Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Hong Kong and Macau
Reload this Page >

Wuhan coronavirus outbreak — worries as it spread to HK & beyond

Wuhan coronavirus outbreak — worries as it spread to HK & beyond

Old Jul 17, 2021, 9:04 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by percysmith
Not a UK matter, but HK's Department of Health is investigating a double vaccination (i.e. four mRNA doses) case of a newly-arrived resident who's just done exactly what I've suggested.

The double-vaccination case was originally a Singaporean resident and has taken two doses of Moderna before leaving Singapore and has Singapore Ministry of Health paperwork. But after having moved to HK, he's worried about not being admitted to bars (which are required to check vaccination records) so he took two shots of Biontech which he is eligible to do HK residents and got his HK Department of Health paperwork , but didn't disclose his prior Singapore Moderna vaccination vaccination.

A local TV channel looked into his case
???? i-CABLE - ???????????????????????????????????
???? i-CABLE - ???????????????????????????????????
He seems to have suffered few ill effects from the repeat vaccination.
Side effects on third injection were no worse than his second, and he hardly felt any for his fourth.
The channel also arranged for him to take an antibody test (HK's proposed blood serum antibody tests for reduced quarantine), his antibody levels are off the charts.

Hong Kong DoH also looked into his case and said no staff involved in the HK vaccination of the case appeared to have done anything wrong
???? i-CABLE - ??????????????????
Old Aug 7, 2021, 10:38 pm

“Almost half a year into the territory’s immunization program with freely available shots, seniors are still staying away, due in part to advice from ultra-cautious doctors to defer inoculation if they have chronic conditions not yet under control.”

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...ong-s-recovery
Old Aug 7, 2021, 11:11 pm
exp
Suspended

Programs: DL, UA, AA, VS
These are medical doctors or herbal medicine doctors?
Old Aug 8, 2021, 12:49 am

Originally Posted by exp
These are medical doctors or herbal medicine doctors?
Members of the MCHK
Old Aug 8, 2021, 2:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2.7MM, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Spire
“Almost half a year into the territory’s immunization program with freely available shots, seniors are still staying away, due in part to advice from ultra-cautious doctors to defer inoculation if they have chronic conditions not yet under control.”

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...ong-s-recovery
Wow. That is the flat out opposite of the advice they should receive.
Old Aug 9, 2021, 2:04 am
exp
Suspended

Members of the MCHK
What is MCHK?
Old Aug 10, 2021, 12:14 am

Medical Council of Hong Kong, the doctors' trade organisation.
Old Aug 12, 2021, 8:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by 889
Medical Council of Hong Kong, the doctors' trade organisation.
Doctors' UNION
Old Aug 12, 2021, 8:43 am

I probably should have been clearer and described it as the doctors' trade protectionist organisation.
Old Aug 12, 2021, 2:40 pm
exp
Suspended

But they’re doctors of western medicine, not some herbalists?
Old Aug 17, 2021, 5:00 am

We should learn how to live with the virus, true, but we're gonna still shut the border to Johnny Foreigner anyway https://www.washingtonpost.com/busin...270_story.html
Old Aug 17, 2021, 6:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

We should learn how to live with the virus, true, but we're gonna still shut the border to Johnny Foreigner anyway https://www.washingtonpost.com/busin...270_story.html
Hong Kong would be following the same path as Singapore as far as living with Covid now if they didn’t have to take instructions from zero Covid land to the north.
Old Aug 17, 2021, 9:09 pm

Originally Posted by travelinmanS
Hong Kong would be following the same path as Singapore as far as living with Covid now if they didn’t have to take instructions from zero Covid land to the north.
Isn't Singapore where we're at now? They have a plan to go further, but they haven't implemented enough of it to get ahead of HK...
Old Aug 17, 2021, 11:18 pm
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Isn't Singapore where we're at now? They have a plan to go further, but they haven't implemented enough of it to get ahead of HK...
Well the first step in the Singapore plan is to get to 80% vaccinated, which they are implementing quite well as they have reached about 75% so far while HK is still at 45%. And SG uses Pfizer/Moderna while a third of HK is a mainland vaccine.

Also as mentioned above elderly people in HK haven't been vaccinated because doctors are too scared to do their job properly. My dad is 70yo and had minor surgery to his hand in June. A doctor advised that he doesn't get the vaccine until 2 months after the surgery "just in case", of what I don't know - if he gets a fever for a day his friend can bring him takeaway, but if he gets SARS CoV 2 he has a high chance of dying and I can't do anything about it for 22 days.

Meanwhile AFAIK all my elderly SG relatives must have done it, because they stopped sending me anti-vax propaganda a few months ago.
Old Aug 17, 2021, 11:57 pm

That isn't a Singapore innovation, every government would love to reach 80% vaccination.
I can argue HKSARG has the physical wherewithal to do it faster, our vaccine availability is better than them.

However I always envisaged, and see it in vaccination numbers, that Singaporeans will vaccinate quicker than us:
SG: siege mentality, more trust in authority, liability system where you don't really win against the government.
HK: mistrust, more likely to believe Government has ulterior motives (like trying to accelerate reopening to the North) and a culture as well as a system of blame.
uanj and :D! like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.