Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Hong Kong and Macau
Reload this Page >

Hong Kong Regent bites the dust

Old Jun 6, 01, 9:04 am
Original Poster

My favorite hotel is history. I just got an email from AsiaMiles touting the fact that I get extra miles for staying at the new Intercontinental Hong Kong, formerly Regent Hong Kong.

I hope this isn't as much of a loss as I fear, but so far I'm fearing. I called Intercontinental/Holiday Inn reservations to verify that my existing reservation is in their computer and of course it isn't. "Email the hotel" sez they. Oh, well, them's the breaks. Now I get Priority Club points for staying there. Wow. (Dripping with sarcasm)
Old Jun 6, 01, 10:07 am

That is very strange as I thought that the Hong Kong Regent was the jewel of the Four Seasons/Regent crown. I'm not a huge fan of Intercontinental as I feel they don't seem to ever renovate their properties.

Is Four Seasons/Regent opening or taking over another hotel in HK? I can't imagine them not having a presence there.
Old Jun 6, 01, 10:27 am

Programs: UA MP:1P for life, TG:Gold, CO:Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by JohnAx:
I called Intercontinental/Holiday Inn reservations...</font>
I am now in the Marco Polo Gateway, a few blocks from the hotel in question, so I was wondering... might they bypass the Intercontinental management, and go directly to the Holiday Inn brand? And if so, might it become a Holiday Inn Express? I know that I am hoping for a lot, but in that case, perhaps they will finally install ice machines and soda/candy machines on every floor; it's about time.

OK, now I stand aside...
Old Jun 6, 01, 10:43 am
Original Poster

THATS what the Regent was missing. I couldn't put my finger on it. I wonder if they honor requests for rooms right next to the vending machines?
Old Jun 6, 01, 11:31 am

To answer my own question, Four Seasons has announced that they will open a Four Seasons Hong Kong on the Hong Kong side in the financial district which will be a mixed use complex of offices/Hotel/housing. It is scheduled for a 2004 opening.
Old Jun 6, 01, 1:24 pm

Programs: AA3MMEXP, BAGold,UA1MMPremGold,FBSilver, MarriottAmb, AccorPlat, HHGold, ICPlatAmb, HyattDiscoverist
This is a shame. The Regent was one of my absolute all-time, all-location bests, and I don't have much faith in Intercontinental's ability to provide service commensurate with the levels of service there until now.
Old Jun 6, 01, 2:35 pm

Location: UAL PP/2MM, SPG LT PLT75, Marriott LT Plat, IHG Spire
This is the worst travel news I have heard in some time. I hope Interconti has the good sense to keep all the Regent staff, and keep it as much the same as possible.
Old Jun 6, 01, 4:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I stayed at the Regent over the memorial day weekend and became friendly with a manager at the hotel (they didn't have the "harbour-view deluxe" that I had reserved and when I made a stink she put me in an unbelievable $1400 a night suite-- this necessitated a huge tip-- that led to the friendship)

Upon my checkout, she confided in me that next time I visit, the hotel would be an Intercontinental. When I asked if she was going to still be there she said "yes, everyone"

Who knows, but I left with the feeling they were 100% intent on keeping things the same. But, of course, who knows. I'm optimistic. And the location of the hotel alone means it will always be the premier hotel in HKG, for my purposes anyway.
Old Jun 6, 01, 5:17 pm
Original Poster

JonNYC, I hope you didn't have to make too much of a stink to get them to find you a room? I guess the first clue there's a problem is when they meet you at the door and walk you somewhere other than your room-to-be. "Oopsies, this looks a lot like the front desk."

But don't get your hopes up - it's been a while and I certainly haven't heard back from the hotel about my supposed reservation. It's weeks away, but I'd like to know it got into someone's computer, and what they're doing about the promo rate I booked. Hopefully upgrading to $1400 suites, but I'll be happy with what I bargained for.
Old Jun 6, 01, 5:28 pm
Moderator, Argentina; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & All Wines Argentine
Very very sad news, indeed. I guess the Peninsula is now the top hotel in Hong Kong.
Old Jun 6, 01, 5:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

JohnAx;

They were more than willing to give me a room-- just no a harbour-view room, which is what I reserved, thus the suite "became available." I didn't want in any way, shape or form want to give the impression that they weren't holding a room for me at all.

BTW, I also had booked over the website for the very "reasonable" rate offered only on the website (2599.00 HKD "best rate")
That having been said, I did receive plenty to email communication from them, so maybe your situation is a bad sign indeed...
Old Jun 6, 01, 6:07 pm

Programs: AA PLT/5MM; AS MVP GLD 75K; DL PLT; EK SLV; VX GLD; HHonors DIAM; SPG Platinum
This hotel has been up for sale for 2-3 years. Bass PLC (parent of Intercontinental Hotels) finally bought it, so they decided to reflag the property as one of their own.
Old Jun 6, 01, 10:39 pm

Location: Chicago, IL USA UA1K, AA Plat, Hilton Diamond,Hyatt Diamond,Marriott Gold
Programs: UA1K, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond,Marriott Platinum
I'm sure it will be Intercontinental - there's the Holiday Inn Golden Mile right around the corner on Nathan Rd. Too bad..I liked the Regent, especially the lounge at night.
Old Jun 19, 01, 4:41 pm

On the bright side, I've had great success in getting I-C hotels in Asia to honor the UA 50% coupons, including better rooms and suites.

------------------
"Blue days, all of them gone, nothin' but blue skies from now on"
Old Jun 19, 01, 5:33 pm

Programs: Bootless and unhorsed; once a longtime UA Premier Exec; NW silver (legacy), Alaska Gold
This is a calamity.

The Hong Kong Regent is the finest hotel I have ever stayed in anywhere, any time, any price. It was outrageously expensive and provided more than fair value for the price.

Search this Thread