FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hong Kong and Macau (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hong-kong-macau-436/)
-   -   Opening HK based bank accounts whilst overseas (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hong-kong-macau/2025174-opening-hk-based-bank-accounts-whilst-overseas.html)

kamchatsky Sep 15, 2020 10:18 pm

Opening HK based bank accounts whilst overseas

I was planning to go back to HK in April next year, to open a HK based bank account for the $10000HKD handout. However SQ has just cancelled my booked flights. Looking at situation on COVID it is unlikely I will go back to HKG by end of next year.

One of the option is for me to contact HSBC International Banking Centre to open HK based bank account. Whilst it costs $200AUD but at least I have access to local HSBC branch in SYD for ID verification etc.

There are ways to open via mobile app of various banks but requires declaration that you are physically at HK at the time of application.

Does anyone else know how I can open HK based bank account whilst overseas?

Gongzuokuang Sep 16, 2020 1:19 pm

Originally Posted by kamchatsky (Post 32678577)
I was planning to go back to HK in April next year, to open a HK based bank account for the $10000HKD handout. However SQ has just cancelled my booked flights. Looking at situation on COVID it is unlikely I will go back to HKG by end of next year.

One of the option is for me to contact HSBC International Banking Centre to open HK based bank account. Whilst it costs $200AUD but at least I have access to local HSBC branch in SYD for ID verification etc.

There are ways to open via mobile app of various banks but requires declaration that you are physically at HK at the time of application.

Does anyone else know how I can open HK based bank account whilst overseas?

I had to physically go to a branch in Hong Kong. I don't think they are flexible about that. Or anything, for that matter! LOL!

Pickles Sep 16, 2020 3:35 pm

Especially HSBC. Ever since they've been repeatedly found guilty of all kinds of money laundering, they're impossibly cranky about who banks with them and who can open an account. Couple it with their atrocious attitude and customer service and you have the bank from hell.

889 Sep 16, 2020 6:11 pm

And even if you do succeed in opening an account at HSBC, you very likely will at some random point in the future receive a letter inviting you to visit your local branch before a date certain to re-establish your identity. Or your account will be automatically suspended on that date certain.

Just a wonderful place to bank.

tentseller Sep 16, 2020 7:04 pm

kamchatsky you got mail

kamchatsky Sep 16, 2020 11:56 pm

Originally Posted by Gongzuokuang (Post 32680234)
I had to physically go to a branch in Hong Kong. I don't think they are flexible about that. Or anything, for that matter! LOL!

Where are you based when you tried to open one?

Originally Posted by Pickles (Post 32680551)
Especially HSBC. Ever since they've been repeatedly found guilty of all kinds of money laundering, they're impossibly cranky about who banks with them and who can open an account. Couple it with their atrocious attitude and customer service and you have the bank from hell.

Well let's see how it goes on this. Given COVID it could take ages to get one opened.

Originally Posted by 889 (Post 32680809)
And even if you do succeed in opening an account at HSBC, you very likely will at some random point in the future receive a letter inviting you to visit your local branch before a date certain to re-establish your identity. Or your account will be automatically suspended on that date certain.

Just a wonderful place to bank.

As long as it is a local HSBC branch I don't mind to be honest. Just need one open.

Originally Posted by tentseller (Post 32680908)
kamchatsky you got mail

Thank you and I have just responded.

Gongzuokuang Sep 17, 2020 7:33 am

Originally Posted by kamchatsky (Post 32681273)
Where are you based when you tried to open one?

I'm USA-based. They have a download packet and you just need to follow their checklist. It can be difficult because they refer to documents that are not commonly used in the USA, such as a "Certificate of Incumbency".

They now annually require you to submit roughly the same documents. I've had problems in the past because I upload ALL of the requested the documents,and then wait MONTHS with no feedback. Every time you log in you get a message saying "Upload your documents or your account faces suspension", which can be unnerving. If you call, they say, "Oh, don't worry, someone will contact you if there is a problem."

I would usually visit HK at the tail end of the "deadline", and would go to a branch to try to get any questions resolved. (It's usually a matter of trying to find the proper US documents that roughly equate to what they want.) One time it is really annoying because last minute, while I was in HK, they asked for a document that needed to be notarized. Of course, HK has notaries. But it is much different than in the USA. Here, a notary basically just certifies that it was you that signed the document; a sort of identity confirmation. But in HK, the notary is much more "intrusive". They wanted to read all the papers, and had questions about them. I needed to sign as the President of the company, and instead of just confirming my identity, they needed proof that I was an officer of the company! And it was pretty expensive. Here notary services are $10 at the UPS store. I don't remember exactly, but it was maybe $1000HKD!

With all that said, I will say that for the most part HSBC works great. It is very helpful to have the account there. It saves on wire transfer fees. It makes payments to factories very fast. Paperwork requirements aside, I am satisfied with HSBC.

aethelwulf Oct 1, 2020 5:40 am

So, you're one of those people.
You don't live in Hong Kong. You could have moved away 20 years ago.
But when the government offers to hand out money, then you're right in there with your hand out, "Gimme gimme gimme!!"

889 Oct 1, 2020 2:25 pm

Just to put this in perspective for those who don't understand the rules.

A HK Permanent ID cardholder who's been living and working, say, in Britain since 1997 qualifies for the HK$10,000 payout whether he has any other ties at all to Hong Kong.

A domestic helper from SE Asia who's been living and working in Hong Kong for years and contributing to the territory's livelihood and economy, does not.

Not to engage in argument, that's for elsewhere here, but the facts should be stated.

theworld Oct 6, 2020 3:51 am

Have you tried one of the recent virtual banks?

I do think you may need an HK phone number though.

kamchatsky Oct 8, 2020 4:57 am

Originally Posted by aethelwulf (Post 32713613)
So, you're one of those people.
You don't live in Hong Kong. You could have moved away 20 years ago.
But when the government offers to hand out money, then you're right in there with your hand out, "Gimme gimme gimme!!"

HK Government sets the rules, not me. I don't mind if I am not qualified. But given I am qualified, there is no reason why I should not try to get the money.

kamchatsky Oct 8, 2020 4:59 am

Originally Posted by 889 (Post 32714999)
Just to put this in perspective for those who don't understand the rules.

A HK Permanent ID cardholder who's been living and working, say, in Britain since 1997 qualifies for the HK$10,000 payout whether he has any other ties at all to Hong Kong.

A domestic helper from SE Asia who's been living and working in Hong Kong for years and contributing to the territory's livelihood and economy, does not.

Not to engage in argument, that's for elsewhere here, but the facts should be stated.

Yes, sounds unfair isn't it?

Then again, the HK government sets the rules. I wouldn't be surprised if it is to benefit all their mates and family members who are all migrated overseas long time ago.

kamchatsky Oct 8, 2020 5:00 am

Originally Posted by theworld (Post 32726006)
Have you tried one of the recent virtual banks?

I do think you may need an HK phone number though.

Yes, ZA Bank is an option, but I don't have a HK based phone number. I also think you need a HK address.

theworld Oct 8, 2020 8:16 pm

Originally Posted by kamchatsky (Post 32731849)
Yes, ZA Bank is an option, but I don't have a HK based phone number. I also think you need a HK address.

Have you go a phone with an esim? I think some providers in HK offer esims?

garykung Nov 9, 2020 1:57 am

Late to the party.

Originally Posted by kamchatsky (Post 32678577)

Some may. But not all.

Originally Posted by Gongzuokuang (Post 32680234)

I was able to open a Bank of Communication account without going to a branch. For the record, the opening was done by Mobile App. And I was in the U.S. at the time of the opening. I even scored its promotion for a $100 bonus.

I do have other bank accounts in Hong Kong as well.

Originally Posted by Gongzuokuang (Post 32681818)
But in HK, the notary is much more "intrusive". They wanted to read all the papers, and had questions about them.

Originally Posted by Gongzuokuang (Post 32681818)
And it was pretty expensive. Here notary services are $10 at the UPS store. I don't remember exactly, but it was maybe $1000HKD!

Notary is a public service frequently used in the U.S., but not in Hong Kong (as most people in Hong Kong are able to sign in-person). So notary fee is usually capped in the U.S. but not Hong Kong. Also, only qualified lawyers can become a Hong Kong notary. Hence, the document review and the high costs.

Originally Posted by kamchatsky (Post 32731849)

You need to have an address at the minimum regardless of banks. They need to be able to mail you the banking stuffs at least. Or at least, even an account is not yet ready, this address is what you need to send in a paper form for the cheque.