Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Hong Kong and Macau
Reload this Page >

HK/China land crossings re-opening 18th May?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

HK/China land crossings re-opening 18th May?

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2020, 9:59 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by BuildingMyBento
The few times I did the Luo Ma Zhou crossing last November, there were barely any visitors.
Immd publishes the numbers https://www.immd.gov.hk/eng/stat_20200514.html . I'm not sure who are the "visitors" given the current restrictions.
Old May 14, 2020, 10:39 pm

As we've discussed before, the "only-residents" rule has exceptions, such as non-resident spouses of residents, non-residents/non-Chinese entering at Shenzhen Bay if they've spent the past 14 days in the Mainland, non-residents needed by the Government, etc.
Old May 14, 2020, 11:38 pm

Originally Posted by 889
non-resident spouses of residents
Other Visitors: yes. We have not revoked visa exemptions en masse, so an Australian non-resident spouse of a HK resident is still allowed to visit, provided s/he is willing to sit out 14 days in home quarantine and take the two PCR tests, yes.

Originally Posted by 889
non-residents needed by the Government
As approved by the Chief Secretary, yes

Originally Posted by 889
non-residents/non-Chinese entering at Shenzhen Bay if they've spent the past 14 days in the Mainland
Mainland stopped issuing G簽, L簽 and S簽 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exit-E...Two-way_Permit at our request in early Feb. 簽-less transit should still be out because we require 14 days quarantine and will not land anyone whose transit rights are only 7 days.

T簽 might still be issued and be valid for <180 days required for Immd to count them as residents. Them then.
Old May 15, 2020, 12:02 am

Not quite sure what you're saying, but the non-resident restriction does not apply to foreigners (non-Chinese) crossing into Hong Kong at Shenzhen Bay, provided they've spent the past 14 days in the Mainland. There are quite a large number of foreigners still in the Mainland on L visas, which the Chinese Government has automatically extended for 60 days. They can freely leave the Mainland, no exit or other special permit required. They will be quarantined for 14 days in Hong Kong. And if coming from other parts of China they might also be quarantined first for 14 days on arrival in Shenzhen, I'm not sure about the Shenzhen rules.
Old May 15, 2020, 12:51 am

Originally Posted by 889
Not quite sure what you're saying, but the non-resident restriction does not apply to foreigners (non-Chinese) crossing into Hong Kong at Shenzhen Bay, provided they've spent the past 14 days in the Mainland. There are quite a large number of foreigners still in the Mainland on L visas, which the Chinese Government has automatically extended for 60 days. They can freely leave the Mainland, no exit or other special permit required. They will be quarantined for 14 days in Hong Kong. And if coming from other parts of China they might also be quarantined first for 14 days on arrival in Shenzhen, I'm not sure about the Shenzhen rules.
OIC. I misunderstood your point.

But like residents coming back to HK, that must be a dwindling number because they are currently not allowed back - it's a one-way trip.
Old May 15, 2020, 1:12 am

Actually, there may be more coming because that automatic 60-day Mainland visa extension will be expiring soon for many, and it's not yet clear whether further extensions will be given. Waiting in HK until the Mainland re-admits foreigners may seem more attractive than returning home, depending on where home is and conditions there.
Old May 15, 2020, 1:18 am

I know some Mainland resident permit holders were holing up in Hong Kong since mid-March waiting for Mainland re-opening

I think they’re still here.
Cryofern likes this.
Old May 15, 2020, 2:07 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by percysmith
I know some Mainland resident permit holders were holing up in Hong Kong since mid-March waiting for Mainland re-opening

I think they’re still here.
​​​​​One of the guys you and I have been chatting with has basically resigned himself to staying put there (i.e more practical than waiting on shanghai to welcome him back).
Old May 15, 2020, 2:24 am

The problem is, heading back to the U.S. or Europe is very risky because it's likely that when China does re-open, it'll re-open in stages. I think it's fair to say that those coming from infected areas like the U.S. and Europe will be waiting longer to return to China than those coming from almost-infection-free and part-of-China Hong Kong. The only concern would be the possibility that China stages admission not on where you've actually been but on your nationality.
Old May 18, 2020, 7:47 pm

RTHK is reporting that the Government will be extending the social distancing measures until at least June 4, of all dates.

At this snail's pace, I cannot imagine when Hong Kong will be open again to all without quarantine. Frankly, if you're stuck in Singapore or elsewhere waiting for Hong Kong to re-open you might want to consider making other plans.

There seems to be a reasonable possibility that parts of Europe will be re-opening in mid-Summer, and I suspect the Government will be keeping quarantine measures in effect to deter Hong Kong people from travelling overseas in July and August. That is, the quarantine rules work to keep people in Hong Kong as well as to keep people out.

https://news.rthk.hk/rthk/en/compone...0-20200518.htm
Old May 18, 2020, 9:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by garykung
We don't need to argue no more. We just have to see if the borders are going to be re-opened near May 18.
As expected, the borders did not open as claimed by OP.

I would say this is open and shut that the rumor is indeed inaccurate, if not fake.
Old May 19, 2020, 12:12 am

A few weeks ago the Government was preparing quarantine exemptions for certain categories of border crossers, but that seems to have fallen off the radar. Can qualifying people apply for these exemptions now or is everything in limbo?

My guess is that Beijing has ordered "no changes" until after the Two Meetings conclude. At which point I guess we'll find out whether the 200-plus Hong Kong delegates to those meetings will be quarantined on their return.
Old May 19, 2020, 3:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by 889
A few weeks ago the Government was preparing quarantine exemptions for certain categories of border crossers, but that seems to have fallen off the radar. Can qualifying people apply for these exemptions now or is everything in limbo?
The problem is not from Hong Kong, but the Mainland, specifically Shenzhen, does not want to do so. Even Hong Kong is willing to waive quarantine, Shenzhen is not.
Old May 20, 2020, 12:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: CX, BA
Neither rumour nor fake - sorry to disappoint.

You have answered yourself as to the reason - not HK but local SHZ health authorities are absolutely paranoid (probably correctly) that with mistrust of HK health control, that by opening the borders could lead to many 'imported' cases, which if large in quantity would have an enforced shut down of Shenzhen, something the Guangdong government will not risk due to potential damage to the local economy.
Old May 20, 2020, 1:08 am

Just out of curiosity, why do you say "(probably correctly)" there? At least in Hong Kong, I'm not aware of any widespread feeling that the Hong Kong authorities are fudging the figures. If they were, wouldn't Apple Daily be jumping on it?

Last edited by 889; May 20, 2020 at 1:44 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.