Reload this Page >

HK Re-Opening to Non-Residents

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

HK Re-Opening to Non-Residents

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2021, 8:24 am

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
Originally Posted by HkCaGu
No, it is the last point of boarding. DXB departure time minus 48 hours.
I just found on ITA Matrix that EK is selling BKK-HKG alone. Which means people get off and on at BKK. That makes BKK departure time your countdown reference.

That's 1Feb 13:45 (+7) or 1Feb 14:45 HKT. Count back 48 hours it's 30Jan 14:45 HKT or 30Jan 01:45 EST. You'll have to find some certified lab in Toronto on Sun30Jan to get tested and results within hours.
Old Dec 30, 2021, 12:52 pm

Originally Posted by 889
No, New Zealand joined Group A on December 21.

By the way, effectively turning all arrivals into Group A arrivals has another important consequence: Hong Kong residents cannot return from overseas now unless they have been fully vaccinated. But getting vaccinated overseas may be impossible for some since most countries, except the US and UK, limit vaccination to their citizens and residents.
not Canada. anyone can get a shot. Even undocumented people. I'm sure foreign students were vaccinated before their family members. And now they will get their third.
Old Dec 30, 2021, 1:05 pm

Programs: AC
Originally Posted by HkCaGu
I just found on ITA Matrix that EK is selling BKK-HKG alone. Which means people get off and on at BKK. That makes BKK departure time your countdown reference.

That's 1Feb 13:45 (+7) or 1Feb 14:45 HKT. Count back 48 hours it's 30Jan 14:45 HKT or 30Jan 01:45 EST. You'll have to find some certified lab in Toronto on Sun30Jan to get tested and results within hours.
Sorry I'm actually scheduled to arrive in HKG at 17:40 on Jan 31st and depart YYZ on Jan 29th at 20:15. I don't think they would calculate it from BKK cause it's a Direct (not non-stop) flight from DXB - HKG and they don't expect people who is scheduled to arrive at HKG to deboard at BKK. I currently have a PCR test booked for Jan 28th at 18:10 in YYZ (flight from DXB is 3:05 on the 31st, DXB is 9 hours ahead of YYZ which means 18:05 on the 30th back in Toronto, 48 hours back from that is 18:05 on the 28th). Hopefully the math works out as it's a super tight window as is, otherwise it's pretty much impossible to get test results in time. FWIW the EK rep I spoke with earlier said the would actually calculate the 48 hours window from YYZ departure. I also do have a 9 hours layover in DXB...
Old Dec 30, 2021, 4:41 pm

Originally Posted by kiokujai
I don't think they would calculate it from BKK cause it's a Direct (not non-stop) flight from DXB - HKG and they don't expect people who is scheduled to arrive at HKG to deboard at BKK.
I revisited the wording from the HK government and it seems to tie you to the aircraft which is indeed flying from DXB to HKG.

FWIW the EK rep I spoke with earlier said the would actually calculate the 48 hours window from YYZ departure.
This is obviously wrong. You need to make a trip to YYZ airport and talk to people who actually check people in. Meanwhile, EK is currently under a temporary ban from carrying passengers to HKG. I'm not sure it was because of passengers testing positive on arrival or they were bringing in passengers with unqualified PCR tests, i.e. outstations not getting the rules right.
Old Dec 31, 2021, 6:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Flying YYZ - DXB - HKG at the end of January. HK requires a PCR test taken within 48 hours of departure. I just want to confirm that window is calculated using my YYZ - DXB flight as YYZ is my point of origin and DXB is just my transit point? I.e. If I'm departing YYZ on Jan 30th at 20:15 my testing window starts Jan 28th at 20:15?
It is written:
The test sample must be collected no earlier than 48 hours from the SCHEDULED DEPARTURE time of your FINAL FLIGHT THAT LANDS in HKG.
Old Dec 31, 2021, 6:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sorry I'm actually scheduled to arrive in HKG at 17:40 on Jan 31st and depart YYZ on Jan 29th at 20:15. I don't think they would calculate it from BKK cause it's a Direct (not non-stop) flight from DXB - HKG and they don't expect people who is scheduled to arrive at HKG to deboard at BKK. I currently have a PCR test booked for Jan 28th at 18:10 in YYZ (flight from DXB is 3:05 on the 31st, DXB is 9 hours ahead of YYZ which means 18:05 on the 30th back in Toronto, 48 hours back from that is 18:05 on the 28th). Hopefully the math works out as it's a super tight window as is, otherwise it's pretty much impossible to get test results in time. FWIW the EK rep I spoke with earlier said the would actually calculate the 48 hours window from YYZ departure. I also do have a 9 hours layover in DXB...
You can go by what is written at the HK government official site or what EK CS tells you.
Your choice, choose wisely!
Old Dec 31, 2021, 7:21 am
Original Poster

The only reason it works is that 03:05 scheduled departure from Dubai. If in the next month it's re-scheduled by even a few minutes later, you're up the creek.
Old Dec 31, 2021, 8:29 am

Originally Posted by tentseller
It is written:
The test sample must be collected no earlier than 48 hours from the SCHEDULED DEPARTURE time of your FINAL FLIGHT THAT LANDS in HKG.
The question is whether it's DXB or BKK.
Old Dec 31, 2021, 9:50 am

Thanks everyone. Spoke with another EK rep who said it's based on departure from DXB, which after re-reading the wording on the HK gov website I agree with. I do plan to visit the EK check-in counter per HKCaGu's suggestion to chat with the rep there to get a better answer. I might also end up doing two tests (one based on DXB departure the day before my flight and one the morning of my flight just as a backup). The testing centre's timeline is 12 - 24 hours so it's pretty tight. Hoping for the best.

In terms of completing the health form to get the QR code, does anyone know if that's instantaneously or is there a waiting period?
Old Dec 31, 2021, 1:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

In terms of completing the health form to get the QR code, does anyone know if that's instantaneously or is there a waiting period?
Almost instantaneous
Old Jan 5, 2022, 11:41 pm

Programs: AA Platinum for Life (2MM), BR Gold, AS MVP Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold
I'm actually scheduled to arrive in HKG at 17:40 on Jan 31st and depart YYZ on Jan 29th
Flights and pax from Canada banned for two weeks ending 21 January 2022. I hope for your sake that won’t be extended past 21 Jan.
Old Jan 6, 2022, 12:12 pm

Originally Posted by tai4de2
Flights and pax from Canada banned for two weeks ending 21 January 2022. I hope for your sake that won’t be extended past 21 Jan.
Miraculously managed to change my ticket so that DXB is my final stop (it was a really complicated situation cause the ticket was booked via AS which no longer has a partnership with EK). At this rate it's going to be at least another year before I make it back to HK
tai4de2 and gudugan like this.
Old Jan 6, 2022, 12:21 pm

Programs: AA Platinum for Life (2MM), BR Gold, AS MVP Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Miraculously managed to change my ticket so that DXB is my final stop (it was a really complicated situation cause the ticket was booked via AS which no longer has a partnership with EK). At this rate it's going to be at least another year before I make it back to HK
I know from bitter experience that this kind of thing can be really tough for "non-tourists" (have family or other interests in a place)... I hope it works out for you some time to get back there.
Old Jan 6, 2022, 12:24 pm

Originally Posted by tai4de2
I know from bitter experience that this kind of thing can be really tough for "non-tourists" (have family or other interests in a place)... I hope it works out for you some time to get back there.
Both my parents are in HK and we were just blessed with a baby (their first grandchild) back in June so was hoping to bring her back to meet them. But given the circumstances they were totally supportive of us not coming back. I'm not spending 3 weeks quarantining with a 7 months old, especially not at Penny Bay. Until they lift quarantine requirements for fully vaccinated travelers, I'm not going to go back, which sadly could be years away...

Stay safe!
Need, uanj, Schwann and 1 others like this.
Old Apr 22, 2022, 5:54 am

Programs: FlyingBlue
Unbelievable: HK would re-open to non-residents as early as next month!

https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/...le-back-flight

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.