Wuhan coronavirus outbreak — worries as it spread to HK & beyond

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wuhan coronavirus outbreak — worries as it spread to HK & beyond

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2020, 10:16 pm

What are YOU talking about?

The opportunity for "new" visas is right there at the bottom of your quote. Or read the original Foreign Ministry announcement instead:

"Entry by foreign nationals with visas issued after this announcement will not be affected."

https://www.fmprc.gov.cn/mfa_eng/wjbxw/t1761867.shtml

I'm not saying he's likely to actually get a visa from a Chinese embassy: I think he's wasting his time. Just pointing out that the restriction only affects foreigners holding tourist etc visas issued on or before March 26. And if he's desperate beyond desperate there's no harm in heading to an embassy and asking.
Cryofern likes this.
Old Apr 17, 2020, 10:35 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
"Unlike Hong Kong, the Mainland hasn't actually banned non-residents. "

Can you actually apply for residency permit out-of-country? My understanding is you have to "land" with some long-term visa, stay initially in some hotel, rent a property (can't acquire in the first instance https://www.scmp.com/special-reports...and-china-what) and then apply for 1-5 year residency permit.

Anyone who had one pre-26 March 2020 aren't allowed in.
Old Apr 17, 2020, 10:54 pm

Originally Posted by 889
The opportunity for "new" visas is right there at the bottom of your quote. Or read the original Foreign Ministry announcement instead:

"Entry by foreign nationals with visas issued after this announcement will not be affected."
"Foreign nationals coming to China for necessary economic, trade, scientific or technological activities or out of emergency humanitarian needs may apply for visas at Chinese embassies or consulates. Entry by foreign nationals with visas issued after this announcement will not be affected."

Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the People's Republic of China National Immigration Administration Announcement on the Temporary Suspension of Entry by Foreign Nationals Holding Valid Chinese Visas or Residence Permits

China Visa Application Service Centre under FMCOPRC HK https://bio.visaforchina.org/HKG2_EN/ has read the sentence jointly i.e. you can apply for visa only for necessary economic, trade, scientific or technological activities or out of emergency humanitarian needs.

Last edited by percysmith; Apr 17, 2020 at 11:07 pm
Old Apr 17, 2020, 11:11 pm
Original Poster
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Originally Posted by percysmith
"Foreign nationals coming to China for necessary economic, trade, scientific or technological activities or out of emergency humanitarian needs may apply for visas at Chinese embassies or consulates. Entry by foreign nationals with visas issued after this announcement will not be affected."

Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the People's Republic of China National Immigration Administration Announcement on the Temporary Suspension of Entry by Foreign Nationals Holding Valid Chinese Visas or Residence Permits

China Visa Application Service Centre under FMCOPRC HK https://bio.visaforchina.org/HKG2_EN/ has read the sentence jointly i.e. you can apply for visa only for necessary economic, trade, scientific or technological activities or out of emergency humanitarian needs.

Ah, then with the right connections perhaps a visa to China can be arranged. 2 weeks in Shenzhen could be okay.
Old Apr 17, 2020, 11:16 pm

Of course he has to demonstrate some need for the visa, but if he has good business contacts in the Mainland, then he MAY be able to produce documents satisfactory to the embassy showing "necessary trade activities" requiring a visit. No suggestion this is a slam dunk; rather it's a straw he can grasp at because he has no other choice.
Old Apr 17, 2020, 11:30 pm

Originally Posted by 889
Of course he has to demonstrate some need for the visa, but if he has good business contacts in the Mainland, then he MAY be able to produce documents satisfactory to the embassy showing "necessary trade activities" requiring a visit. No suggestion this is a slam dunk; rather it's a straw he can grasp at because he has no other choice.
That's quite a Change Of Purpose (when he leaves for HK as soon as compulsory quarantine over) --> possibly deceiving the Chinese NIA.
Old Apr 17, 2020, 11:59 pm

Two weeks is plenty of time to inspect and approve samples, for example, and this can easily be done from a quarantined hotel room. What with all the shipping delays overseas now, it'd take weeks of back-and-forth to do this while overseas. That is, there really are good reasons for some traders to be in China at this time for relatively short periods. Nothing odd about leaving after two weeks.

I don't know anything about the OP's affairs and whether he has sufficient reasons to be in the Mainland to obtain a visa, of course. That's his business.
Old Apr 18, 2020, 12:14 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

That's quite a Change Of Purpose (when he leaves for HK as soon as compulsory quarantine over) --> possibly deceiving the Chinese NIA.
Several months before the Beijing Olympics, there was a crackdown on visa issuance (for a fairly short period of time) and I needed a visa. The requirement basically changed from company invitation letter to government invitation later. I went on ebay (or similar, can't remember), and ended up paying a guy to get one issued for me on an official form. This did not entail any "changes of trip purpose", nor was anyone being deceived.

As you know, I have several friends who are basically waiting in HK to see if the mainland border opens up reasonably soon. They are simultaneously researching other avenues. The problem is, if they get visas now, their RPs will likely get cancelled. Replacing RPs is enough of a pain in the ... to justify holing up in HK for another week or two.

Last edited by moondog; Apr 18, 2020 at 12:48 am
Old Apr 18, 2020, 12:38 am

Originally Posted by moondog
Several months before the Beijing Olympics, there was a crackdown on visa issuance (for a fairly short period of time) and I needed a visa. The requirement basically changed from company invitation letter to government invitation later. I went on ebay (or similar, can't remember), and ended up paying a guy to get one issued for me on an official form. This did not entail ant "changes of trip purpose", nor was anyone being deceived.
That's not a Change Of Purpose - just a change in requirement of attesting person (to one of an authority).

helvetic is really seeking a transit and 889 suggested he apply for a non-transit visa.
Old Apr 18, 2020, 12:39 am

As you know, I have several friends who are basically waiting in HK to see if the mainland border opens up reasonably soon. They are simultaneously researching other avenues. The problem is, if they get visas now, their RPs will likely get cancelled. Replacing RPs is enough of a pain in the ... to justify holing up in HK for another week or two.
Maybe they can tailgate the 23/5 CPCCC/NPCs. Said friends are in HK, they're not really imported.
Old Apr 18, 2020, 12:52 am

Nobody but nobody applies for a Chinese transit visa. And you're not in transit if you're spending two weeks in country. Besides, unless entering a country for residence, you're alway "in transit" someplace else.

Anyway, it's Helvetic who's supposed to be grasping at straws here.

"Replacing RPs is enough of a pain in the ... to justify holing up in HK for another week or two."

Is it reasonably possible China might re-open in a couple of weeks? I had thought June would be earliest, after the big meetings. But that was just conservative thinking.
Old Apr 18, 2020, 2:27 am

I'm not following what you're trying to suggest in post #560 then. helvetic has made it crystal in posts #548 and #551 that his intention is to re-enter HK without a HK resident visa, and he will accept quarantine in China if that will enable him to enter HK.

The only appropriate Chinese visa he should get is a tourist visa (L Visa), but from FMCOPRC HK's notice, China isn't accepting application for those.

Last edited by percysmith; Apr 18, 2020 at 2:38 am
Old Apr 18, 2020, 2:48 am

You're just grasping away at straws trying to find something to niggle about for the sake of niggling.

Helvetica can find out for himself what the current requirements are for a Chinese visa. He can determine for himself whether he qualifies. And if he does he can get the paperwork together and apply.

Period!
Old Apr 18, 2020, 2:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

The only appropriate Chinese visa he should get is a tourist visa (L Visa), but from FMCOPRC HK's notice, China isn't accepting application for those.
You're kidding about the tourist visa, right? That's not going to happen before they reopen to everyone.
Old Apr 18, 2020, 4:49 am

You're kidding about the tourist visa, right? That's not going to happen before they reopen to everyone.
My point exactly. Not going to happen.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.