FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hong Kong and Macau (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hong-kong-macau-436/)
-   -   Hong Kong/Macau e-Channel Suspension (Wuhan coronavirus outbreak) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hong-kong-macau/2006295-hong-kong-macau-e-channel-suspension-wuhan-coronavirus-outbreak.html)

garykung Jan 26, 2020 1:13 pm

Hong Kong/Macau e-Channel Suspension (Wuhan coronavirus outbreak)

Effective immediately, in response to Wuhan coronavirus outbreak and imposed travel restrictions, e-channel usages for all nonresidents for both Hong Kong and Macau are now suspended until further notice.

In other word, unless you have a HKID/Macau ID, you will not be able to use e-Channel in either places.

Gongzuokuang Jan 27, 2020 5:37 pm

I'm wondering why? Are immigration officers supposed to be scanning for signs of illness while they are collecting the silly immigration forms?

889 Jan 27, 2020 5:49 pm

Somebody is, since residents of Hubei and those who've visited the province within the past 14 days are now prohibited from entering Hong Kong, unless they are HK residents.

MSPeconomist Jan 27, 2020 6:54 pm

Originally Posted by Gongzuokuang (Post 32001774)
I'm wondering why? Are immigration officers supposed to be scanning for signs of illness while they are collecting the silly immigration forms?

Presumably immigration officers are looking at passports and other travel documents for evidence of the person having been near Wuhan/Hubei.

TA Jan 27, 2020 9:20 pm

What logic is there to assuming that HK residents are less likely to be carrying a disease and warrant less screening?

889 Jan 27, 2020 9:33 pm

I don't make the rules, but I assume that there are some legal issues that would make barring return of permanent residents difficult. As well, the government can quarantine returning residents: they are still subject to health screening. Of course it can quarantine non-residents too, but since quarantine facilities are limited, why admit non-residents at high risk that might take up places at those facilities.

Cryofern Jan 28, 2020 4:19 am

Not necessarily answering your question, but the immigration officer asked something about having been in Hubei (recently or what? I didn't hear clearly). No other questions.

​​​​​For arrival at the West Kowloon high-speed rail terminus on 2020-01-27, the main health-related thing was before immigration (for both the mainland and Hong Kong parts), where everybody had to complete a form about where the traveler had recently been, health symptoms, and contact details. The whole thing had a feeling of being recent; a Chinese-only sign was replaced with Chinese+English while I was waiting.

I don't know the procedure at the airport; I arrived via the airport on 2020-01-24, but this was before this change.

Actually, there was one additional interesting thing I noticed: the e-channel machine at the airport on 2020-01-24 gave me a slip for a 90-day stay, but the immigration officer at the West Kowloon terminus on 2020-01-27 gave me a slip for a 60-day stay. I don't know if this was related to the health issues or just a mistake.

889 Jan 28, 2020 4:27 am

" . . . but the immigration officer at the West Kowloon terminus on 2020-01-27 gave me a slip for a 60-day stay."

I've always had the impression that this was done automatically by the computer, that to give less than 90 days (for Westerners, etc.) the immigration officer would have to make some positive intervention.

Visconti Jan 28, 2020 2:28 pm

Some differences entering HKG this time, at least for me:

1. Upon deboarding, noticed almost everyone and airport staff in masks. I have on sunglasses too, so one upped them on this "we're doing" something effort.
2. There are many more screeners along the way as one makes his way to immigration, and some with things to gauge temperature. I noticed they were screening those ages most likely at risk.
3. Immigration officer (skipped e-channel assuming it wouldn't work for me this time) asked if I've visited not only the affected areas but China in general for the last 14 days. Before I answered, he requested I remove my sunglasses and mask.
4. Never before seen any immigration officer anywhere, except ironically for the PRC, examine my Passport so thoroughly. LOL. Took some time for him to go through all the pages.

And, that's it. With that, I'm in HK and hopefully won't bring this thing back to my home country. For this trip, think I'll just avoid crowds, live on room service, and just get out of here when my business is completed. Probably would keep my sunglasses & masks on the entire return flight and choose not to eat or drink anything.

PS - Was advised goggles would be more effective, but I'd rather risk contracting this thing than looking that stupid. Imagine goggles in a suit, never live that one down. Since I know nothing about pathogens, I assume it's safest to have soup based dishes, since the boiling would have killed anything in it?

889 Jan 28, 2020 4:17 pm

Did you get a slip for the usual 90 days?

Visconti Jan 28, 2020 4:45 pm

Originally Posted by 889 (Post 32005668)
Did you get a slip for the usual 90 days?

Yes, just checked and it's for 90 days. Generally, I really don't keep track of the slip and have even discarded them (I know, not wise or prudent, but...), but this time I'll keep it and my Passport on my person at all times.

garykung Jan 28, 2020 10:07 pm

I'm wondering why?

2 reasons.

1. There is no way to know who has been Hubei for the last 14 days. So questioning is the only method.

2. The document scanner is not capable to identify document issued to Hubei residents.

Originally Posted by TA (Post 32002335)
What logic is there to assuming that HK residents are less likely to be carrying a disease and warrant less screening?

Hong Kong residents have certain rights in immigration. That's why they will be allowed to enter even they are infected.

Originally Posted by Cryofern (Post 32003080)
I don't know if this was related to the health issues or just a mistake.

I would have to say neither.

The visa-free travel is "up to" 90 days. So it is within the Immigration Department to give more or less, as soon as it does not exceed 90 days.

Also - most travelers admit from West Kowloon only get 7 day.

I would say it is a practice for West Kowloon to give fewer days.

hkskyline Jan 29, 2020 8:36 pm

Mainland visitors need to fill out a health declaration form to submit to the immigration officer, who may question whether the visitor has been to the epicentre in the past 14 days. So they can't use the e-channels anymore.

:D! Jan 29, 2020 10:33 pm

Originally Posted by hkskyline (Post 32010553)
Mainland visitors need to fill out a health declaration form to submit to the immigration officer, who may question whether the visitor has been to the epicentre in the past 14 days. So they can't use the e-channels anymore.

While HK residents cannot be denied entry to HK, shouldn't everyone entering HK, including HK residents, be asked where they have been recently?

kamchatsky Jan 29, 2020 10:44 pm

Originally Posted by :D! (Post 32010806)
While HK residents cannot be denied entry to HK, shouldn't everyone entering HK, including HK residents, be asked where they have been recently?

My family and I caught the Guangzhou East - HK intercity train 4 days ago (line is closed from today onwards). I am HK Citizen, my wife and kids are Australian citizens, my parent in laws have PRC Chinese passports. All of us have to fill the health declaration form and submit them at Guangzhou East.