Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Hong Kong and Macau
Reload this Page >

Tailored suites from Hong Kong

Old Jun 23, 02, 5:57 pm
Original Poster

As I heared from various sources hong kong used to be the place to get a tailored suite - is this still the case ?
If yes - where do i get them - in which area of Hong Kong are the tailors - what do i have to expext to pay ?
As I will be in Hong Kong in September I thought I could take the chance to have my self a suite tailord. Has anybody from the bord done that ? and what are your experinces with it ?
What i would also need to know:
how long does it take ?
what does it cost ?
what is the suites quality ?

thanks in advance and fg
Max

PS: By the way - who could suggest a nice bar in Hong Kong for the evenings ? and what is the legal age to dring alkohol ? 21 or 18 ? thanks
Old Jun 24, 02, 1:15 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
I think the drinking age in HKG is 80 dollars. I never saw id requested, and HKG is very materialistic. Lots of great bars but I can only help you with the expensive ones. A "must see" is Felix at the top of the Peninsula hotel, great bar and decor. Be sure to sit at the glass table facing the right way. The restaurant part is expensive but the bar is actually a bargain for what you get.
As for suits, there was quite a discussion about this in the Mileage Run forum (now you know why some people make mileage runs).
Old Jun 25, 02, 3:14 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Lemon Ruski:
As I heared from various sources hong kong used to be the place to get a tailored suite - is this still the case ?
If yes - where do i get them - in which area of Hong Kong are the tailors - what do i have to expext to pay ?
As I will be in Hong Kong in September I thought I could take the chance to have my self a suite tailord. Has anybody from the bord done that ? and what are your experinces with it ?
What i would also need to know:
how long does it take ?
what does it cost ?
what is the suites quality ?

thanks in advance and fg
Max

PS: By the way - who could suggest a nice bar in Hong Kong for the evenings ? and what is the legal age to dring alkohol ? 21 or 18 ? thanks
</font>
Here are past discussions http://www.flyertalk.com/travel/fttr...ML/000018.html

Approx. 200USD for a suit. Actually it depends on the fabric you choose.

[This message has been edited by akhullar (edited 06-28-2002).]
Old Jun 28, 02, 6:15 pm

Programs: CX DM, SQ, BA, TG, Sheba, VN, MPO since 1980
The legal drinking age is 18
As for bars to visit
http://hk.bcmagazine.net/
In HKG most tailors buy or import their own material then use a central Shanghainese tailor syndicate to make the suits
Many people try Sams in Burlington Arcade but value for money is in Bangkok for tailoring

Old Jun 30, 02, 3:59 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Marco Polo:
Many people try Sams in Burlington Arcade </font>
Actually, that's Ash Samtani in the Burlington Arcade (on Nathan Road, HK, roughly opposite the Mosque and Kowloon Park).

Old Jul 16, 02, 3:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As fo Felix, make sure that you visit the URINALS, while using them you'll have a great view (No, not George Micheal'esque, they just face out over the city).

You might enjoy a night out in Lan Kwai Fung, lots of bars, etc. Stay away from Wan Chai.
Old Jul 18, 02, 1:20 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by hfly:
.... Stay away from Wan Chai.</font>
Or, go if you must You have been warned.
Old Jul 29, 02, 10:01 am
Suspended

Programs: None any more
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by hfly:
You might enjoy a night out in Lan Kwai Fung, lots of bars, etc. Stay away from Wan Chai.</font>
Depends on your budget - LKF is substantially more expensive than Wan Chai. But if US$4-5 for a bottle of beer isn't a problem for you then LKF is OK. Very crowded on a Friday or Saturday night though.
Old Jul 29, 02, 4:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Going to Wan Chai COULD cost him much more than LKF, on the other hand, I suppose that Joe Bananas is pretty ok for the area. There are other great places to go in HK, but he'll only be there a few days and many need insider knowledge.

Search this Thread