Reload this Page >

Wuhan coronavirus outbreak — worries as it spread to HK & beyond

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wuhan coronavirus outbreak — worries as it spread to HK & beyond

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2020, 3:58 am

It's a meeting of the NPC Standing Committee, not the whole NPC. I believe 譚耀宗 Tam Yiu-chung is the only Hong Kong delegate on the Standing Committee.
Old Apr 17, 2020, 4:34 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by percysmith
Cap 599C to end on 29 Apr, or will HK’s NPC Delegates be given exemptions?

https://wdata.aastocks.com/apps/news...9301/?lang=Eng
Originally Posted by 889
It's a meeting of the NPC Standing Committee, not the whole NPC. I believe 譚耀宗 Tam Yiu-chung is the only Hong Kong delegate on the Standing Committee.
(Edit 23:12) I wasn't entirely wrong (see NowTV report below)

Last edited by percysmith; Apr 17, 2020 at 9:20 am
Old Apr 17, 2020, 9:20 am

CPCCC: rumours reported by NowTV 21-27 May
NPC: two days after CPCCC dates

NPCSC meeting will approve the above dates.

NowTV says not sure if delegates will get quarantine exemptions, if they still apply
But NowTV also suggests CPCCC/NPC delegates who are also Legco members (10-20 of them incl President Andrew Leung) will get a free pass in order to support passage of HKSAR Budget.

【政情】傳人大政協兩會下月召開 建制議員或留港保預算案
http://news.now.com/home/local/playe...91&refer=Share
Old Apr 17, 2020, 12:46 pm

What am I missing?

Cap. 599C covers arrivals from the Mainland, Macau and Taiwan, and by its terms as they stand today, will expire May 7.

Cap. 599E by its terms will expire June 18, but only covers arrivals from "places outside China."

So under the laws -- as they stand today I stress -- why would arrivals from Beijing in late May be subject to quarantine?
Old Apr 17, 2020, 4:14 pm

Originally Posted by 889
What am I missing?

Cap. 599C covers arrivals from the Mainland, Macau and Taiwan, and by its terms as they stand today, will expire May 7.

Cap. 599E by its terms will expire June 18, but only covers arrivals from "places outside China."

So under the laws -- as they stand today I stress -- why would arrivals from Beijing in late May be subject to quarantine?
Originally Posted by 889
The pending major issue comes May 7, when the restrictions on overland entry from the Mainland are set to expire. I suspect there'll be much public resistance to a full re-opening of the border on that date. Not sure how the Government will finesse this.
Well we're guessing whether HKSARG extends Cap 599C or not.

Remember WWPKG got shouted down by CHP for offering its $168 5-day Eastern China tour package (a loss leader, obviously) commencing after 7 May last week ???? i-CABLE - ????5????????????????6?19?
Old Apr 17, 2020, 4:35 pm

I look at it the other way around: that those meetings may drive the Government to make sure Cap. 599C isn't in effect by the time the delegates return.

It'd be one thing to give Tam Yiu-chung a quarantine exemption after returning from the NPC Standing Committee meeting. There'd be public blowback for sure, but bearable blowback since he's just a single case.

There are, however, over 200 Hong Kong delegates to the NPC/CPCCC. I don't see how the Government could possibly grant such a large number of quarantine exemptions without extraordinary public uproar. So much easier to avoid the issue by making sure Cap. 599C isn't in effect when the delegates return.
Old Apr 17, 2020, 5:03 pm

Originally Posted by 889
There are, however, over 200 Hong Kong delegates to the NPC/CPCCC. I don't see how the Government could possibly grant such a large number of quarantine exemptions without extraordinary public uproar. So much easier to avoid the issue by making sure Cap. 599C isn't in effect when the delegates return.
There are legal grounds to. Section 4 of Cap 599C:
"4. Chief Secretary may exempt certain persons
(1) The Chief Secretary for Administration (Chief Secretary) may designate any person or category of persons for the purposes of section 3(4)(c) or (d) if the Chief Secretary is satisfied that the person’s or persons’ entry into Hong Kong— (L.N. 28 of 2020)
(a) is necessary for the supply of goods or services required for the normal operation of Hong Kong or the daily needs of the people of Hong Kong;
(b) is necessary for governmental operation;
(c) is necessary for the protection of the safety or health of the people of Hong Kong or the handling of the public health emergency; or
(d) because of the exceptional circumstances of the case, otherwise serves the public interest of Hong Kong."

Tenable to argue NPC/CPCCC is (b) and/or (d)(...).

I don't think anyone will get far JRing the NPC/CPCCC HK delegates.

But still, if 599C is extended, even if CS Cheung doesn't make an explicit announcement to the affect, the mere fact a NPC or CPCCC delegate can show up in Beijing and then roam the streets of Central late May would be prima facie evidence that Cheung authorised such an exemption.

Not only will he be subject to the uproar you envisioned.
But every cross-border merchant, minor dignitary and his dog and his cat will apply for an similar exemption. It'd be an administrative embarassment.

Yes, probably lifting 599C is easier. May be easier to extend 599C for two or even three more weeks after the original deadline, "just in time" for the delegates' return.
Old Apr 17, 2020, 8:13 pm
Original Poster
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Originally Posted by 889
Transport is almost completely normal, with a few exceptions: MTR/bus frequency is down a bit, the Disneyland line is closed, etc. No temperature checks or formal mask requirements on public transport, though everyone wears masks anyway.

Temperature checks at restaurants, banks etc, but not at most large malls or supermarkets. Signs often up requiring masks for entry. Libraries, cinemas and similar places remain closed.

With no Mainland visitors or foreign tourists around, the usual crowd bottlenecks are not bottlenecks.

It's the trend that counts, and unless there's a major outbreak next week, I think May will be pretty normal.

The pending major issue comes May 7, when the restrictions on overland entry from the Mainland are set to expire. I suspect there'll be much public resistance to a full re-opening of the border on that date. Not sure how the Government will finesse this.
When is the travel ban set to expire? I need to get back to HK ASAP but for now I'm unable to and it's starting to get incredibly frustrating.

Seems like the answer is June.

Would I get around this by flying to Macau and then taking a bus over, then I'd be an arrival from Macau?
Old Apr 17, 2020, 8:39 pm

There's no travel "ban" in place from anywhere in geographic terms; we've been talking about mandatory quarantine here.

The travel "ban" is on non-residents entering or transiting Hong Kong, no matter where they come from, with an exception for non-residents who've spent the past 14 days in the Mainland, Taiwan or Macau. This ban was set to expire April 7, but has since been extended "till further notice."

The Mainland, Taiwan and Macau are now generally off-limits to non-residents as well. My guess is that by the time you can enter the Mainland, Taiwan or Macau again as a non-resident (and spend 14 days there perhaps in quarantine), Hong Kong will have lifted the restriction on non-residents. So I wouldn't spend much time thinking about that approach.

I would not expect the mandatory quarantine under Cap. 599E for arrivals from outside China to be cancelled before June 18. Maybe, but I don't think it's likely. Indeed, depending on the situation world-wide come mid-June, it could easily be extended.
Cryofern likes this.
Old Apr 17, 2020, 9:41 pm

Originally Posted by helvetic
Would I get around this by flying to Macau and then taking a bus over, then I'd be an arrival from Macau?
You won’t be allowed to board to MFM https://hk.usconsulate.gov/covid-19-information/

And after that I think the bridge is closed to passenger traffic. Ferries suspended earlier than that.
Old Apr 17, 2020, 9:47 pm
Original Poster
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Originally Posted by 889
There's no travel "ban" in place from anywhere in geographic terms; we've been talking about mandatory quarantine here.

The travel "ban" is on non-residents entering or transiting Hong Kong, no matter where they come from, with an exception for non-residents who've spent the past 14 days in the Mainland, Taiwan or Macau. This ban was set to expire April 7, but has since been extended "till further notice."

The Mainland, Taiwan and Macau are now generally off-limits to non-residents as well. My guess is that by the time you can enter the Mainland, Taiwan or Macau again as a non-resident (and spend 14 days there perhaps in quarantine), Hong Kong will have lifted the restriction on non-residents. So I wouldn't spend much time thinking about that approach.

I would not expect the mandatory quarantine under Cap. 599E for arrivals from outside China to be cancelled before June 18. Maybe, but I don't think it's likely. Indeed, depending on the situation world-wide come mid-June, it could easily be extended.
I don't mind doing 14 days of quarantine, but I need to get back to HK. Swiss passport-holder with no HKID. Seems like entry from non-HK "China" is a way in for now, but I guess that's tricky to achieve at the moment. But it does mean if I can spend 14 days in "China" (incl. Macau, Taiwan), I can get in before the non-resident entry ban is lifted.
Old Apr 17, 2020, 9:48 pm

Actually, the Bridge is still open, at least on the Hong Kong end. Yesterday April 17 there were 30 arrivals and 31 departures.

But I think the shuttle buses are running on quite a reduced schedule.
Old Apr 17, 2020, 9:56 pm

Unlike Hong Kong, the Mainland hasn't actually banned non-residents. Instead, they've suspended tourist visas etc issued before the closure. So if you somehow convinced a Chinese embassy to issue you a visa next week, and could find a flight to China, you could enter the Mainland and spend 14 days in quarantine there at your own expense. Then enter HK and spend 14 days in quarantine here.

To put it mildly, you'd have to be very strongly motivated to even consider this option. It'd be at least a month before you could freely walk about Hong Kong.
Old Apr 17, 2020, 10:00 pm

Originally Posted by 889
Unlike Hong Kong, the Mainland hasn't actually banned non-residents. Instead, they've suspended tourist visas etc issued before the closure. So if you somehow convinced a Chinese embassy to issue you a visa next week, and could find a flight to China, you could enter the Mainland and spend 14 days in quarantine there at your own expense. Then enter HK and spend 14 days in quarantine here.
What are you talking about?! China’s not letting any non-citizens in wef 26 Mar! Even residency permit holders, unless you already got in before their foreigner lockdown.

Last edited by percysmith; Apr 17, 2020 at 10:06 pm
Old Apr 17, 2020, 10:04 pm

Originally Posted by 889
Actually, the Bridge is still open, at least on the Hong Kong end. Yesterday April 17 there were 30 arrivals and 31 departures.

But I think the shuttle buses are running on quite a reduced schedule.
pretty sure shuttle buses are shut down https://www.hk01.com/社會新聞/456955/新冠肺...38283;出

your 30/31 are private cars - either dual (Hk and Macau) plated cars, or you arrange a car to drop you off in the Hk exit of macau’s facility and another to pick you up once you pass on the macau end.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.