Reload this Page >

Best seafood in HK

Best seafood in HK

Old Apr 25, 02, 4:22 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Best seafood in HK

I have eaten fabulous seafood in HKG, but I have only tried local restaurants in Chinese neighbourhoods. Are the more upscale/famous restaurants even more fabulous, or is it the decor rather than the food that is improved? I thought I had eaten fine Chinese food before (in San Francisco's chinatown), but now I have had my eyes opened ... it is incredibly good. Very fresh tasting is perhaps the best way to describe the difference (also delicate and finely differentiated flavours ... and this is from randomly chosen restaurants). How good is the best? And where is it?
p.s. I also tried Felix (not seafood, and very good, but 10 times the price and not 10 times as good ... I was staying at the Peninsula, but prefer local food).
Old Apr 25, 02, 10:26 pm
rjh

Programs: Kam Leng; Two Dragons GH
One of my best HKG seafood experiences was taking the 1 hour ferry to Cheung Chau island, buying fresh seafood in tanks at the dock, and having the dockside restaurant prepare it. It helps if you speak Cantonese, but a little good humor goes a long way here.

There may be someone killing and preparing chickens about 5 feet from some tables, so you may want to choose carefuly where you sit. I generally face my wife and kids toward the water to avoid them converting instantly to vegetarians.

For high end seafood, some people thing the standards are Yu, in the Intercontinental, and the Lobster Bar in the Island Shangri-La. Hotel resturants in the high end hotels generally have a very high quality product in HKG, unlike a lot of other cities.
Rich
Old Apr 26, 02, 12:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free

An excellently reliable place (in a city full of excellently reliable places) is the Chinese restaurant in the basement of the Kowloon Hotel. I could eat there every day.

Old Apr 26, 02, 4:42 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by rjh:
For high end seafood, some people thing the standards are Yu, in the Intercontinental, and the Lobster Bar in the Island Shangri-La. Hotel resturants in the high end hotels generally have a very high quality product in HKG, unlike a lot of other cities.
Rich
</font>
Thank you for the excellent advice ... I will put it to good use for my next trip to HKG (in May). The Intercontinental was making a big deal about some famous chef returning to one of their restaurants, I think it was Yu, so I will try that next time, along with the other extreme. I am still amazed that it can taste so good; and I don't speak a single word of Chinese, but I found that gestures work surprisingly well and the people are extremely friendly even when there is no language in common. I'm now trying to figure out how to make more trips to Hong Kong (it is rather far from anywhere, even Tokyo is a 4 hour flight).

Old Apr 26, 02, 10:46 pm
rjh

Well, both Vancouver, BC and San Francisco Bay Area have several places that can equal HKG if you catch them right. I read that the HKG duty on wine is or may be going up to 80%, which is somewhat of a consideration, too.
Rich
Old Apr 29, 02, 2:32 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by rjh:
Well, both Vancouver, BC and San Francisco Bay Area have several places that can equal HKG if you catch them right. I read that the HKG duty on wine is or may be going up to 80%, which is somewhat of a consideration, too.
Rich
</font>
Wine prices are very high in HKG, maybe triple the US restaurant price. Luckily wine doesn't really go well with Chinese food and there are some most excellent teas available for a modest cost.
I am quite familiar with SF Bay area restaurants and I beg to differ, it does not come anywhere close to the HKG quality. And I doubt that I tasted the top 10% that HKG has to offer (it was a random choice, with a little guidance from the senses); at least when it comes to seafood as that is all that I tried (so far).

Old May 3, 02, 4:46 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

For high end seafood, some people thing the standards are Yu, in the Intercontinental</font>
For completeness here is the description of Yu (and because it took me quite a while to find this description of Yu -- somehow it didn't occur to me to check the hotel's web site). The guidebooks (Fodors, etc.) seem to recap the same information. Cost is in the USD 100 per diner range, but given the cost of obtaining the fish (flown in from around the world) and the care with which it is kept, that is reasonable. Rather strange to have Boston lobster in Hong Kong, though (sometimes flown in fresh on the same flight as the diners, no doubt). I did find the description of the fish tank system quite amazing. See http://hongkong-ic.dining.interconti.com/di05.html

Old May 8, 02, 11:45 pm

Location: WILD ANIMAL PARK (SAN), CA> GOLD-CO, MARRIOTT, HH, STARWOOD, HYATT,
Funny, back in 1995, a glass of wine or a beer was includedd with the Buffet lunch. That turned out to be my main meal for the day, since there were so many choices of food from various countries.

Doesn't cost to take a look at the daily offerings. Several special daily hot dishes to choose from.

Old May 20, 02, 9:24 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

[quote]<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by number_6:
Originally posted by rjh:
For high end seafood, some people thing the standards are Yu, in the Intercontinental
</font>
I had dinner at Yu last week ... excellent food, really stunning. Cost is high but worth it (food part was over USD100 per person, but it is possible to eat well for half that -- or triple that amount). They are hurting for business, restaurant was less than half full during prime time. Well worth the experience, but local HKG Chinese restaurants have fish almost as good for USD 10 (or less). Think I'll stick to those in future trips.

Old May 21, 02, 1:22 am

Fook Lam Moon, Kimberly Rd, Kowloon, is a classical old world really great seafood restaurant.
Old May 22, 02, 6:16 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by akhullar:
Fook Lam Moon, Kimberly Rd, Kowloon, is a classical old world really great seafood restaurant.</font>
I will eat there on my next trip to HKG (in July). Thank you for the suggestion, it is appreciated. Any other restaurants to try?

Old May 24, 02, 7:45 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM
[quote]<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by number_6:
Originally posted by number_6:
Originally posted by rjh:
For high end seafood, some people thing the standards are Yu, in the Intercontinental
</font>
I had dinner at Yu last week ... excellent food, really stunning. Cost is high but worth it (food part was over USD100 per person, but it is possible to eat well for half that -- or triple that amount). They are hurting for business, restaurant was less than half full during prime time. Well worth the experience, but local HKG Chinese restaurants have fish almost as good for USD 10 (or less). Think I'll stick to those in future trips.
I heard the Lobster Bar at the Island Shangri-La is pretty good too.

Speaking of the Intercontinental, I was there in April for a drink in the Lobby Lounge. Between 6:00pm and 7:00pm, when the view of Hong Kong Island becomes even more spectacular, the Lounge was seriously almost completely empty. I was surprised. In any other major city, the lounge of a top hotel during the end of the work day would be packed.
Old May 28, 02, 5:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Earned status with AA, DL, SPG, HH, Hyatt, Marriott, Seabourn, NCL, National, Hertz...I miss my bed!
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by francophile:
Speaking of the Intercontinental, I was there in April for a drink in the Lobby Lounge. Between 6:00pm and 7:00pm, when the view of Hong Kong Island becomes even more spectacular, the Lounge was seriously almost completely empty. I was surprised. In any other major city, the lounge of a top hotel during the end of the work day would be packed.</font>
Guy Betsy took me there for high tea when I was there last month. The view is truly breathtaking and we had no problem getting in for tea on a Saturday afternoon.

------------------
I'm just in it for the F&F!
Old May 28, 02, 8:27 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by francophile:
Speaking of the Intercontinental, I was there in April for a drink in the Lobby Lounge. Between 6:00pm and 7:00pm, when the view of Hong Kong Island becomes even more spectacular, the Lounge was seriously almost completely empty. I was surprised. In any other major city, the lounge of a top hotel during the end of the work day would be packed.</font>
A few years ago the Regent was also packed ... it seems like tough times in Hong Kong these days. Even Felix doesn't need a reservation on a Friday night! It does fill up, but just barely (and Felix is worth the hype, both the setting and the food is great). I'm doing my bit to help the HKG economy (and make CX richer).

Old May 29, 02, 3:22 pm
rjh

The Regent/Intercontinental view lost a lot of its charm when the Cup O Noodles building sign came down. And now that the Motorola sign is down from Star House, the Star Ferry ride across from Central in the evening is best done lower deck.
Rich

Search this Thread
Search Engine: