Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Hong Kong and Macau
Reload this Page >

Wuhan coronavirus outbreak worries as it spread to HK & beyond

Wuhan coronavirus outbreak worries as it spread to HK & beyond

Old Apr 18, 20, 6:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by percysmith View Post
My point exactly. Not going to happen.
Yeah, but business (as well as some other non-tourist class) visas can happen. Please don't construe this as a recommendation; I'm just pointing out that it is possible for the determined.
Old Apr 18, 20, 7:28 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Asia Miles. Not bothering to join Marco Polo.
Originally Posted by moondog View Post
Yeah, but business (as well as some other non-tourist class) visas can happen. Please don't construe this as a recommendation; I'm just pointing out that it is possible for the determined.
Yep I said that too re HK (though not in a HK to China specific context):

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cath...l#post32294066

Absent a vaccine I can only see travel being re-opened in tiers:

a) Long-term visas shouldn't be a problem - HK already still accepts them. They just have to do 14 days upon return, just to deter commuting.

b) Business and commercial travelers will be those who are more equal than others - ABTC cards, membership of certain chambers of commerce etc. may be used an excuse to grant "essential traveller" exemptions from quarantine. Maybe that forms the expectation McKinsey's thinking about.

c) Tourists, transit pax (OP) and group tours will still be dead last, to keep the NIMBYs quiet.
Cross-border merchants attempted to get exemptions - but HK Trade and Industry Dept were quite strict in considering quarantine exemptions https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uteA...ature=youtu.be
Old Apr 18, 20, 11:30 pm
Original Poster
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Mainland China isn't necessarily the only place.

I might also be able to enter ROC/Taiwan if I am allowed an exemption for necessary travel. I do have a valid business reason for an in-person trip to either place (providing samples in person for a Taiwanese investor and potential distribution partner — a large TW company with operations throughout China). Given Taiwan is "a province of China," as far as I can read it also counts as such in the HK rule and 14 days there also gives me an exemption from the no-foreigners-arrival in HK.

Yes I get that that's grasping at straws, but then again we don't have a ton of options here.
Old Apr 18, 20, 11:52 pm

Originally Posted by helvetic View Post
I do have a valid business reason for an in-person trip to either place (providing samples in person for a Taiwanese investor and potential distribution partner — a large TW company with operations throughout China).
"2. Passengers are not allowed to enter Chinese Taipei.
- This does not apply to passengers who can prove they are fulfilling commercial and contractual obligations
3. Passengers allowed to enter must observe a 14-day home quarantine upon arrival."

And from Taiwan you can proceed to Hong Kong, albeit with another 14 day quarantine. AFAIK (anyone please correct me if I got this wrong) we haven't suspended visa exemptions for anyone who had it - the only condition they must be present only in "mainland of China, Chinese Taipei or Macao SAR, China in the past 14 days".

I wonder how airlines are going to assess the "commercial and contractual obligations" ground?
I don't think at this present time, airport check-in want to risk leafing through a contract only to have the Taiwan CDC to say they shouldn't have boarded you - they'll simply deny you boarding instead (have seen plenty of cases in past two months).

You may either:
- write to BOCA TW for an approval letter (answer to Q5 of Mar 19
https://www.boca.gov.tw/cp-220-5081-c06dc-2.html); or
- apply for special entry permit from a TECO office in the US https://www.roc-taiwan.org/bahr_en/post/334.html
to acquire documentary evidence that the TW authorities will let you land (provide to airline).
helvetic likes this.

Last edited by percysmith; Apr 19, 20 at 12:01 am
Old Apr 19, 20, 8:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Suppose someone has accepted a new job in Hong Kong, it's a professional position scheduled to start in about three months and I realize the situation could be very different by then. This would be a USA citizen (with family) and a local employer rather than a branch of a multinational company. AFAIK they would normally get the residence permit after arrival in Hong Kong, and either enter without a visa or get some sort of working visa from the Hong Kong consulate (?) in the USA in advance.

The current rules would require the COVID-19 test and quarantine for fourteen days in a hotel upon arrival (or maybe in an apartment if this has been arranged in advance, but usually a new apartment requires lots of shopping errands and isn't fit for an immediate fourteen days without leaving), but can someone enter Hong Kong who doesn't yet have a residence permit but is entitled to one? Could the person be on the payroll and collect salary (for "working at home") during the quarantine period?
Old Apr 19, 20, 8:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
Suppose someone has accepted a new job in Hong Kong, it's a professional position scheduled to start in about three months and I realize the situation could be very different by then. This would be a USA citizen (with family) and a local employer rather than a branch of a multinational company. AFAIK they would normally get the residence permit after arrival in Hong Kong, and either enter without a visa or get some sort of working visa from the Hong Kong consulate (?) in the USA in advance.

The current rules would require the COVID-19 test and quarantine for fourteen days in a hotel upon arrival (or maybe in an apartment if this has been arranged in advance, but usually a new apartment requires lots of shopping errands and isn't fit for an immediate fourteen days without leaving), but can someone enter Hong Kong who doesn't yet have a residence permit but is entitled to one? Could the person be on the payroll and collect salary (for "working at home") during the quarantine period?
Employment and Visit Visas Section Address : 24th Floor, Immigration Tower,
7 Gloucester Road, Wan Chai Working Hours : 8:45am - 5:00pm (Mon - Fri)
Closed on Saturdays, Sundays and public holidays Telephone Number: General Enquiries
Hotline : 2824 6111
Fax-line : 2877 7711
E-mail :[email protected]

As for getting paid during quarantine, that's between the employee and the employer.
Old Apr 19, 20, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Earth. Residency:HKG formerly:YYZ Business: ATL, PVG, PEK, CAN, SZX, MNL, SIN, KUL, BKK, SGN, CPT, UIO
Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
... or get some sort of working visa from the Hong Kong consulate (?) in the USA in advance.

Closed on Saturdays, Sundays and public holidays Telephone Number: General Enquiries

As for getting paid during quarantine, that's between the employee and the employer.
Since there is no HK Consulate in the US, the contact Moondog provided is the best avenue. It also depends on who his new employer is.

It would be best, if budget allow, to stay in an extended-stay furnished suite and look for permanent accommodations and equipping it at the same time.

There will be big adjustments from the Twin City MN to HK in terms of type and size of accommodations.
Old Apr 19, 20, 10:43 am

(Amend 23:56) The applicant's employer can file for work visa on applicant's behalf https://www.immd.gov.hk/eng/services....html#firstTab ? An entry permit label is issued to applicant's employer upon successful processing.

Normally applicants land in HK as visitors https://geoexpat.com/forum/54/thread342498.html and pick up both the visa, then do a visa run to Macau to activate it. This would not be necessary if there is sufficient time to prepare the work visa in advance of arrival.

The applicant won't have a HKID though "This does not apply to residents of Hong Kong SAR, China with a Identity card accompanied by a valid work or study visa.". The applicant and/or the employer may still need to consult Immd about how to workaround the HKID requirement.

Last edited by percysmith; Apr 19, 20 at 11:14 am
Old Apr 20, 20, 2:45 am

No new infections today April 20, local or imported!

That's the first zero-case day in about six weeks.
Old Apr 20, 20, 8:56 pm

Govt: anything that is closed will continue to be closed for 14 days to 23 April - incl pubs and bars, karaoke venues, mahjong parlours, nightclubs, gyms and amusement venues, and add beauty salons and message parlours to that ???? i-CABLE - ???????????????????????????? .

Four person social distancing rules (incl restaurant eat-in) to continue to 23 April also.
Further extension to 7 May

Old Apr 20, 20, 9:32 pm

Originally, social distancing measures were sold to the public -- in Hong Kong and elsewhere -- as short-term measures intended to flatten the infection curve to avoid a flood of patients that would overwhelm available medical resources.

But the narrative seems to have shifted, with the goal now not to keep the numbers low, but to eradicate completely the virus. And it's been a shift that's taken place very quietly.

I suspect we'll see further extensions of social distancing measures beyond May 7, though that is coincidentally about the same time border restrictions with the Mainland are set to expire.

My own thought, for anyone thinking of heading out of Hong Kong, is that return without restrictions won't be on the cards till September, at least from Europe or N America.

Last edited by 889; Apr 20, 20 at 9:42 pm
Old Apr 20, 20, 9:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Earth. Residency:HKG formerly:YYZ Business: ATL, PVG, PEK, CAN, SZX, MNL, SIN, KUL, BKK, SGN, CPT, UIO
Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Further extension to 7 May

If I read this correctly re: HKG arrival

The testing centre will be at Kowloon City Regal (formerly Kai Tai Regal). New arrivees will stay there until a negative test result and then they head "home" to complete the 14 days?
Old Apr 20, 20, 9:39 pm

From other stories I've read, I think that for afternoon and evening arrivals, testing cannot be completed the same day, so those passengers will spend the night at the hotel.
Old Apr 21, 20, 1:25 am

Some relaxation in restaurant capacity factors

Old Apr 21, 20, 4:45 am
Original Poster
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Any thoughts on the mainland arrivals without quarantine?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: