugo Boss shirt at any US Department store for nearly US$70...and yes, all of my shirts are washed by myself and all but the very first ones (5 years now) I got made at Washington are absolutely perfect, and naturally, the ones from Singapore are by far the worst and they couldn't even make a copy accurate.

I guess I'm going to stay out of HK Tailor shops unless I hear about the right ones (that supermasterphil mentions)...

-jeremy
Old Jul 8, 2011, 11:41 am

Programs: UA 1K - 2mm, AA Platinum- 2mm, Starwood Lifetime Platinum (Ambassador)
Originally Posted by Nonon
I recently went back to Hong Kong for a wedding banquet and my luggage with suit in it was lost. Thankfully, I got lucky and found a tailor in Central. They got me a great fitting suit in time for the wedding and I didn't have to spend a fortune.

Quick plug: Ying Tai Ltd. 9 Queen’s Rd., Central
I've used Ying Tai for over 15 year and have always been very happy with their service and look forward to the twice yearly visits to San Francisco when I can't make it to Hong Kong myself.
Old Jul 11, 2011, 5:20 pm

I'm sure it's been mentioned here already, but I always stop by Jantzen Tailors when I go to HK for decent quality MTM shirts and suits at reasonable prices. I always specify that my suits be fully canvassed, which they are happy to do at no additional cost. My guess is their default is fused; customers who don't ask probably don't know better.

My staple suits come from W.W.Chan. Top quality workmanship and selection of wools with prices to match.
Old Jul 11, 2011, 5:38 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum (3MM), QF Lifetime Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Ex-Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by Coolers
I'm sure it's been mentioned here already, but I always stop by Jantzen Tailors when I go to HK for decent quality MTM shirts and suits at reasonable prices. I always specify that my suits be fully canvassed, which they are happy to do at no additional cost. My guess is their default is fused; customers who don't ask probably don't know better.

My staple suits come from W.W.Chan. Top quality workmanship and selection of wools with prices to match.
WW Chan is my favorite and certainly one of the few top tailors in HK and Shanghai. Yes, their prices are higher than the factory front shops that constitute the majority of HK "tailor" outlets, but I have learned the hard way that in this case you definitely get what you pay for.
Old Jul 16, 2011, 2:06 pm

Never go to Sam's tailor - bad quality for the price

Even though you get great reviews from celebrities/newspaper etc, 'normal people' are offered sub-quality suits.
Old Jul 24, 2011, 3:16 am

A-Man Hing Cheong

Visited A-Man Hing Cheong. Went in expecting to pay $800 and up for a men's suit, but it was much more expensive than that. Looked at swatches of super 120 summer weights, and the starting prices were HK$10,000 for a suit. An extra pair of trousers could be had for 1/3 of the full suit price (pretty standard in HK from what I can tell).

Asked the concierges at the Mandarin Oriental and the Four Seasons for other recommendations in Central - both had Lord's Tailor (on Pedder Street) on their lists of recommended tailors. Did an Internet search and didn't see any bad reviews of Lord's Tailor. In fact, saw that it made many of the top lists, including Esquire magazine, Asia Business Traveller magazine, one of the major expat sites, etc. Their super 120 summer weights start at HK$4,500. The fabrics at HK$4,500 were quite nice. The next price point up is HK$6,000. Am getting one at HK$4,500 and one at HK$6,000. Will follow up with a post on how they turned out. Asked if they offered a discount for paying with cash instead of credit card, but they said no. Brought a Brooks Brothers suit to get altered smaller and they quoted HK$1,000.
Old Jul 24, 2011, 4:31 am

Programs: LH, AB, SPG, CC, Sixt, EC
Originally Posted by jmc123
Visited A-Man Hing Cheong. Went in expecting to pay $800 and up for a men's suit, but it was much more expensive than that. Looked at swatches of super 120 summer weights, and the starting prices were HK$10,000 for a suit. An extra pair of trousers could be had for 1/3 of the full suit price (pretty standard in HK from what I can tell).

Asked the concierges at the Mandarin Oriental and the Four Seasons for other recommendations in Central - both had Lord's Tailor (on Pedder Street) on their lists of recommended tailors. Did an Internet search and didn't see any bad reviews of Lord's Tailor. In fact, saw that it made many of the top lists, including Esquire magazine, Asia Business Traveller magazine, one of the major expat sites, etc. Their super 120 summer weights start at HK$4,500. The fabrics at HK$4,500 were quite nice. The next price point up is HK$6,000. Am getting one at HK$4,500 and one at HK$6,000. Will follow up with a post on how they turned out. Asked if they offered a discount for paying with cash instead of credit card, but they said no. Brought a Brooks Brothers suit to get altered smaller and they quoted HK$1,000.
Gee, what a bargain

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.