Search

Tai O and the Outlying Islands

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2020, 5:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Tai O and the Outlying Islands

With the Coronavirus problem and the closure of many tourist attractions, is there still transit going to Tai O and or the islands like Lamma and Cheung Chau? I was disappointed to learn that the Wetland Park was closed as of January 29th and will remain closed until further notice.
Old Feb 5, 2020, 6:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by lsquare
With the Coronavirus problem and the closure of many tourist attractions, is there still transit going to Tai O and or the islands like Lamma and Cheung Chau? I was disappointed to learn that the Wetland Park was closed as of January 29th and will remain closed until further notice.
These are not tourist attractions but real people live at these islands and villages and they do commute to other places by bus or ferries for livelihood.
lsquare likes this.
Old Feb 6, 2020, 1:52 am

All buses to Tai O and outlying ferries are still operating as normal.

??????(????)????
Hong Kong & Kowloon Ferry Holdings Limited
New World First Ferry Services Limited
lsquare likes this.
Old Feb 6, 2020, 2:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tentseller
These are not tourist attractions but real people live at these islands and villages and they do commute to other places by bus or ferries for livelihood.
My apologies. It seems like the government is discouraging people from travelling so I wasn't sure if I can still go there via transit even though Google Maps said it was possible. Just wanted to ask to be sure. I'll be back in HK very soon. HK isn't all about work. Gotta have fun too.
Old Feb 6, 2020, 2:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hkskyline
All buses to Tai O and outlying ferries are still operating as normal.

??????(????)????
Hong Kong & Kowloon Ferry Holdings Limited
New World First Ferry Services Limited
Thx. I felt compelled to ask given the circumstances in HK at the moment.
Old Feb 6, 2020, 4:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by lsquare
My apologies. It seems like the government is discouraging people from travelling so I wasn't sure if I can still go there via transit even though Google Maps said it was possible. Just wanted to ask to be sure. I'll be back in HK very soon. HK isn't all about work. Gotta have fun too.
Wetland Park is a park like Disney/Ocean, so closing it would reduce places where the public can spread \the virus.
Old Feb 6, 2020, 4:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tentseller
Wetland Park is a park like Disney/Ocean, so closing it would reduce places where the public can spread \the virus.
I've been there many years ago, but to be fair, it's not quite like Disney/Ocean, but I get your point. I'm just asking. No harm done right?
Old Feb 6, 2020, 8:03 am

I haven't been there yet, but my recollection is that Wetlands Park is just a series of boardwalks over, well, wetlands and that's it: no rides, no fireworks, no dolphins, no billion dollar Government subsidies. Good for bird-watching at the right times of year. A nice escape from the city at other times.

As to transport changes, check the Transport Department's news releases from time to time. They usually mention route suspensions and cancellations.

https://www.td.gov.hk/en/publication...0-month_2.html
lsquare likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.