Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Hong Kong and Macau
Reload this Page >

Transit at HKG - current situation (merged thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Transit at HKG - current situation (merged thread)

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2022, 11:55 am

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Update

Here is the latest update, read Post #80

Hong Kong Won’t Open to World Until Mid-2022, Lam Aide Says

The link to the article of news release:

https://www.info.gov.hk/gia/general/...htm?fontSize=1
Old Jun 1, 2022, 10:02 am

Programs: hahaha
Just had a pretty terrible schedule change that would cause a lengthy overnight layover at HKG. Is it possible currently?

given:

- all on one ticket with through checked bags
- the latest news release from HKIA indicates some facilities airside open as late as 11pm
- same news release indicates some restaurants open LANDSIDE (which i definitely can't access) 24 hours a day, which leads me to think the airport is still generally operating 24/7
- some flights are departing at 02:00 currently

I'm willing to do it (even at the discomfort) because of limited rebooking options.

Also, It's a Star Alliance flight departing at 9 AM, would I be able to access lounges on the previous day starting at, ugh, 7PM? It would provide tremendous comfort before those facilities close for the day

Was HKIA a 24/7 passenger operation pre-COVID?

Last edited by asovse1; Jun 1, 2022 at 10:12 am
Old Jun 1, 2022, 12:32 pm

Yes it was, but public transport to and from the airport in the wee hours was sparse, so catching a 7am flight was a hassle.
Old Jun 26, 2022, 5:36 am

Programs: KLM Plat for Life , BA Gold, HH Silver, (Other half Diamond), IHG Gold
I have virgin flights LHR to HKG that have been cancelled several times over the past two years . Originally booked in their 50% off miles sale in UC so loath to get rid of them.
Originally booked to see close friends who have lived in HK for 30 years but are now returning to the UK .
We have no particular need / wish to visit Hong Kong now but could use them as a bridge to see the in-laws in Malaysia but of course that would mean a separate PNR ; so even on HBO it would not be allowed currently.
Does anyone have a feeling for when this rule of separate PNRs might change? Likely not but thought worth an ask.

many tx
Old Jun 27, 2022, 5:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by simonsmith
I have virgin flights LHR to HKG that have been cancelled several times over the past two years . Originally booked in their 50% off miles sale in UC so loath to get rid of them.
Originally booked to see close friends who have lived in HK for 30 years but are now returning to the UK .
We have no particular need / wish to visit Hong Kong now but could use them as a bridge to see the in-laws in Malaysia but of course that would mean a separate PNR ; so even on HBO it would not be allowed currently.
Does anyone have a feeling for when this rule of separate PNRs might change? Likely not but thought worth an ask.

many tx
My crystal ball, like everyone in HK's is in for repairs due to too many wrong readings.
uanj, jfkeze and :D! like this.
Old Jul 4, 2022, 8:41 pm

Has anyone been through HKG lately? I'm going on Sunday and it looks as though the only things open are the Pier lounges? I'm wondering if I should book myself into one of them just so I have some food and drink options?

Also side note - if anyone's been to the Piers lately are the showers open and is it included with entry purchase or does it cost extra to access them?
Old Jul 15, 2022, 11:53 am

Transit through Hong Kong

So, we bought tickets to Asia, multi city in 2020 First class with Swiss and got an amazing deal.

However the journey looks like this due to the constant cancelling and rebooking of flights
Outbound - ​​​​​​LHR - ZRH -BKK - HKG (BKK to HKG leg operated by Thai Air)Return - BKK -ZRH -LHR
Now I am not on a flexible ticket, I know but please it's not helpful to point out that we should have paid more at the time of booking, we know.

I have a couple of questions first is if I bought a ticket on the Thai Air flight that is returning to BKK on the way out, could we transit through Hong Kong rather than have to go through immigration and thus have to quarantine.

OR if we missed that final leg of the outbound journey between BKK and HKG will Swiss cancel the return flight.

OR what are the possibilities of SWISS just out of sequencing the final leg of the outbound journey?

Any help or ideas would be fab
Old Sep 17, 2022, 3:01 pm

Transit HKG (Intl to Intl) in less than 24 hours but overnight

Wake up this old thread.

I have a rather inflexible transit in HKG (meaning too complex to make changes) on 2 separate tickets. After reading carefully the info on the HKG airport website (only says less than 24 hours, no mention of overnight), it is ok to transit on 2 separate tickets within 24 hours.

I don't want to go landside at any cost. Question is: Is it allowed to stay airside over night? I much prefer an airside hotel (not aware of any). I have access to oneworld lounges. They must close for the night at some point. Have to check the oneworld web site later.

Any recent experience? Please share. Thanks.
Old Sep 17, 2022, 5:28 pm

Originally Posted by allset2travel
Any recent experience? Please share. Thanks.
While my experience isn't recent, in the past staying overnight in the airport was never an issue. Matter of fact, when I had early morning flights that I simply couldn't afford to miss, I'd enter security the day before, even in the afternoon. The only hitch was the machine would flag it and one of the security guys would just manually let me in.

I can't imagine that's changed. And, far as I know, there's no airport inside HKG though there used to be a 24 hour Plaza Premium lounge.
Old Sep 17, 2022, 8:37 pm

Originally Posted by Visconti
While my experience isn't recent, in the past staying overnight in the airport was never an issue. Matter of fact, when I had early morning flights that I simply couldn't afford to miss, I'd enter security the day before, even in the afternoon. The only hitch was the machine would flag it and one of the security guys would just manually let me in.

I can't imagine that's changed. And, far as I know, there's no airport inside HKG though there used to be a 24 hour Plaza Premium lounge.
Thank you for chiming in. Appreciate it.
My concern is that HKG today is not the same as pre-pandemic. New guidelines got updated from time to time. I took the HKG Airport web site as the ultimate authority. But it did not mention whether overnight connection (less than 24 hours) was ok or not. For me I assumed it is. But that could be a serious mistake if I assumed it wrong.

As for lounges, I checked CX. The Wing & Pier Business lounges are open, but no hours are posted!
Old Sep 18, 2022, 4:22 am

You understand going landside is not an option for transit in any event. You'd need a quarantine hotel reservation (as well as a pre-departure PCR test) and could not leave HK until your quarantine is over.
Old Sep 18, 2022, 1:12 pm

Originally Posted by 889
You understand going landside is not an option for transit in any event. You'd need a quarantine hotel reservation (as well as a pre-departure PCR test) and could not leave HK until your quarantine is over.
I fully understand that. I am trying to avoid having to QH, hence the question of trying confirm/not confirm if it is ok to stay overnite airside?
Old Sep 23, 2022, 10:05 am

Is it possible to land at HKG then transit to Macau?
Old Sep 23, 2022, 5:04 pm
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Originally Posted by DJ_FCF
Is it possible to land at HKG then transit to Macau?
Now it will be, but you need to fulfill Macau's entry / covid requirements too.
Old Sep 24, 2022, 10:56 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, JAL Sapphire
Does the 0+3 protocol allow me to go into HK for the day during long transit (arrive during morning and depart during night)?

Thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.