Wuhan coronavirus outbreak — worries as it spread to HK & beyond

Old May 15, 20, 11:58 am

Programs: CX Gold
Originally Posted by helvetic View Post
I am dying in forcible imprisonment here,
???
Old May 15, 20, 9:02 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Asia Miles. Not bothering to join Marco Polo.
It won't become Singapore, because unlike in SG, nobody respects the gov't. I am dying in forcible imprisonment here, while in HK even if they tried to make the same rules I could just ignore them and tell the cops to shove it. Very important difference.
I thought some businesses reopened on 5 May, with more to follow this Tuesday https://edition.cnn.com/2020/05/14/a...hnk/index.html

But if you mean you rather no rules were imposed, that's a tricky one. Some people put off going out for dinner when our numbers were high anyway. But we needed rules to stop some businesses from running (e.g. beauty parlours esp those that make people pay up way in advance) and also guidance to take office workers off commuting (i.e. lots of sizeable HK Cos follow government's lead on WFH)
Old May 15, 20, 11:51 pm
Original Poster
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Originally Posted by percysmith View Post
I thought some businesses reopened on 5 May, with more to follow this Tuesday https://edition.cnn.com/2020/05/14/a...hnk/index.html
Pretty meaningless changes to the quality of life of us imprisoned here. Sure we can go book acupuncture or buy some traditional medicine now after a 2-week supplemental ban was put in place. But we still don't have the basic freedom to see other people or go out of our homes for any non-essential reason.

This is nothing at all like the HK restrictions which at their highest were minor (ok, bars were closed for a few weeks).
Old May 16, 20, 2:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Alright, so what's the latest on the entry restrictions in HK to foreigners who have been in China/TW for 14 days. I may be able to get into TW, which would give me a window in early June to get into HK. I'm not keen on 28 days of quarantining, though. Did they work out the meaning of the exemption on business travel?
Old May 16, 20, 5:38 am

If you've spent fourteen days in Taiwan, then you can enter Hong Kong even though you're a non-resident. But for the time being you'll be subject to fourteen days' home quarantine in Hong Kong, though there were reports this week that discussions are ongoing that may relax that rule. But it will probably be relaxation only for a limited class of travellers.

I haven't read anything detailing the procedures for seeking a quarantine exemption when returning from the Mainland.

(I assume you've read about the U.S. pilot sentenced to four weeks' imprisonment for breaking quarantine in Singapore.)
Old May 16, 20, 8:03 am

Pretty meaningless changes to the quality of life of us imprisoned here. Sure we can go book acupuncture or buy some traditional medicine now after a 2-week supplemental ban was put in place. But we still don't have the basic freedom to see other people or go out of our homes for any non-essential reason.
We lucked out. We truly lucked out. What’s the difference between Singapore’s dorms and HK’s cage homes? And where will Hong Kong house 0.3m people if it really came to it https://www.hk01.com/%E7%A4%BE%E6%9C...556-5%E5%91%8E ?
helvetic and Cryofern like this.
Old May 16, 20, 8:11 am

Alright, so what's the latest on the entry restrictions in HK to foreigners who have been in China/TW for 14 days. I may be able to get into TW, which would give me a window in early June to get into HK. I'm not keen on 28 days of quarantining, though. Did they work out the meaning of the exemption on business travel?
https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/...-and-guangdong
helvetic likes this.
Old May 16, 20, 10:46 pm

Pretty meaningless changes to the quality of life of us imprisoned here.
Singapore is down but not out, still fighting https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-05-17/here-s-what-it-will-take-to-reopen-singapore-s-economy
Old May 31, 20, 9:55 am
Original Poster

So, I've finally made my way over to Taiwan.

As of yet, no renewal of the June 7th expiring China quarantine rule? Arriving in mid-June from TW would be quarantine-free as far as I can tell. I'm not missing anything, right?
Cryofern likes this.
Old May 31, 20, 1:45 pm

I haven't heard any encouraging noises about elimination of the quarantine requirement for arrivals from "China" come June 7. Indeed, the Government has not yet implemented the very limited quarantine exemptions it announced weeks ago for students and such, even though classes have already resumed. Officials seem mired in molasses when it comes to plannng a return to normal.

Just one possibly encouraging sign, though. The property market this weekend did very well, and that's very surprising after one of the worst weeks in Hong Kong's recent history. Perhaps buyers expect the border to re-open, bringing Mainlanders -- and higher prices -- back to the market. Who knows.
Old Jun 2, 20, 6:18 pm

Extension of HK quarantine: CN/MO/TW 7 Jul, rest of world 18 Sep

“而針對內地、澳門和台灣入境者的入境檢疫要求,會延長至7月7日,其他地區要求延長至9月18 日”

http://news.now.com/home/local/playe...69&refer=Share
Old Jun 2, 20, 10:15 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.

Very conservative.

Some EU nations are plowing ahead, trying to recoup some part of the summer tourism season and we know many parts of the US is hell-bent on reopening.
Old Jun 3, 20, 6:27 am
Original Poster

That's disappointing. There go my hope of quarantine-free arrival. Argh. Now I know.
Old Jun 3, 20, 7:06 am

Although it doesn't affect you since you're in Taiwan, Cathay now shows this additional category of permitted entrants to Hong Kong:

"Passengers holding a new entry visa to work, study, establish or join in any business, or to take up residence in Hong Kong."

https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_...hong-kong.html
helvetic likes this.
Old Jun 14, 20, 10:40 pm

Programs: UA 2MM, Marriott LT Plat, IHG Spire

What are the chances that this date will hold for US citizens? If this is for real I want to buy a ticket and arrive on the 18th or shortly thereafter. Thanks!

Search this Thread
Search Engine: