FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hong Kong and Macau (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hong-kong-macau-436/)
-   -   HK Re-Opening to Non-Residents (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hong-kong-macau/2044622-hk-re-opening-non-residents.html)

kirkwoodj Nov 29, 2022 7:24 pm

Originally Posted by mcdullhk88 (Post 34794327)
What happens if one tests +ve on arrival (or day 2) but has proof of Covid recovery in the past 90 days? Does HK govt recognize that at all?

Off to the slammer

mcdullhk88 Dec 3, 2022 1:08 am

Hypothetical question. Anyone attempted to enter HKG during a transit recently? Wonder what happens if one goes landside for a very short time (to re-check-in on separate tickets, meet a friend, etc), goes back airside (cleared exit immigration), and only then receives a positive test result SMS.

:D! Dec 3, 2022 3:53 am

Originally Posted by mcdullhk88 (Post 34803354)
Hypothetical question. Anyone attempted to enter HKG during a transit recently? Wonder what happens if one goes landside for a very short time (to re-check-in on separate tickets, meet a friend, etc), goes back airside (cleared exit immigration), and only then receives a positive test result SMS.

Feign ignorance and hope you don't get caught. Keep boarding pass until next time you come to HK to prove you left HK, maybe pay a fine.

kirkwoodj Dec 3, 2022 7:59 am

Originally Posted by :D! (Post 34803478)
Feign ignorance and hope you don't get caught. Keep boarding pass until next time you come to HK to prove you left HK, maybe pay a fine.

See Post #361

williamluk Dec 5, 2022 4:12 am

theoretically you can as no one is actually checking your code status at the airport. You can always pretend you never receive the sms (out of battery?). But do remember the result is usually out in 3-4 hours so you really can’t hang out there for too long.

dorakk Dec 5, 2022 12:58 pm

Even if it is a small risk, I wouldn't risk it. Not in a country with crazy covid policy.

tentseller Dec 5, 2022 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by williamluk (Post 34807872)
theoretically you can as no one is actually checking your code status at the airport. You can always pretend you never receive the sms (out of battery?). But do remember the result is usually out in 3-4 hours so you really can’t hang out there for too long.

There is no need to pretend that you have not received the +ve result SMS as there will be an isolation order issued against your HKID or travel ID used to enter HK and was denied exit by immigration.

The latest data is 2 hours for the airport test result.

889 Dec 6, 2022 7:17 am

Yes, two hours and you also get the result by email.

Reading all the government rules, I couldn't figure out what happens when you already have LHS installed. Answer is, you don't have to install anything again. Your existing app will automatically turn amber (if you tested neg).

hkskyline Dec 7, 2022 9:28 pm

I don't think the government has figured out how to handle these tail scenarios yet, which may mean you are detained for some time as they scramble to figure out what to do. Given you don't have a hotel booking in HK, you may end up in Penny Bay for a week and it's bound to be stressful.

Pleading ignorance won't likely get you anywhere either, because if the government really wants to make an example out of it, they'll grab all the security cam footage in the airport to prove you were playing on your phone, and your phone was picking up signals from the local network so you should have seen the positive SMS and self report to not fly even after crossing immigration and arriving airside.

889 Dec 8, 2022 2:21 am

With the latest rejiggering of the rules, it'll be a minimum five days' quarantine if you test positive, down from seven.

Note that if you do leave Hong Kong before your seven-day surveillance period is finished, you have to report your departure.

tentseller Dec 9, 2022 2:40 pm

IMHO the key to exit is whether you have cleared exit immigration before the isolation order is issued, which will be against your HKID or travel document used for entry. For visitors one must use the same travel documents in and out.

boybi Dec 11, 2022 10:50 pm

What happens if you've already boarded your departure flight from HK and your latest PCR turned out to be positive?

tentseller Dec 12, 2022 5:09 am

Originally Posted by boybi (Post 34826160)
What happens if you've already boarded your departure flight from HK and your latest PCR turned out to be positive?

Hypothetical reply to the hypothetical question:

Legally, until the plane takes off, you can be deplaned and detained. This has happened to people with outstanding legal proceedings against them that include "must stay in HK".

The exit immigration system will not let one depart with an outstanding isolation order issued.
IMHO if you are out of exit immigration, I doubt that they will come looking for you at the departure restricted area, BUT HK has not been tolerant of repeat offenders.

boybi Dec 13, 2022 4:14 am

HK will be start 0+0 tomorrow, but I have read in the news that passengers will need to have a negative RAT within 24hrs of taking the flight to HK, then will need to undergo PCR test upon arrival.

With the PCR test on arrival, I think it’s still risky for tourists. So what happens when a passenger tested positive in thr PCR?

maalloc Dec 13, 2022 4:33 am

Originally Posted by boybi (Post 34829936)
HK will be start 0+0 tomorrow, but I have read in the news that passengers will need to have a negative RAT within 24hrs of taking the flight to HK, then will need to undergo PCR test upon arrival.

With the PCR test on arrival, I think it’s still risky for tourists. So what happens when a passenger tested positive in thr PCR?

Yes, beware that testing regimen won't change.

Tourists will still need
- one pre-departure RAT
- one on-arrival PCR (day 0)
- one extra PCR (day 2)
- daily self administered RATs from day 1 to 5