Search

Anyone here subscribe to SCMP?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6, 2021, 2:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Anyone here subscribe to SCMP?

Not sure where to really post this, but since this is somewhat HK-related, I figure I'll post here. I'm just wondering what is the cheapest way to subscribe to SCMP is? It sucks that there is a subscription now. It used to be free.
Old Nov 6, 2021, 8:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You might want to hold off until this shakes out: https://asia.nikkei.com/Business/Med...-China-SOE-bid

It would be a shame to subscribe to the SCMP and end up with the Global Times (which is available free of charge) after a few months.
lsquare likes this.
Old Nov 6, 2021, 9:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by travelinmanS
You might want to hold off until this shakes out: https://asia.nikkei.com/Business/Med...-China-SOE-bid

It would be a shame to subscribe to the SCMP and end up with the Global Times (which is available free of charge) after a few months.
Talk about timing, eh? I'm definitely not interested in paying for Communist propaganda. What's another equivalent of the SCMP in HK?
Old Nov 12, 2021, 7:45 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium (Lifetime Gold), Caesars Diamond
I subscribe to Caixin (Chinese version). They're by far the most independent news site in China (historically have also been so, can Wikipedia their history).

This news is fine to me... hope they don't get shut down
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/c...-b1942482.html

To your point the English version covers HK and Asia very well, the Chinese version largely focuses on mainland China.
Visconti likes this.
Old Nov 12, 2021, 7:49 am

Originally Posted by lsquare
Talk about timing, eh? I'm definitely not interested in paying for Communist propaganda.
LOL...Yeah, seriously. Not that I'm paranoid or anything, but subscribing to such things may land us on some kind of list.
lsquare likes this.
Old Nov 18, 2021, 6:29 am

Originally Posted by Visconti
LOL...Yeah, seriously. Not that I'm paranoid or anything, but subscribing to such things may land us on some kind of list.
It is sad, but I'm certain you would be. What a messed up situation.
Old Nov 23, 2021, 12:11 pm

Programs: Free agent!
IMO, the only English language news source in HK worth a lick anymore is Hong Kong Free Press. They're quite small, so obviously they are not as comprehensive as the big boys, but there's also none of the paid advertisements on SCMP masquerading as articles.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.