Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Hong Kong and Macau
Reload this Page >

Hong Kong MTR to accept credit cards, smartphones?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2023, 8:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG

https://www.executivetraveller.com/n...rds-smartphone

The link seems to be having an issue on my end, but according to djsflynn, we'll be able to use our foreign credit cards on the MTR. I don't know who is his source. I haven't seen any major announcements in publications like Bloomberg. If true, this is a very exciting development.
Old Mar 22, 2023, 10:38 pm

Here is a report in the local media:
https://www.hk01.com/%E7%A4%BE%E6%9C...BB%98%E6%AC%BE
lsquare likes this.
Old Mar 23, 2023, 12:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tauphi
Here is a report in the local media:
https://www.hk01.com/%E7%A4%BE%E6%9C...BB%98%E6%AC%BE
Thank you! That's amazing news! Will there be any surcharges? I'll be happy if I don't have to use an Octopus card ever again.
Old Mar 23, 2023, 6:32 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Octopus has uses other than paying for public transport.
moondog, roberto99, wongbr and 1 others like this.
Old Mar 23, 2023, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by :D!
I know restaurants accept them, but I rather go to restaurants that accept credit cards. What will be great is if I can load Octopus with a foreign credit card.
Old Mar 23, 2023, 1:38 pm

Programs: AC
Originally Posted by lsquare
https://www.executivetraveller.com/n...rds-smartphone

The link seems to be having an issue on my end, but according to djsflynn, we'll be able to use our foreign credit cards on the MTR. I don't know who is his source. I haven't seen any major announcements in publications like Bloomberg. If true, this is a very exciting development.
This link and the one in the following post, just state that MTR starts accepting credit cards, without mentioning whether foreign ones are accepted. Knowing that foreign credit cards are sometimes treated differently, it would be great if someone currently in Hong Kong can try it out and provide a definite DP.
Old Mar 23, 2023, 1:43 pm

Like the cash only places and find having the card with useful from time to time. However, if the MTR accepted CCs and/or Apple Pay, I'd probably ditch the card.
Old Mar 23, 2023, 8:32 pm

Thank you! That's amazing news! Will there be any surcharges? I'll be happy if I don't have to use an Octopus card ever again.
If it's anything like the Hong Kong buses which already support contactless payments then there shouldn't be any surcharges at this end. Your bank may of course impose surcharges on overseas/foreign currency spending.

Originally Posted by mtl49
This link and the one in the following post, just state that MTR starts accepting credit cards, without mentioning whether foreign ones are accepted. Knowing that foreign credit cards are sometimes treated differently, it would be great if someone currently in Hong Kong can try it out and provide a definite DP.
Buses in Hong Kong already accept contactless payments. There is no difference between foreign-issued cards and locally issued cards. As long as it's a MasterCard or Visa (and supports contactless payments) it should work.

https://www.kmb.hk/payment.html
lsquare likes this.

Last edited by NewbieRunner; Mar 28, 2023 at 3:06 pm Reason: Please use multi-quote function
Old Mar 23, 2023, 8:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Visconti
Like the cash only places and find having the card with useful from time to time. However, if the MTR accepted CCs and/or Apple Pay, I'd probably ditch the card.
I wonder if there is a way to dump all my HKD coins into Octopus?

Originally Posted by tauphi
If it's anything like the Hong Kong buses which already support contactless payments then there shouldn't be any surcharges at this end. Your bank may of course impose surcharges on overseas/foreign currency spending.
​​​​​​​When did this start? All HK buses accept Visa and Apple Pay now?
Old Mar 23, 2023, 9:15 pm

When did this start? All HK buses accept Visa and Apple Pay now?
I saw more of the credit card machines on KMB and Bravo buses last year (they also scan QR codes) and now they're commonsight. Many have also moved to the Octopus app so they don't use the physical card anymore.
Old Mar 23, 2023, 9:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hkskyline
I saw more of the credit card machines on KMB and Bravo buses last year (they also scan QR codes) and now they're commonsight. Many have also moved to the Octopus app so they don't use the physical card anymore.
I don't know if HK buses have many different operators or have one authority operating them. I'm not local so I don't know how useful the app will be for me. I think I read there is a surcharge for foreigners to reload their Octopus cards with credit cards?
Old Mar 25, 2023, 2:41 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
I wonder if there is a way to dump all my HKD coins into Octopus?
Count them into lots of $50 and go to 7-11 or an MTR station.

You can also use https://www.hkma.gov.hk/eng/key-func...ion-programme/ but they reject dirty coins, and the locations may be inconvenient.

Why do you have coins anyway, seems odd to prefer cash while not wanting to use octopus at restaurants/ cafes
lsquare and Marschel like this.
Old Mar 25, 2023, 2:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Count them into lots of $50 and go to 7-11 or an MTR station.

You can also use https://www.hkma.gov.hk/eng/key-func...ion-programme/ but they reject dirty coins, and the locations may be inconvenient.

Why do you have coins anyway, seems odd to prefer cash while not wanting to use octopus at restaurants/ cafes
I have coins accumulated over the years and never got rid of them. Do you mean to count it to HK$50? Do I have to roll them up? I'm assuming they'll count it on the spot to verify?
Old Mar 25, 2023, 3:53 am

I don't know if HK buses have many different operators or have one authority operating them. I'm not local so I don't know how useful the app will be for me. I think I read there is a surcharge for foreigners to reload their Octopus cards with credit cards?
I don't think we can even re-load Octopus cards with credit cards at 7-11 or the supermarket, although I was never charged extra with my credit card auto-reload option.
Old Mar 25, 2023, 5:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hkskyline
I don't think we can even re-load Octopus cards with credit cards at 7-11 or the supermarket, although I was never charged extra with my credit card auto-reload option.
I don't think that is possible at 7/11. It certainly wasn't pre-COVID.

That's because you most likely have an HK-issued card. Mine is from the US.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.