Wiki Posts
Search

Help with ex-USA west coast to HKG, SIN, BKK trip

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2022, 12:27 pm
Original Poster

Help with ex-USA west coast to HKG, SIN, BKK trip

Hello folks:
(I posted a similar message in the JL Mileage Bank and CX sub-forums. I am re-posting the following in this sub-forum to get more ideas. Thank you for your attention.)

I need to travel from the US west coast to 3 cities: HKG, SIN, and BKK this August and Sep. At the end of Sept, I will depart from BKK back to the US on a purchased ticket. Ideally, I will be in these cities in the above sequence, but I understand that it's difficult to do so.

I have booked one CX business class award flight (using AS miles) to SIN with a stopover in HKG. (I will buy a one-way ticket from SIN to BKK.) I am guessing that there is a chance of it being canceled by CX, and so I need to buy insurance.

So, now my only alternative is JL's (again, using AS miles) flight to SIN or BKK. I have some *A miles but their only saver award flights available are via TPE on Eva. This is not feasible because TPE does not allow transits.

So, my questions:
1. For the AS award flight on JL, should I book USA-NRT-BKK or USA-NRT-SIN? NRT is just a transit point for me as Tokyo is not open to tourists.
Right now, I think there is no difference between SIN and BKK as origins for HKG bound flights, in terms of quarantine treatment.
Correct me if I am wrong, there was a time when passengers from Thailand were totally banned from arriving in HKG, whereas those from SIN were required to quarantine.
So, it seems like traveling from SIN to HKG is a safer bet than traveling from BKK to HKG, correct?

2. Is JL canceling flights or biz award seats frequently like CX?

3. What are some transpacific alternatives I overlooked? One is the JFK-HAN deal at < $3k that was posted in the Premium Fare Deal forum. However, I will need to go from HAN to HKG, then HKG to SIN, then SIN-BKK.

4. Another alternative: it's Finnair RT LAX-BKK via ARN and HEL for about $3k. Kiwi.com sells this fare at $2970, but Finnair's website sells this for $33xx. Is Kiwi.com a legit travel agency?

Thank you very much.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.