Community
Wiki Posts
Search

24 hours in HKG-where to stay?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2002, 8:11 am
Original Poster

24 hours in HKG-where to stay?

Will have a 24 hour stay in HKG on a RTW trip in October. Does any have any recommendations as to where to stay to maximize my short time there? Does it make sense to stay near the terminal for the train to the airport? I'm budgeting @ $50 USD for a hotel--is this realistic? Any ideas appreciated.
Old Apr 8, 2002, 11:26 am

I would stay in Kowloon in order to at least get some of the flavor of HK. The airport terminal is about 1/2 hour drive from Kowloon and quite isolated, I would stay there only if sleep was my only objective.

There is a YMCA next to the Peninsula that is good and inexpensive but I think even it is more than $US 50.00.

[This message has been edited by Leisuremiles (edited 04-08-2002).]
Old Apr 8, 2002, 11:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

For that price range, your two best options are to stay in TST or out on the Island MTR Line (my travel agent often puts people in the Wharney in Wanchai, which he claims is tolerable). Option 1 isn't bad if you just want to shop, eat, chill out, and spend limited time exploring the island, plus your hotel and food $ go considerably further in Kowloon. Option 2 is probably the way to go if you want to go places like Aberdeen, Stanley Market, and/or LLamma Island. I wouldn't worry too much about how far you are from the Airport Express station because cabs are cheap and relatively fast. FWIW, you can buy yourself and extra hour or so of touring time by checking in for your flight at Hong Kong Station.
Old Apr 9, 2002, 6:29 pm

There aren't many hotels in HK where you can stay for ~$50 a night.

Here's a link with prices:

http://hotels.scmp.com/

Don't know if they have the lowest price though.
Old Apr 10, 2002, 4:18 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the help...looks like I better plan on spending more on a hotel.
Old Apr 10, 2002, 11:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by captain_nemo:

Don't know if they have the lowest price though.
</font>
you can do a little better with a prepaid room, which most chinese travel agents in US can arrange for you. while $50 might be a little tough, you can do pretty well hk-side or kowloon-side for $60 - $70.

Old Apr 10, 2002, 12:15 pm

There's always Chungking Mansions on Nathan Road, in a great location right across the street from the posh Hyatt. You will hate every moment thet you're there, dread the choice of rancid stairway or frightful elevator, and fear that this will be the night the d@mn place burns to the ground; however, you will survive, and you will have a great deal to laugh and talk about for years to come.
Old Apr 10, 2002, 4:57 pm
rjh

Programs: Kam Leng; Two Dragons GH
Hotel prices in HKG vary widely in October depending on the date of stay because of the Guangzhou Trade Fair and similar demands on space.

In the US$50 range that's a lot better than Chungking Mansions is the Evergreen Hotel, Kowloon side by Jordan MTR stop. www.asiatravel.com
Rich
Old Apr 10, 2002, 7:18 pm

Programs: UA MP:1P for life, TG:Gold, CO:Gold
In late October, I've heard that the rates at the YMCA (don't laugh - this is a serious place in Kowloon) drop down to the US$50-60 range. I have never stayed there, but have heard many nice comments, and have walked past it a thousand times. It is very conveniently located on Salisbury road a block or so west of Nathan at the tip of Kowloon, near the ferry.
Old May 7, 2002, 7:17 pm

I think there are 2 YMCAs in Kowloon,
one on Waterloo Road in Yau Ma Tai
and the other on Salisbary Road in
TST. The one in TST is the newer one
with views of the harbor.
Old May 8, 2002, 7:27 am

There's also a YWCA in Hong Kong, I believe available to anyone, and curiously located on Man F*k Road (substitute 'u' for the '*' in the previous address).

Edited to circumvent the Naughty Word Filter.

[This message has been edited by wideman (edited 05-08-2002).]
Old May 8, 2002, 9:12 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
I've stayed at the Salisbury YMCA several times, most recently in Nov 2001. It has a great location, near the subway, Star ferry, waterfront, and immediately next door to the famed Peninsula Hotel. If you want to do it really cheap, they have dormitory rooms, but I think the regular hotel rooms are the best value. They are simple, clean rooms, with a/c, phone, TV, etc. It's a basic hotel with minimal services, so there's no room service or things like that. But, there's an on-site cafeteria and I think a coffee-shop type of of restaurant. Their web site isn't hard to find, and you can view all pricing and make reservations there.

Old May 8, 2002, 1:35 pm
Original Member

Programs: AAdvantage EXP/1mm/Admirals,United Silver+Club (life),Marriott Titanium,Hilton & Accor Gold
For a cheap hotel with airport transportation:
The Golden Tulip Panda Hotel has an airport shuttle and is located nearly 20 miles from Chek Lap Kok Airport. It is on the far north side of the Kowloon peninsula and is accessible to the MTR line.

For a cheap hotel on Kowloon:
The Ramada Hotel Kowloon is located about one kilometer north of the Sheraton.

For good consolidators:
http://www.priceline.com.hk/eng/default.asp
http://www.hotelwizard.com
http://www.asiatravel.com

For airport transportation:
The Airport Express offers quick, frequent service to Tsimshatsui and HK Island. Taxis are very cheap from the rail station to your hotel or you can take the courtesy shuttles. I always just take a taxi to/from the Airport Express stations.

[This message has been edited by TransWorldOne (edited 05-08-2002).]
Old May 8, 2002, 11:28 pm

Location: WILD ANIMAL PARK (SAN), CA> GOLD-CO, MARRIOTT, HH, STARWOOD, HYATT,
The Marrriott is my preferred hotel, but will use the Salisbury YMCA for a short layover due to it's convenient location.

The restaurant is one of the best places to have more then enough good food at an affordable price. The Lunch and Dinner buffets have a wide variety of food to choose from.

Old May 9, 2002, 12:58 am

Location: WILD ANIMAL PARK (SAN), CA> GOLD-CO, MARRIOTT, HH, STARWOOD, HYATT,
YMCA is about $60.00 on www.asiatravel.com. A good modern hotel, that was always booked before the return to China control.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.